• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which of these Mario games is a "3D Mario"?

Click all 3D Marios in the captcha below.

• Total voters

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
technically yeah, they're all in 3d, nsmb games are of course excluded b/c they're sidescollers and are always lumped in w/ "2d mario"

3d world and 3d land are of course in 3d, but its back and forth as to if they should be in the same category as galaxy, sunshine, and the rest

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
for me, I exclude SM3DL and SM3DW (ironic considering theirs are the only titles with 3D IN the title) because I feel that SM64 really established what it meant to be a 3D mario game mechanically, and the 3DW/L games mechanically play like 2D mario games, just in 3 dimensions

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
for me, I exclude SM3DL and SM3DW (ironic considering theirs are the only titles with 3D IN the title) because I feel that SM64 really established what it meant to be a 3D mario game mechanically, and the 3DW/L games mechanically play like 2D mario games, just in 3 dimensions
its funny b/c those games are exactly the 2d mario format but just in a 3d space, while 64 and the others follow their own format

Just because they have a different gameplay focus doesn't mean they aren't 3D games as well as Mario games; therefore, they're 3D Mario games.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'd consider any of the games that allow you to move in 3D space to be 3D Mario, even 3D Land and 3D World, despite them being fundamentally different in design from games like 64 or Sunshine.

NSMB is movement on a 2D plane, so I wouldn't consider those to be 3D, personally, even if there are 3D models, etc. involved.

That's the point of this thread- what is your definition of "3D mario"
I use the definition established by SM64 and Sunshine- a unique gameplay experience to traditional 2D mario

3D Land, 3D World, and to an extent Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are games that are all both 3D games as well as Mario games, though. Perhaps your definition should be kept up to date based on new information, no?

That's like saying that either BotW or SS are not real 3D Zelda games because they each have vastly different gameplay focuses, lol.

botw isn't a real zelda game, we already established that in the last thread like this
Why not?

There's exploration, combat, dungeons, mini dungeons and dungeon like areas, puzzles, an overworld, and even takes elements from previous Zelda games(like using enemy weapons in TWW, the different outfits from TFH, etc.) and expands on them.

If saying that ''BotW isn't a real Zelda game'' is your way of saying that you don't like the game, your personal assessment on a game's quality is not indicative of whether it's a ''real'' Zelda game.

I'll quote myself from the unpopular opinion thread so you can see what I mean:

BotW is one of the best games in the series, and the idea that it's fundamentally that different to the other games in the series is unfounded. The game has an overworld that you traverse/explore, and it has dungeons where you navigate through and solve puzzles in to fight a boss, and upon defeating said boss you obtain a HC. It also has sidequests, etc. It follows the Zelda formula just like any other game, only focusing more on certain elements of the formula which is something most other Zelda games do. For example, MM focuses on sidequests, Zelda 2 focuses on navigation and combat, SS focuses more on dungeon content than ever before to the point where even the overworld feels like a dungeon at times, and BotW focuses more on open exploration and puzzles/riddles. In regards to the open exploration part, BotW isn't even the first game to focus on this; Zelda 1 and ALBW have open exploration as well, and there's elements of it in ALttP and TWW too. Just because Nintendo decided to focus on different elements of the Zelda formula for this game like they do for other games in the series doesn't mean that not all elements of the formula are there to some extent, nor is BotW a bad game because it doesn't focus as much on the elements you would've preferred.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
There's exploration, combat, dungeons, mini dungeons and dungeon like areas, puzzles, an overworld, and even takes elements from previous Zelda games(like using enemy weapons in TWW, the different outfits from TFH, etc.) and expands on them.

If saying that ''BotW isn't a real Zelda game'' is your way of saying that you don't like the game, your personal assessment on a game's quality is not indicative of whether it's a ''real'' Zelda game.
one of the pillars of the zelda franchise is the idea of linear progression tied to key items
item A unlocks gate A
item B unlocks gate B

this sense of progression is repeated throughout the zelda series and is a mainstay of the metroidvania genre
breath of the wild doesn't share this same progression as every "real zelda game"
there are other pillars like puzzle based dungeons that you referenced
but when you eliminate a pillar of design from your game it becomes a different game

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom