• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda game controls the best?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Controls are important in games, that can't be understated.

So, which Zelda game, simply, feels best to control for you? Where moving around Link just felt the best in the series? Did you enjoy some of Zelda's alternative control methods? (stylus, motion controls) And do you prefer 2D or 3D games when it comes to controls?

Wind Waker.

It still feels smooth no matter what console I play it on. I've never once had a problem with how it felt. I've never once had a problem with the parry or any other mechanic in the game.

Plus. The Gamecube controller was perfection and any game instantly feels 30% better with one :p

(motion and touch controls can go to hell)

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I'll say BotW. They really nailed the button mapping there, it feels so natural and intuitive to click L3 for stealth for example, or RZ for bow and arrows, and it just feels so good to paraglide, slow-mo with your arrows, snowboard .. even the cumbersome menus isn't that much of a hassle for me.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'd have to say BotW is my overall favorite control system, for the same reasons that Sheikah said. Especially the gyro controls. I usually dislike motion anything in a game, but having that feature to control my shots was useful the entire time I played. Not just in one situation like a lot of gimmicks in games, but all the time.

Although when it comes to combat, I don't think any Zelda has WW beat in terms of being so fluid and fun. Pulling off "combos" on groups of enemies is actually enjoyable instead of frustrating as it could be in other games.
Plus. The Gamecube controller was perfection and any game instantly feels 30% better with one :p
And this I completely agree with. This is the truth and no one can say otherwise because my opinion is objective fact. /s

Seriously though, the GC controller is so comfortable. My absolute favorite controller of any console.

Phantom hourglass.......

Seriously all joking aside, though I like the DS games & how Spirit Tracks' items were utilized for touch controls, it's probably BOTW for overall best control scheme.

I'll say BotW. They really nailed the button mapping there, it feels so natural and intuitive to click L3 for stealth for example, or RZ for bow and arrows, and it just feels so good to paraglide, slow-mo with your arrows, snowboard .. even the cumbersome menus isn't that much of a hassle for me.

I remember pressing the wrong button in BotW to draw Link's sword for ages until I got used to it.

What I quite like is that pressing left or right on the D pad for shields and swords corresponds to which hand Link actually hold them in.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
BotW is the obvious answer. When it's fun to just aimlessly run around, you know it's a good game. The controls were really fluid and comfortable, especially being able to swap the functions of B and X, which I did. Jump always feels best on B for me so I'm glad I could make that happen in BotW. That would've been my only complaint about the controls, but since it's fixable, no complaints at all.

MW7

I'll have to agree with everyone saying Breath of the Wild, but most Zelda games control very well even the unique ones on DS and Skyward Sword. It's kind of crazy how many 3d Zelda games have auto-jumping in retrospect, and jumping is just one basic thing among a lot of things that Breath of the Wild lets you do that lets you feel in control.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
BOTW definitely. I love gyro aiming, it makes things so much more fluid, and the fact that you could switch out weapons so easily made the multiple weapons system much better.
My least favorite would definitely be the first two. While I considered putting Wind Waker as one I didn’t like that much, I realized my issue was more with the combat itself, rather than the controls.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
If we’re talking base controls and not transformations and horses, than TP. Human Link controls perfectly (at least the GC and Wii U versions).

the keyword there is human.

as soon as you introduce the abomination that is wolf link or epona the game becomes nearly uncontrollable.

Overall I think BotW controls the best.

and yes ST also controls incredibly well.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I was about to say Wind Waker for the reasons Spirit said above. The controls are simple and easy to follow, parrying is at its easiest to use in this game and I never pressed the wrong button. And, of course the GameCube controller perfected the game.

But as much as I want to give it to Wind Waker, I think Botw just had stronger and tighter controls. I think sometimes the controls got a bit glitchy or I would struggle jumping, but that’s normally because I’m trying to game the system somehow. What brings it past WW for me is aiming the bow. I will never understand why Zelda games insisted on not having a pointer to indicate where you’re shooting. But regardless of that, the gyro aiming is smooth and easy to get precise shots without dealing with a controller that overcorrects small movements.

I'm really a fan of TW Princess. Every time I play that game, I always think of how much it feels like butter.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Definitely Breath of the Wild. I've never been a fan of using the right analog stick to pick your items. In a game with a large open 3D space intended to explore in all dimensions, it should just be accepted that the analog stick is for the camera. Don't try and pull some silly **** and tie it to attacks or items.

Oh, and Breath of the Wild added a jump button.

Auto-jump has never, ever been good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom