• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Remake had the worst "glow up"?

Sister post to the other one.

This is about remakes/remasters that just didn't quite work or detracted from the originals.

Any come to mind?

Here are some that I've played/heard of.

• Wind Waker HD - Sort of. The remake plays better and has more QoL but it looks way worse.
  • Secret of Mana - Plays terrible, looks terrible. The original is better in every way.
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy - The NES versions look just as good as the SNES remakes. However the remakes play worse and the music on the SNES version is just terrible.
  • Rachet and Clank - I've not played either but I've read so many people saying the remake totally gutted the characters and ruined things.
  • Yoshi's New Island - Looks terrible and plays terrible.
  • Turtles in Time Re-Shelled - The SNES original is better in every way.

Last edited:
Super Mario 64 DS.

The shift to using a stylus or d-pad to move in 8 directions from the full analog movement of the original game made platforming much more difficult than it needed to be. It's why I consider the original N64 version the definitive version of the game.

I second this. The DS felt primitive to me when it was new and Mario 64 DS did nothing to help me feel any different. The D-pad wasn't fun to use at all, everything looked jaggy as hell and I really didn't care for the extra content.

Just wasn't fun.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I second this. The DS felt primitive to me when it was new and Mario 64 DS did nothing to help me feel any different. The D-pad wasn't fun to use at all, everything looked jaggy as hell and I really didn't care for the extra content.

Just wasn't fun.
Even though the graphics were better overall, the dulling of the colors made it lose some of the charm that the original had. Some things just shouldn't be changed.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Majora's Mask 3D. How ya gonna make the game look great, be super easy to play on a handheld, add some QoL features, and ruin it with moveset changes, re-hauling bosses in unneeded and clunky ways, odd lighting/color differences, and physics changes? It's the worst kind of remake because the good it brings is great, but the bad outweighs it and makes it so the original is the way to play it, and that really stings because Ocarina of Time 3D is so great.

I could get behind Super Mario 64 DS being rough. I'd love for them to take the content of DS and remake it so that it played more like the original, but we'll see. I doubt it will ever happen, which is a shame because I liked playing around the added levels and with different characters.

MW7

Like others have said, two that stick out to me are Super Mario 64 DS and Majora's Mask 3d. Super Mario 64 DS had controls that made me want to play the N64 version. Added content was nice to have though. Majora's Mask 3d had some weird design decisions that detracted from the good fixes (like the song of double time). It's weird how Ocarina of Time 3d seemed to take a "do no harm" approach mostly whereas the game designers went to town tinkering with everything in Majora's Mask 3d. If I had to pick a single worst "fix", I'd say Zora swimming.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I actually think that super Mario 64 DS is better than the original, sure the controls aren’t as good, but they’re still functional. Plus the sheer amount of content added more than makes up for any downsides.

MM3D on the other hand, yeah. This game sucks. How did they possibly screw it up this badly. The amount of good things that they did in this remake can easily by counted on a single hand. It looks awful (which is odd cause I actually like the way OoT3D looks), there are tons of unnecessary changes like the bank location and deku spin physics, the game is somehow even buggier than the original, the list goes on and on. It’s so bad that if someone who already had a 3DS had to choose between the remake and buying an original N64, the extra $20 peripheral, and the original game cart, I would recommend they put the effort into the later. It’s a shame because I believe that the original is one of if not the greatest game of all time, but it’s remake was so botched that it honestly makes me angry.

Let’s go Pikachu and Eevee weren’t the worst games ever, they were fun enough and far superior to SWSH at the very least (not like that’s a high bar), but something about them seemed off to me. I still think that FrLg is the only gen 1 experience that’s really worthwhile.

four swords anniversary edition would be good seeing as how it made the game actually playable, but Nintendo refuses to release it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom