• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which of these Mario games is a "3D Mario"?

Click all 3D Marios in the captcha below.

• Total voters

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I scoured for any mario-esque game matching this description but the best inversion I could find was NSMB lol
If the Star coins were required to progress than I can see it being compared to Galaxy 2, but even then I’d say that 3D Land and 3D world are more similar in design to Galaxy 2 than that.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
All of those except NSMB are 3D Marios. I would say that SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy & 2, and Oddysey are "mainline" 3D Mario games whereas 3D Land/World + Bowser's Fury sort of stand on their own.
bowser's fury is an interesting one, and I put it on the list separately for this reason, because despite the fact that I haven't myself played it, the add-on seems to be more like an Odyssey in gameplay than a 3DW

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
If the Star coins were required to progress than I can see it being compared to Galaxy 2, but even then I’d say that 3D Land and 3D world are more similar in design to Galaxy 2 than that.
yeah, it's on this list because the models and objects are 3D, not for any gameplay reasons. If there was a game like that it would be on here, there just isn't

I consider Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2, 3D Land, 3D World, Odyssey, and Bowser's Fury to all be 3D Mario's. 3D Land and 3D World are definitely still 3D Mario games as there is a Z-axis even if the movement is more limited than other 3D Mario games and the level design is akin to 2D Mario.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I should remind you guys of this picture

odysseylineagee4s9i.jpg

where at least according to nintendo, the top games are more goal oriented whereas the bottom ones are more sandboxy or exploration oriented

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend

odysseylineagee4s9i.jpg

where at least according to nintendo, the top games are more goal oriented whereas the bottom ones are more sandboxy or exploration oriented
Ok, but they also said that Galaxy was the first true sequel to Mario 64 when it was first announced, so I’d take what they say with a grain of salt.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I never understood why people continue to dismiss the 3D titled games as actual 3D games just because they stick closer to their 2D roots, despite being full fledged 3D video games. Lack of camera control and linear game design doesn't negate that either.

If anything, Mario 64 was a huge departure from the Mario series due to the lack of any established conventions for 3D game design that developers just sort of winged it when transitioning long established 2D franchises into 3D. That's how Mario went from having a series of unique levels that tasked you to go from point A to point B to a handful of sandbox levels with various goals within them.

The fact that the games became more linear after Sunshine even shows that Nintendo themselves were starting to get closer to what an actual Mario game in 3D would be like that they even started putting 3D in the title. It's as true as a Mario game could get in 3D.

The whole debate is really absurd, especially when they're all such fantastic games and all deserve to be called Mario games. There is no real 3D or fake 3D. They're just different takes of the same thing and all share the same core mechanics that make a Mario game a Mario game regardless of which style one prefers.

The whole debate is really absurd, especially when they're all such fantastic games and all deserve to be called Mario games. There is no real 3D or fake 3D. They're just different takes of the same thing and all share the same core mechanics that make a Mario game a Mario game regardless of which style one prefers.

It's just categorization. It's sort of interesting to think about what a proper term would be. For a long time, if you said "3D Mario" it was universally understood that you meant Mario 64, Sunshine, and/or the Galaxies. No one took that as dismissing Double Dash even though that game is a 3D Mario too if you try to interpret that phrase literally. Now there is 3D Land, which is 3D but distinct enough from the prior 3D Mario's that it feels off to say it's in the same category as 64.

odysseylineagee4s9i.jpg

I always found that weird how the Galaxy games are grouped with 3D Land and 3D World by Nintendo themselves. They are definitely more linear than 64 and Sunshine, especially Galaxy 2, but there are still quite a few more open galaxies to explore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom