• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda Game(s) Do You Think Your Opinion of Will Change With Time?

MW7

So obviously people change over time, and no differently our opinions of things can change over time. So my question is in the long term, are there any Zelda games that you would guess that you'd feel differently about five or ten plus years in the future?

These can be negative or a positive changes. You don't have to do both- just do whatever you feel like.

First, I'm fairly certain that I will grow to love Adventure of Link more than most of the games in the series eventually. My experience with the game is fairly new (I beat it last year for the first time), and naturally I was frustrated often by its difficulty and unique gameplay. However, looking back there are several aspects of the game like the magic system and combat that are actually vastly superior to other games in the series (well except that Skyward Sword has better combat). Also I really was just awful at the game, and while I love a challenge, I don't like continuous failure. However, I have to gain some skill eventually if I keep playing the game, and after I'm competent I'm sure the game will be tremendously more fun for me. My prediction is that Adventure of Link will climb my "Favorite Zeldas" list in my signature maybe all the way up to just below Skyward Sword.

Second, every day it seems like I lose a little love for Ocarina of Time. This is due to my discovery and continued playing of A Link to the Past. IMO every single thing that Ocarina of Time does well, A Link to the Past does better. Well really there are some obvious things like graphics and story that are vastly superior in Ocarina of Time, but none of the things that I love about the games is superior in Ocarina of Time IMO(in other words I don't care much about graphics or story). Objective measures like dungeon count and item count are both superior in A Link to the Past. Every time I think of something great about Ocarina of Time, I realize that there's something better in A Link to the Past. I think things like "the Water Temple is one of the best nonlinear dungeon designs ever... but then again A Link to the Past has even better examples of nonlinear dungeons like Skull Woods and Misery Mire." My prediction is that Ocarina of Time will eventually fall in my esteem to just above Wind Waker's quality which would make it about my fourth favorite Zelda.

Well that's all I can think of for now. What Zelda games do you all think your opinions of will change with the passing of time?

im thinking abot playing a link to the past, and like you and many others have said, OoT takes a lot from it. iv never played it (so i dont know) but i'm afraid i might loose a little bit of love for it. the reason i (kinda) know that, is cuz i just played wind waker (after beating skyward sword a little while back) and i recognized a lot of similarities. and iv lost a bit of love for SS, after that :/

I think(and hope) that my opinion of a Link to the Past will change over time. Right now I acually don't like it that much and I'm not sure why everybody says it is the greatest. My opinion could be based on the fact that my game crashed a little while after beating Agahnim and getting to the Dark World; however I found the first three dungeons of the game (excluding Hyrule Castle) to be really tedious and boring, especially the Tower of Hera (which had one of the worst bosses that I've ever fought. But I really hope that if I start it again I'll enjoy the game more.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I will probably start liking the newer titles more and more as time goes on. I really like some of the older games, my opinion is that when a game gets older it gets better.

I actually already have that happening to me....I loved Wind Waker when I first played it. (Though the art, not so much...) But then after I played Twilight Princess, I went back to Wind Waker, and i just don't like it as much as I did before...I almost feel like I feel obligated to like it, as part of the fandom...But I don't know, there's just something odd about it to me....

My opinion on OoT fluctuates constantly. On one hand, outside of the Zelda community if somebody is talking badly of OoT or talking down the Zelda, I will use OoT to describe by the Zelda series is so great. But within the community, and in my real opinion, OoT is not the best Zelda game. Not only is is not my favorite (Wind Waker holds that spot) but it has a lot of things that I feel like other Zelda games (prior to it, mentioning games after just seems unfair) did better.

Don't get me wrong, there's no Zelda game I dislike (except maybe you, FSA) but just varying degrees of fondness. I still love OoT for what it is, but it's not the best in my mind.

Honestly I think I'll just appreciate them even more with time. OoT hasn't lost it's charm for me even after all these years and I can easily go back and play TP and WW and enjoy them. The only Zelda game I am hoping time will change my opinion of is Majora's Mask. I've only played through it once and didn't really care for it. I'm hoping I'll play it again in a few years and it'll ''click'' with me and I'll love it like a lot of other people seem to.

I think my opinion of Skyward Sword will change, mostly because I'm not even done with the game yet. It usually takes a while for me to solidify my opinion on a Zelda game and where it stands on my "Favorites" list after a while. As I'm playing Skyward Sword, my opinion has fluctuated quite a bit. It's gone from "Best; even better than Ocarina of Time" to "worst, I don't really like it" to "second favorite" to a bunch of other things. This is why I usually hold off from making an opinion on the game until after I've beaten it. It's particularily hard for Skyward Sword especially, since it is so unique as a Zelda game.

It also feels like a mix of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, and The Wind Waker, making it even harder to place.

Skyward Sword. I dont have much time so I played it once and put it aside. Just because its the one I have played the least I think my opinion will change more

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

My love for this title grows with every passing day. The 3DS remake made me realize just how great the title is. In fact, I'd argue that it's pure videogame bliss. I disagree with the opening post stating that everything Ocarina of Time did, A Link to the Past did first and better. Inside, Jabu Jabu's Belly, the Forest Temple, and the Water Temple at the very least were very nonlinear dungeons and go head to head with anything ALttP had to offer. It's important to realize that by the time A Link to the Past was released, developers already had extensive experience with 2D games. ocarina of time, on the other had, was a venture into a brave new world and it managed to pave the path for generations.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

I don't believe I've had enough time to appreciate this title yet. Who knows, motion control may become the new way to play sword fighting, sports games, etc. in the future and Skyward Sword sets the biggest franchise benchark since Ocarina of Time. The dungeons finally were less linear although the overworld was plagued by the exact opposite. The main villain of the game was extremely dynamic, his master was freaking epic, and Fi was a partner who finally appealed to the more scientifically. Also, the largest emphasis was placed on sidequests since Majora's Mask and that perfect balance between mandatory story progression and optional task was once again stuck as in 1998's Ocarina of Time.

my opinions dont change very much. but if i had to have an example, it would be skyward sword. i really didnt like it when i first played through it. but as a little time has passed, i've grown to like it a little. but it's still one of my least favorite Zelda titles. but it hasn't actually been that long since it came out. so maybe i'll grow to like it more eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom