• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Platform Provided The Best Experiences For You This Year?

As gamers, we're always busy championing what our favorite game of the year was, but I'm also curious what system you thought brought the most satisying array of experiences to the table this year. So you can think of this as a "System of the Year" thread.

Have your say below and explain why you thought that platform was the best to game on this year.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Definitely 3DS.

I don't think this is a fair thread. We had two new systems released only a month ago, and they really haven't had the chance to get off their feet yet. Somewhat the same with the WiiU- Nintendo usually takes a few years to really crank out some good titles for their consoles, it hasn't really had a chance to shine yet.

Imogen said:
I don't think this is a fair thread. We had two new systems released only a month ago, and they really haven't had the chance to get off their feet yet. Somewhat the same with the WiiU- Nintendo usually takes a few years to really crank out some good titles for their consoles, it hasn't really had a chance to shine yet.

It's true that some of the newer systems lack the software to shine, but that makes it all the more interesting for when people share their thoughts on the topic next year when most of the platforms will have tread more ground.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
3DS. I was more excited to buy that than any of the other consoles. Even the home consoles don't look that great to me. Maybe the others would have a chance if they had a better library, or had the chance to make a better library though.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
PC by a landslide. We've had some phenomenal games come out this year, a lot of really creative and original titles, and the combined efforts of Steam, GOG.com, GMG and the Humble Bundle guys continues to provide unparalleled variety and value no other platform can match.

It's been a great year for gaming! :D

Last edited:

octorok74

TETTAC
360 for sure. I had no problems with it for a whole year and my experience was upped dramatically after I made several new friends, all of whom were British. XBL is being taken over by Brits and quite honestly, I love it. It has gotten very classy now.

In a close second in Xbox One though despite it not being out for very long. Everything on that has worked smoothly and made playing my games that much more fun.

And in a respectable third is the Wii U, which I got for Christmas, but it is immensely enjoyable and got my brothers and I yelling at each other right away for mistakes just like my N64. And that is the greatest present of all.

Fourth is N64 by the way. Yeah.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
PC by a landslide. We've had some phenomenal games come out this year, a lot of really creative and original titles, and the combined efforts of Steam, GOG.com, GMG and the Humble Bundle guys continues to provide unparalleled variety and value no other platform can match.

It's been a great year for gaming! :D

How dare you bring PC into this... :-P

As for me, 3ds. It's all I've got right now...

The Wii U has started to perk my interest with Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World, but the 3DS has provided me with the best entertainment this year. 2013 came with a good range of incredible games: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros, Pokémon X & Y and Zelda A Link Between Worlds. I really enjoyed playing these games and I look Forward to upcoming games in 2014.

I'm going to have to say the 3DS, without a doubt. The year started nicely with Fire Emblem, which peaked my interests for over 100 hours. Then came along Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which occupied me for around 200 hours, I also bought Super Mario 3D Land, which is really good; Pokemon Y has 205 hours and counting, especially with the newly available Pokemon thanks to the Japanese release of Pokebank. But most recently for me would be Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, which, in my opinion, is the best Zelda game to come out since Wind Waker 10 or so years ago.

The 3DS has had a great year, and it made my year great as well.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Xbox 360 and PC
My laptop started dying in the summer (and completely died a few months ago) and I stopped caring for most console titles around summer time too, but I still had loads of fun. Playing Halo 4 with the homies, and comparing empires in Rome: Total War (as we awaited the release of the sequel) with my roommates. Gee-tees

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I haven't played that many games this year so it would be unfair and biased to state my favourite console; however, I can give a good opinion on what I think has been the best console: the 3DS.

I don't think it's even a competition. This system just went out the gates flying in 2013. Just look at all those exclusive titles. I think Microsoft and Sony were quite jealous that a handheld by their rival company, Nintendo, was doing much better than their prime console.

Beeker

Wild Card
The 3DS was fantastic this year. It consistently kept me picking it up to play time and time again. First was Fire Emblem Awakening, which kept me through late winter and spring. Animal Crossing New Leaf became a daily routine for several months. By late August, I was at the point where I was juggling 3DS games. Usually I'll play a game and finish, then pick the game I had played before back up, but I would be switching carts between ACNL, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, and soon enough the big one, Pokemon Y. And now Link Between Worlds to end off the year! Wowee!

I hope the WiiU begins to pick up the steam 3DS has in the upcoming year. It's getting there, but not there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom