• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Style is Harder, 2D or 3D?

Which style is harder, 2D or 3D?

• 2D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3D

• Same

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The 2D games have the highest difficulty and they are generally the more fun games in the series. Prime example of trouble is Adventure of Link, and good ones after that are...well, LoZ, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Link's Awakening, and well yeah. I find Minish Cap to be on the "medium" difficulty range whereas the aforementioned games are more "hard" to "extremely" hard.

2d every time, they're just completely different animals to their 3d counterparts. There's no way i can describe it, they just are, though a big part of the 2d difficulty for me is the square scrolling when link nears the edge of the screen and the 'square' changes, it can disorient me and make me quickly lose track..

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
While the first few 2D games can be labeled with high difficulty, that was mainly due to hardware restraints and cheaply-designed fights. Fast-forward to ST and you've got the ideal design for 2D enemies in Zelda, as they don't just run up to you and spam attacks. Same sort of thing with the 3D titles, only OoT and MM don't have stupidly-designed enemies. WW and TP have that honor.

Why do I say all this? To say that neither style is harder. Just because the first few games were more difficult doesn't automatically mean that the 2D style is harder. It's not. Ever 2D title from the OoX on proves this. The majority of the difficulty from the first few games comes from cheap and bad design rather than legit difficulty. Not to say the old games have bad enemies -- they don't (especially LoZ and LA). The first three games are just extremely guilty of improper design in enemies and/or controls, causing the games to be more difficult than they should have been.

Last edited:
The 2-D Zelda games are harder because the enemies are tougher and in some cases you don't know what you are suppose to do next. The 3-D Zelda games tend to focus on puzzles more than the 2-D ones, but 2-D is more challenging.

Fig

The Altruist
I personally see the 2D Zelda games harder. For some reason, the gameplay is more challenging to control/master than it is to the 3D Zelda games. Nonetheless, the 2D Zelda games are a blast to play, especially Spirit Tracks!

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I have personally always have had trouble dealing with 2-D Bosses. It's always about finding their weakspot, I seem to have trouble with it. However, 3-D Bosses are much easier to defeat, as their weakspots are always shown and shown with a high degree of attention.

Puzzle-wise, I think it is about the same difficulty. The 2-D ones use that element to have bird-view puzzle that can be challenging and easy at the same time. The 3-D games really utilize the 3-D to their advantage, forcing the player to look up, down, left and right. Here it's pretty equal.

Overall, I voted for the 2-D games. The 2-D games do a great job of throwing you into an environment and forcing you to understand it, without help. 3-D games are not as good at this, usually having a helper there to 'help' you. This is a factor in why 2-D games are harder than 3-D games.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Ohhh, Farore. I am drop-dead HORRIBLE at the 2D Zeldas. (I don't count PH and ST as 2D though, more like... 2.5D or something.)

It's because I'm so bad at avoiding things. I always get hit. In the 3D Zeldas, you can backflip and dodge things... That's not how it is for the 2D ones. You can only run away, and running away usually makes me hit even MORE things. D:

I died 50 times in A Link to the Past on my first playthrough... How I managed to finish that game was beyond me. I was so bad. So, so bad... T_T

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
Definitely 2D!! I recently started playing the older ones, and I started with the first. I now completely understand why people say video games are getting easier -___-. Level 6 is INSANELY difficult for me, them darn wizzrobes are ANNOYING! After completing that game, I played Twilight Princess, and I kid you not, I have not died, or been close to dying, its a breeze. Every single one of the newer games is a breeze. I do wish they could pump up the difficulty for the 3D games.

MW7

In theory neither style should be harder, and I'd guess 3d should actually be harder because the game designers have another dimension to work with for puzzles. However, in practice it's very clear that of the Zelda games we have the 2d games on average are harder than the 3d ones even considering the more recent 2d games which aren't very difficult. Personally I wish the 3d games would have level of difficulty that the old 2d games had. I think it's pretty clear that the reason 2d games seem harder than the 3d games is because the series as a whole has gotten much easier. Otherwise we wouldn't have the easy 2d games which were more recent. 3d games would seem hard too if you had to fight boss battles like Mothula or navigate dungeons like the Ice Palace.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Personally I believe that the 2D Zelda's are harder.....not because of dungeons....but because of enemies and damage. With the 3D Zelda's we are (for the most part) only fighting one or two enemies at a time. And even when you are fighting multiple ones, most of the time they will alternate in attacking you instead of using their numbers to overwhelm you. 2D Zelda enemies move sporadically (especially A Link to the Past) and are much more likely to damage you. They also deal a **** ton more damage than 3D Zelda enemies.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
The only possible way for me to actually beat a 2D Zelda game is with a crap load of cheats and quick-saves on an emulator... other than that Im screwed
no amount of fairies can save me... :fairy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom