• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Nintendo IP would make a good 'Souls-like'?

A 'Souls-like' is the current term for games that are difficult seemingly just because they can.

The Dark Souls games, Nioh, Bloodborne, The Surge and the upcoming Code Vein all have similarities in terms of themes, mechanics and being hard as hell.

Nintendo recently have embraced the modern version of the open world genre with Zelda and have begun burrowing into multiplayer based online games which are all the rage like Overwatch with Splatoon and Arms.

I think it may only be a matter of time before Nintendo tries a souls-like of its own. It'll probably be a new IP when it happens, but since we could never fathom what they'd do i think it'd be more interesting to explore which existing IP could make the genre jump well.

In terms of tone, Metroid would probably be a good choice for a souls-like game. Metroid has jumped gameplay styles and genres before. I cant imagine it'd be too hard to birth a souls-like game from its name.

Eternal Darkness would be another. I remember the game being hard back in the day and making its return a souls-like would probably help it sell well.

Kirby would be my third pick. Kirby is a legend and i love him. If Zelda didnt exist Kirby would be my jam. Remember thay scene in Brawl where he takes out the sky canon in one hit?
Early Kirby games were like 'my first platformer', child friendly with not much challenge but his games have definitely become harder over the years. Maybe Nintendo should turn him up to eleven and have him enter the souls-like arena.

How about you guys, which Nintendo IPs would make a good Souls-like?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't really play Nintendo games anymore apart from Zelda and Mario so I couldn't suggest any others. Zelda to me is the only one of the Nintendo games I play that would make a good Souls-like experience.

I have heard BoTW compared to DS but I didn't get that vibe at all. It's not meant to be hard like DS. In fact it is very easy combat wise if you have the right equipment. DS on the other hand is punishing even with the best weapons equipped and a silly mistake will always cost you.

I could see a Zelda game like this working but of course such a thing will unlikely ever come to be.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think you mean, games that have no hand holding, little directional aid and rely on the player actually figuring their crap out without advice.

My answer is none. Not a single Nintendo IP would make a good Dark Souls style game as none of them have the same core gameplay style (talking linearity and the goal to make the next checkpoint/campfire and not difficulty). Nintendo would have to create a new IP with this core gameplay for it to be similar to Dark Souls.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
I honestly don't really think Nintendo will make a Souls-like, nor do I necessarily think they should. It might be interesting to see their take on what's now essentially its own genre (or at least sub-genre), but it would sort of require them to take a completely different direction with game design, Breath of the Wild being the closest they've come with a mildly similar learning curve. So like @the8thark said, it would most likely need to be a new IP of some kind. Though like I said before, I don't think they will make one, as it's just completely out of their element and Nintendo doesn't tend to conform to popular trends anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom