• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Which Timeline?

Which Timeline For Zelda U?

• Pre-Split

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failure

• Child

• Adult

• Total voters

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I was thinking about this earlier (actually, it was a few minutes ago while posting in a different thread). Obviously, we have no idea where this game is going to fit on the timeline, as we haven't even had an official announcement yet, so this thread is mostly about which of the four timelines you think the game should go.

When I think of this topic, I think about which timelines are incomplete, but also which timelines have more new games in them. I immediately eliminated the Adult Timeline because that story is pretty much complete; the only place to really put a game there is at the end. So there are definitely better options. I then thought about the Decline Timeline, because that story is kind of scattered and doesn't make all that much sense. However, since A Link Between Worlds takes place in that timeline, it may be a good idea to fill in some of the other blank spots in the timeline. That leaves the Child Timeline and the Prequel Timeline, both of which have incomplete stories. What happened between Twilight Princess and Four Swords Adventures? What happened between Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap? I personally believe that it would be best to complete one of these stories. So then what does it come down to? Well, seeing as TMC at least has enough backstory to really understand it, I think that the next Zelda game should take place post TP, and should explain more about what happened between that game and FSA. I honestly feel like FSA was just lazily thrown in there because they couldn't find another place for it (much like the entire decline timeline), so it would be nice to know more about it.

But what about you guys? Where do you think Zelda Wii U should go on the timeline? Should it fill in the blank spots that only have a bit of text completing the story, should it take place after the events of a particular timeline, or should it be a whole new story altogether?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think a while back, I made a thread similar to this; however, my view then has probably changed.

I believe back then I wanted a game on the Defeated Timeline, more specially after Zelda II. My idea was for this hypothetical game to conclude the Timeline, which had been untouched for such a long time (keep in mind this was prior to A Link Between Worlds). For me it only made sense to close off that branch and focus on the others as this Timeline was more of hypothetical what if, also, at the time I viewed it as less significant.. inferior to the others one might say.

Now my view has changed, I no longer view the Defeated Timeline in an inferior light, I actually view it as the most interesting, lore wise, in the entire series. However, now that A Link Between Worlds has been released it kind of makes that Timeline seem more complete than the others, this greatly limits what can happen on this Timeline and actual emphasis on the others. So where else? I would eventually love to see another prequel and a game that links the Four Swords games to the ever popular Ocarina of Time; however, I believe that's not where Nintendo should go next.

So that leaves the two original splits that everyone was aware of: The Child Timeline and the Adult Timeline. First off I see potential in the AT, it's basically a clean slate an endless around of possibilities of what Nintendo can do with said game; however, that's also it's downfall. Deviating away from the lore and what makes a Zelda game may make that game seem too foreign and it may lose some of its charm. I felt this somewhat happened with the DS games. Yet again, the opportunity that those games had to establish a truly great foundation wasn't realised and what we got was two very mediocre and half hearted stories.

So, by process of elimination that leaves me with The Child Timeline and I truly believe this is where the series should go next. So this game would have to take place after Majora's Mask, well why not another sequel? Could we see Link's journey after Termina? I mean if you look at Twilight Princess the landscape has vastly changed, in reality it's a completely new Hyrule. So you have room for a game here, maybe a few if Nintendo wishes. Then I think you can move on to a direct sequel. Well I'm being biased here but I love the story that was told inTwilight Princess and I feel it has so much more to explore. Then finally we have a title at the end of the current lineage (after Four Swords Adventures). Here we could have an all new Hyrule with an all new threat, room for experimentation but keeping the integrity of the series.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1) Defeat Timeline that explores Lorule either in the past or the present. If Skyward Sword was some crazed happy-go-lucky world where all the inhabitants were oblivious to outside events, then the Lorule counterpart must've been what SS should have been. Let's see that happen.

2) Child Timeline, after TP.

Not sure how it would work but I'd love to see it take place in two or even all three timelines. Crossing back and forth, one world flooded, one world in steep decline. So many possibilities.

Salem

SICK
They should make up another split in the timeline and just roll with it...

Actually I dunno, maybe continue after FSA.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I'd like it to be apart of the Child Timeline. Since the release of Twilight Princess, we really haven't seen anything to do with this timeline. I feel it's gotten a little neglected by now and deserves to be built on some more, preferably between FSA and TP. That being said, I'd really rather not have them carry on the 'dark interlopers' story arch from TP, because the whole 'Dark World' thing has now already been done three times and would probably feel quite stale if they used it again. However, I like the 'European-Medieval' feel of TP's Hyrule better than the rather 'Steampunk' style the child timeline holds. I really want to see this version of Hyrule again (But with a little bit more colour, please?)

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Well, my hopes are a bit drastic when you look at the evidence, but I really want the game to be based, at least graphically, on the Wii U Tech demo. If this is the case, I want it to be after Twilight Princess. I feel that if it was a sequel to Majora's Mask, it wouldn't be as unique. I want an entirely new saga, yet with a dark setting.

It will be the adult timeline IMO. In the last 2 years the downfall, adult and pre split components have all had games released (even if one is just a remake) while the newest thing in the adult is TP from 2006

Last edited:
All three. :)

Also, why is no-one interested in the adult timeline? A game set after Spirit Tracks would be cool. A brand new Hyrule. At least as long they are using a mature graphic style. I'm done with the artsy stuff.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
What I want, and what I reasonably expect are two very different things.

What I want is a brooding, dark, epically gigantic game in the fully realized world of Adventure of Link. But since I'm probably the only person on earth that wishes for such a thing, I'll settle for something that takes place some time after TP.

OcarinaofWind12

So zetta slow!
What I want, and what I reasonably expect are two very different things.

What I want is a brooding, dark, epically gigantic game in the fully realized world of Adventure of Link.

I think doing what they did with ALBW to AoL would be pretty cool actually. Not sure I would want that for the Wii U game though.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Probably the Child timeline. It is woefully undeveloped due to the sheer lack of games on that branch. Now that we have ALBW, my FT taste is quenched, and I have a horrid suspicion they'll be keeping the strangely-proportioned people of TWW for the AT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom