• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which operating system?

What Operating System do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • Mac

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Linux

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don't use a desktop operating system

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use Windows 10. I can't really afford a Mac, plus Windows does everything I want already, so no point in changes yet.

I have used Windows since the XP days, and just shied away from Mac OS as I only ever encountered it rarely, and I told myself it was bad, because it wasn't what I had. So childish! A few years ago I had the option to choose a PC or a Mac as my laptop (as a present from my parents), and I foolishly chose a PC, while almost at the same time my brother got a Mac. Now, my Windows PC crashes pretty much twice a week, and it insists on pretending it has never been connected to our home Internet, so I have to manually reenter the password every time it crashes (Our password is over 30 characters long, and is completely meaningless). All this while taking 10 minutes to start up, and just being generally bad in general.
Contrast this to my brother's Mac, which runs incredibly smoothly (he says it has never crashed on him), starts up in less than 30 seconds, works flawlessly with our internet connection, and comes with Siri, FaceTime, iCloud (for photos and music), and iMessage included. I could kick my previous, foolish self.
Oh, and price isn't even much of an issue, my brother got his mac for only about 15% more than the cost of my HP Envy.
So basically, I use Windows, but plan to jump ship as soon as is economically viable for me to do so.

My dad runs his old PC on Windows XP, and I'm curious how I can convince him to switch to something new so he can begin using new apps.

Hey Forum Dwellers, been a little bicurious as to which operating systems my fellow ZD-I peeps have on their desktops. I use both Windows 8 and Linux U myself, what about you? When it comes to justifying the investment in test automation https://testfort.com/blog/how-to-calculate-automation-testing-roi-common-mistakes and measuring its effectiveness, calculating the ROI through automation testing is a valuable approach. However, it's crucial to be aware of common mistakes that can result in inaccurate or misleading outcomes. These mistakes include neglecting to consider maintenance costs, the quality of test scripts, the frequency of test runs, and the impact of automation on the overall development process. One tool that I personally find beneficial for automation testing is OpenShift CLI. It enables me to effortlessly create and manage applications on OpenShift clusters, execute commands, and automate tasks. OpenShift CLI is user-friendly and supports various languages and frameworks. Additionally, it seamlessly integrates with other tools like Jenkins, Git, and Selenium. If you're looking to enhance your automation testing workflow and increase productivity, I highly recommend exploring OpenShift CLI.
I have been using OpenShift CLI (oc) for web development on Windows 10 and I find it very convenient and powerful. It allows me to interact with OpenShift Container Platform from a command-line interface, without having to rely on a Linux bastion, Windows Subsystem for Linux, or other tools that are not Windows native. I can easily create applications, manage projects, and access cluster resources using oc commands. I can also install oc on Linux and macOS, which gives me flexibility and consistency across different platforms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom