• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which style of Zelda game do you prefer? 2D or 3D?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Having played several Zelda games at this point, I can comfortably say that I prefer the 3D Zelda titles to the 2D Zelda titles. For me, the 3D worlds are far more interesting to explore than a top-down 2D environment is, and they also tend to have deeper stories and characters than the 2D games do. Locations like the Great Sea in WW and BotW's massive Hyrule will always keep me engaged more than the overworlds that are found in ALttP, LA, or MC (which I'm playing through right now).

So, what do you prefer, 2D or 3D Zelda, and why?

MW7

I think 3d games are better as they have a higher ceiling of potential. There are very few things a 2d game can do that a 3d game can't, and the extra dimension opens up lots of possibilities for gameplay. That said, a 2d game can be designed so well that it is better than a 3d game. I tend to prefer 3d games on average though.

I grew up with the series so I had the 2D games for a while before the series went 3D.

As much as I loved the 2D games though, 3D brought Zelda home and gave it limitless potential, potential we're still seeing tapped today.

I don't like the 2D installments any less but it feels like Zelda's true home is in the 3D space, that's why new 3D releases are such industry events.

I'll always have affection for the 2D games since the NES original was huge for me, and certainly wouldn't mind seeing new ones since I think the intricacy of those worlds has a lot of charm... but the 3D games just have so much more going on that I have to admit it's an upgrade in general.

Goroganos

My top 3: TP, MM, SS
3D. I love 2D Zelda games a lot too, but they tend to have a lot less possibilities, either in gameplay or environment/obstacles. There is also the immersion aspect of the 3D, and having a 3rd dimension really helps with the impression that a vast world awaits, rather than seeing a cramped space that changes every time you exit it.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
2D can be done well, but it's easily 3D for me. My favorite Zelda games tend to be the 3D ones, and it helps to lead to a lot more worldbuilding and exploring, with something like Breath of the Wild being a prime example of this, where there's no way it could be translated into 2D at all and maintain its impressive world.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The 2D games have their place, but I refer the 3D stuff (at least the 3D stuff at its peak). The 3D world of Breath of the Wild is much more conducive to exploration and discovery and wonder than the 2D style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom