• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which remake had the biggest "glow up"?

Been recently taking a look at Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX for the Switch & as much as I love the classic 2D look, the remake looks phenomenal!
(don't get me started on the amazing soundtrack)
Pokemon mystery dungeon comparison.jpg

It got me thinking. What other remakes of games do you think were well & truly polished in all aspects?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The Spyro remake comes to mind for me.

We went from this:
gtCQnxw.png

To this:
OBpJL3F.jpg

God, it's so beautiful, especially when you see it in motion

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Even if I prefer AM2R as the better remake of Metroid 2, Samus Returns did a really good job of taking the bland, basic spritework of the original game and making it into something far more detailed and graphically impressive.
metroid-comparison-1-1.jpg

@GoronGainz

I think you mean which remaster improved things over the original game the most in my opinion.
This will probably not be a long list as in many cases I feel the original versions are better.

Here's a few in my opinion.

1. Super Mario All Stars

I'll say the Final Fantasy 7 Remake, going from the original game to that is a sight to behold, even if it's just Midgar that was remade
I would argue the "remake" is quite different to the original in many ways. Still it looks and plays way better than the original so it counts and it makes my list.

3. Punchout

MW7

I'm a huge fan of Wind Waker HD. The original version is one of my all time favorite games yet I can't even imagine playing it again. There were so many great improvements with the swift sail and triforce quest. They could have done a few more things, but it's hard to complain given all that they did.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition has one of the biggest visual improvements in which, given the Wii's limits, the original landscapes already looked pretty phenomenal. The largest upgrade here are the character models and the facial details especially stand out; they are more expressive match dialogue well for the most part (although more work could have gone into NPCs... Whatever). On top of aesthetic changes, there are a huge number of QoLs to quicken the game's pace and a revamped menu that finally keeps everything under a single roof.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Sid Meier’s Pirates! Is a game that I feel is under appreciated due to it being in the shadow of his biggest series, civilization, despite being older. The original game was on the Commodore 64, though I have the NES port. It’s remake was made for the Wii, Xbox, and PC, and is possibly one of my favorite non-Nintendo games of all time. Nowadays the visuals aren’t anything special but seeing how huge of a leap it made it’s hard to believe it’s the same game.

TPHD actually made the game playable, now instead of giving me a migraine when I play it for more than an hour it only gives me a migraine when I play it for more than two hours.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
For me, it's definitely Resident Evil 2. The original Resident Evil 2 was an ugly thing with a fixed camera angle and some really fuzzy graphics (depending on your platform, with Gamecube being the cleanest and N64 being the blurriest:

1592988454963.png

The remake, meanwhile, looks like this:

SS_13_GL_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.png

It's a huge improvement. As cool as the original is, I just don't think it holds a torch to the remake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom