• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Which race did you enjoy spending time with the most?

My rankings from best to worst (in this game specifically)

1. Zora
2. Gerudo
3. Travelers/Hylians
4. Koroks
5. Gorons
6. Monsters
7. Rito (kinda dull but fun designs)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Now that I've played the game properly, I can answer this better.

Gerudo - they have the liveliest town in the game, and really engage their general area well in terms of quests, even their main game quest portion is the more engaging in the game.

Hylians - they have the unfair advantage, since they are the most spread out in the game with three different villages, every stable, and they also are the race that traverse the land the most. It's easier to connect with them because they have more characters to get fond of, simple as that.

Rito - true, their town isn't so large, but I enjoy going there a lot. I love the verticality and the airspace they take up, love the cozy atmosphere.

Koroks - they are adorable and their forest is really nice, I like the atmosphere a lot, and Hestu is just fun overall.

Goron - they aren't the most engaging race for me (a bit one-dimensional), their town is nice, not overly much to do, however, the way they are spread out to the hot springs, the mines, it makes their area come alive more.

Zora - Zoras domain is always the most beautiful area in the game, and this is no exception. The gear they give you is the most enjoyable in the game, but as grandiose as the town is, it consists of a lot of empty space. You walk long corridors that lead to nothing, or they loop around and bring you right back where you left. I find that I try to go there early to get the gear and to mine, and then leave off their portion of the main quest for later. They have been my favourite race in Zelda for the longest time, and they are enjoyable, but the emptiness of the town just means I spend less time with them overall, especially since I more often traverse the cliffs rather than spend time with them as a race.

Pen

The game is on!
Hylians - they have the unfair advantage, since they are the most spread out in the game with three different villages, every stable, and they also are the race that traverse the land the most. It's easier to connect with them because they have more characters to get fond of, simple as that.

I agree with this. The Hylians definitely have a strong advantage like that. I don't think there are three Hylian villages in the game though. I'm pretty sure it's only Hateno and Lurelin. I assume you count Kakariko as well? Now I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure all the residents of Kakariko in BotW are Sheikah.

As for me, I definitely enjoyed spending time with the Sheikah the most. I kept returning to Kakariko Village frequently throughout the game and I still haven't grown tired of walking around the village interacting with the people in it. :)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I agree with this. The Hylians definitely have a strong advantage like that. I don't think there are three Hylian villages in the game though. I'm pretty sure it's only Hateno and Lurelin. I assume you count Kakariko as well? Now I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure all the residents of Kakariko in BotW are Sheikah.

As for me, I definitely enjoyed spending time with the Sheikah the most. I kept returning to Kakariko Village frequently throughout the game and I still haven't grown tired of walking around the village interacting with the people in it. :)

Yes, but wouldn't you say the Sheikas are a tribe of Hylians, and not necessarily their own race?

Pen

The game is on!
Yes, but wouldn't you say the Sheikas are a tribe of Hylians, and not necessarily their own race?

I've always viewed them as their own race. If the Sheikah aren't their own race then I wouldn't consider the Gerudo a race of their own either for example. But to each their own I suppose. As far as I know there isn't any actual evidence to support either view.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've always viewed them as their own race. If the Sheikah aren't their own race then I wouldn't consider the Gerudo a race of their own either for example. But to each their own I suppose. As far as I know there isn't any actual evidence to support either view.

The Gerudo in this game is very distinct, all immensely tall, but I see your point

I just go by their ears. Pointy ears = Hylian. I remember some lore that says they have long ears "to hear the voice of the godess."

I can't say I did or did not enjoy any of the different races/villages/cultures more than the others. They are all so different, and have their own styles. It was fun to get to "know" each of them in this game, because it felt like this game allowed more interaction with each of them.

That said, if I were forced to make a list, I'd say that the Gorons are my least favorite in this game. In fact, I've never been exceptionally fond of them. I don't hate them ... I just am not drawn to them. I found their "town" to have a very small, confusing feel to it. Maybe it was/is just the atmosphere of the volcano, and how everything looks identical to me. Remembering the layout was difficult for me, and I was always running around ducking into almost every shop/house/etc. to find what I was looking for.

On the other hand, I did have an absolute blast exploring all around their territory and the volcano. Getting to some of the places in that area took some thought and ingenuity ... and all the ore to mine was very fun and prosperous.

I think, however, the most fun area for me to explore was the mid-west up through the north-west. All the mountains, snow, hills/valleys, etc. The fact that it really took effort to make sure you found pretty much everywhere you could go ... the way so many shrines were "hidden" and you really had to work to find the way in to them. All of that was fun.

Majoras-Light

Gatekeeper
Definitely the Zora. Their domain was absolutely beautiful and the characters of Sidon and Mipha were very well developed.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I don't go to towns unless I need supplies or have something story relevant there (Like a sidequest made me go there, or I thought a Korok would be there). I like meeting wandering travelers, though. That's fun, but that's not a race...

I'd say the Gerudo for me

Ryuken

Ace Adventurer/Truth Seeker
I'd say the Zoras and Rito. The Zoras, being the first main quest region for me, really got me hooked. The fact that most of them remember you from 100 years ago was really neat, and getting full Zora armor set together was really satisfying.
The Rito have one of the most memorable shrine quests, and they look FAR better than the Rito from WW in my opinion. They also have Revali's Theme, which is my favorite out of all the Champions.

ray138

a Mid-West Monster of the Highest Grade
Rito for me!
I love the woodwork and painting in their village. Best music in the game. Best character design update.
I wear the Snowquill headdress always, unless I have to use something else.
I just wish there were one or two more of the spiraling town-pillars with more shops, NPCs and sidequests. Connect 'em with bridges for a bigger town.

I liked the Rito race the most because Rito Village was a very peaceful place to hang out. I loved the Zora part as well.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Probably the Gerudo, though the Zora are a close second. The older Zora were rather cruel to Link at first, but Sidon pretty much makes up for all of them by being awesome. As for the Gerudo, I just really enjoyed how they were given a fleshed-out culture - very different than simply "just a tribe of thieves" as in Ocarina of Time. In Breath of the Wild, they're more of a proud merchant culture and while I don't think their sheltered "No Men Allowed!" city makes much sense, I found it interesting that they have some actual cultural conventions. They were even shown using their own language (or at least parts of it, greetings that travelers found difficult to pronounce).

And, yes, I enjoy dressing Link up in the belly-dancer clothing and making him look like a pretty girl. He pulls it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom