• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which operating system?

What Operating System do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • Mac

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Linux

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don't use a desktop operating system

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

I'm on 8.1 on my main desktop. I use the classic shell start bar, makes 8.1 feel very close to 7, I rarely see any of the metro interface using it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Have you tried doing the free upgrade to Windows 10? There's still a couple of months for people to take advantage of it. Personally, I tolerated 8.1 at best. Vanilla Windows 8 can go straight to hell, while I really like 10 and 7. 10 is basically a mix of the best of 7 and the best of 8.1 without the stupid Charms bar tile screen.

Once I've gotten used to an OS I'm not keen on changing it to something I don't know whether I'd like or not. Windows doesn't have the best track record with changing the OS, XP was good, Vista was horrible, 7 was such a major improvement, 8/8.1 was a step backwards. Statistically 10 should be a good one, but I'm not looking to risk it until I eventually have to get a new computer. Right now I've figured out how to make 8.1 work for me, so it's doable now (especially after disabling all that metro junk it tried to force me to use)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I use Botnet 10 aka Windows 10, it's a good OS and I say that because telemetry can't give out any sensitive information for me since the only things I do involve browsing ZD, playing Dark Souls, downloading emulators, and browsing 4chan.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Technically I don't use a desktop, I use a laptop. I run Windows 10 on it (I upgraded from 8.1 a few months ago and I've been loving it thus far), but my program requires that I purchase and use a Macbook Pro starting next year, so my PC days will be over. I prefer PCs overall, but I see why Macs are so highly praised and I actually like their interface probably a bit more than PCs. What Microsoft has over Apple is their customer service; while both are bad, I'll always be a Microsoft guy at heart because their customer service is much better, at least from my experience. So even if Macs are better than PCs, I'll still be a PC guy for that reason.

Technically I don't use a desktop, I use a laptop. I run Windows 10 on it (I upgraded from 8.1 a few months ago and I've been loving it thus far), but my program requires that I purchase and use a Macbook Pro starting next year, so my PC days will be over. I prefer PCs overall, but I see why Macs are so highly praised and I actually like their interface probably a bit more than PCs. What Microsoft has over Apple is their customer service; while both are bad, I'll always be a Microsoft guy at heart because their customer service is much better, at least from my experience. So even if Macs are better than PCs, I'll still be a PC guy for that reason.

The main perk I noticed with OS X is the ease of installing apps compared to Windows - you just go into your Applications folder and drag and drop the .dmg file in there. Poof! It's installed! And if you want to uninstall it, just drag the program to the Trash. Bam! It's like it was never there (for the most part; you still might have leftovers of the program if you look around your Library folder, if I'm not mistaken). The thing I mostly dislike about Macs is the price- although you might think you're getting OS X for free, you're not. You pay for the OS when you purchase the device. It's the same thing with an iOS device.

At the end of the day, OS X still has a UNIX backbone, and some of the commands you can do in Linux can be done on OS X for that reason, such as using sudo in the Terminal.

Windows, despite some advantages of Linux and OSX, Windows has by far the most advantages, and by far the most support as well.

Last edited:
The main perk I noticed with OS X is the ease of installing apps compared to Windows - you just go into your Applications folder and drag and drop the .dmg file in there. Poof! It's installed! And if you want to uninstThe thing I mostly dislike about Macs is the price- although you might think you're getting OS X for free, you're not. You pay for the OS when you purchase the device. It's the same thing with an iOS device.
What you say is true but you need to take the cost as a cost over the lifetime of the product. The lifespan on the product and how much or little paid support you need for it also factors in. As well as free software. Apple gives the OS, iLife and iWork away for free now with new Macs and iOS devices. It's not as simple as saying, A Mac has a higher pricetag, therefore it's more expensive. You would have to work out the total lifetime of the product cost (including needed apps) for you to see which is cheaper for you.

I think what made me like Windows even more is that MS gave away Windows 10 for free. I had only spent $10 on Windows 8.1, what an investment! That and I even upgraded my pirated Windows 7 to a legit copy of Windows 10 for free as well lol.

MS can't keep giving their OS away for free forever. They can't subsidise their OS cost within their hardware cost like Apple does and google do in their partnership with all the andriod phone makers. MS does not have much they can use to subsidise their OS cost.

Subsidise as in have the OS be free but the customer pays for it another way, like within the Apple or Andriod phone hardware cost.

MS can't keep giving their OS away for free forever. They can't subsidise their OS cost within their hardware cost like Apple does and google do in their partnership with all the andriod phone makers. MS does not have much they can use to subsidise their OS cost.

Subsidise as in have the OS be free but the customer pays for it another way, like within the Apple or Andriod phone hardware cost.
If they do their market right they could, but currently it's pretty pathetic.

Either way it's free now, get on it while it lasts :D.

I mostly use windows 10 or windows 7 pro. I like it much much much much much much more than OSX operating systems.

Any particular reason why you prefer Windows10 over a *nix? (OS X is considered a Unix-based OS like Linux). There are things I like about Windows 10, such as not having to deal with the Charms bar like in Windows 8, but having two places to go for altering settings is really unintuitive. They should either stick with the Control Panel or the Settings applet, it's silly to have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom