• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Which race did you enjoy spending time with the most?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
During our time with BoTW we get to hang around with a few different races including Sheikah, Zoras, Koroks, Gorons and Gerudo.

I found that my experiences were varied and I have some definite favourites.

I thought the Zora's were handled really well and this was the first game to portray them in a way that does them justice. I wasn't a Zora person before but now I have played BoTW they have found themselves a new fan.

My best time however was that spent with the Gerudo. They were really fleshed out this time. Much more than we have ever seen. They are the most intriguing race to me, even more than the Sheikah and I had fun learning about their culture. I also very much enjoyed the introduction of greetings and other words in their own language.

I found Gorons were given a rough deal this time and their portrayal in TP was much better, this seemed like a total downgrade for them and I was not sad to leave them behind when it was time to go.

Anyway which race did you enjoy spending time with the most in BoTW?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I enjoyed the Zoras and Gerudo as well, for similar reasons. What really got me about the Zoras was that most of them were alive at the same time as Link 100 years ago, and most of them knew him. Zora's Domain being my first Divine Beast quest, it really caught me off guard, in a very pleasing way. I started wondering if they were the exception and not the rule (which they were). I also really liked the Rito, but mostly because of Kass and because I like hanging out in their village. I had no issues with the Gorons, them being miners on a mountain full of ore is logical.

Zoras top it for me. I love them, theyre my favourite race in Zelda followed by the Rito. I was really happy to see them handled so well. Theyre a bit more lighthearted than they were in TP but still retain that elegant nobility that i love them for. I wasn't sure on Sidon at first with his constant posing but he is awesome when you get to know him.

It was nice seeing different breeds too and different ages. Their Domain was absolutely beautiful too, i loved their Domain in TP but BotW blew it far, far away.

A special mention to the Gerudo for second place. I like that they seemed to have rather separate culture from the rest of Hyrule with their own language. I also liked the cultural impact that Ganon has had on their race having been a Gerudo in past incarnations. That was really interesting to me and i wanted to know much more.

Rito were cool too but i dont feel as if they did as much as i'd have liked.

The Gorons however.... raw deal, werent fun, werent interesting, just werent enjoyable at all. Yunobo was terrible and the elder with a bad back was lame. I also really didnt like the whole miner construction builder thing they had going on.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I spent most of my times with the Bokoblins. Putting on the mask and act like one and toss apples so they can eat and then a bomb :P

Nah seriously, I love the Rito and the Zoras the most. I like spending time in Zora's Palace and run around and talk with everybody. But I also enjoy hanging around the Rito. I love when there are villages with a lot of exploring to do.

I like the Rito and the Lizalfos best. Yunobo is an idiot, but he probably has brain damage from being fired at Rudania.

I'd say Sheikah... there just seemed to be more character to them... even those in more mundane roles seemed to have more individuality to them, which made their quests far more entertaining for me.

So far the Rito or whatever the Falco race is as well as the Hylians. I've spend ages with them both and really enjoyed it.

I've been to the Gerudo town a little and it was really nice but I didn't love it. I have not even been to the Zora or Goron town.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Always been a Zora fan, so very pleased with them. The Gerudo were awesome as well. Not spent a lot of time with the Rito or Gorons yet, though.

I won't say I enjoyed them the best, but in this game I actually really liked the Gorons. I tend to dislike whatever part of the game they occupy in other titles, finding it tedious. I especially hated dealing with them in Twilight Princess. But these ones felt like they held a much more logical set of customs and racial relations. It always irks me that they get portrayed as hyperbolic isolationists, it doesn't feel like something that is "just their culture", it comes off as gamey and irritating. Here they felt much more realized and authentic. I don't get all the hate for Yunobo either, besides his sorta hammy intro scene I actually liked him a lot. He's cute and endearing and they put a lot of character into his voice bits and animations, like the way he sneaks around or rigidly stands-to when you whistle. They can't all be rock-punching hardasses, it was nice to see a personality type that stuck out. It's not like he's a total coward either, I mean he's willing to go up the mountain with little convincing, and he readily allows himself to be launched like a cannon ball at what is literally one of the most powerful things to walk the continent.

I enjoyed how the Gerudo behave in this game as well. It's very interesting to see their culture when it's not being forced into servitude by Ganondorf. They're actually very open people, far from the hostile and combative thieves that we came to know them as. They travel the world, they seek companionship outside of their race and culture, they openly trade with people, they invite foreigners into their city, they speak with affection and excitement for the world beyond their boarders, and you run into them as they explore other places. It was the Gerudo woman I met in the fishing village that convinced me to travel to Eventide Island. I think my favorite Gerudo is the old woman you find by the goddess statue in Gerudo City.

Gonna lay it out, those five Rito Sisters were super cute. I loved dealing with them, especially the one trying to catch fish. Rito Village was really peaceful and I like the way it's all basically a single spiraling structure reminiscent of an aviary. But I honestly didn't spend a whole lot of time there, partly because it's located close to my least favorite area in the game.

Zora's Domain was really beautiful and fun to explore, and I liked talking with the Zoras. They have an interesting perspective on some things, and I liked that a lot of them are very old compared to many of the other sentient races in Hyrule. But when I think back really hard, I'm sorta hard pressed to remember any defining moments or anything that really cements them for me as favored above the other races.

I guess when it gets down to it, as much as I enjoyed each race and their respective locations, I found the quiet and contemplating beauty of Hyrule to be the most enjoyable. What can I say, the wanderlust, it beckons.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
The Rito are my favorite race by far. Their village is fun to explore, and I love talking with all of the people. I never thought they could improve the Dragon Roost Island theme from Wind Waker, but they did, and it fits in perfectly with the surrounding environment.

Rito and Zora, I think it's mostly their designs of being able to go where normal people are unable, but also they seem to be more fleshed out than the other races to me. I mean Gorons and Gerudo are both good, as are the Sheikah and Hylians. There's just an allure to the rito and Zora champions, and their sub champs

I really like the Gerudo, I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Sheikah I really like the feudal japanese theme.

Aku

I liked them all. I think I found the Zora village to be the most beautiful (plus all of that water looks VERY fun to play in) while with the Gerudo I found their lore the most intriguing.

For the Rito, their village is the most relaxing, while with the Gorons they couldhave used a little more 'substance.' I loved exploring the Goron territory, but it seemed like most of the interesting action and people were mainly in the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom