• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Messaging Service is Popular In Your Country?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When traveling I’ve noticed that different services are used as the mainstream in different countries to get messages between friends.

For example, here in Australia I think most people (at least young people) currently use Facebook Messenger, and Snapchat to communicate with each other. But services like WhatsApp, LINE, WeChat, and others are hardly known and hardly used. People don’t seem to send text messages much anymore either.

In China everyone used WeChat (obviously not much choice there), in Japan LINE is a go to, in Indonesia WhatsApp and Line were both popular. Facebook Messenger and Snapchat were not used by the majority of young people I came across in any of these countries. It also seems to me that WhatsApp is huge around the world but it hasn’t taken off here (except seemingly among ethnic diasporas here).

I have accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, WeChat, LINE, and WhatsApp because I have friends all over the world. But I mainly use Facebook Messenger for my Aussie friends.

What’s popular in your country and what do you use?

QcFQOVmY_o.png

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Discord and Facebook Messenger seem to be the go-tos here.

Dan

I think as the internet got bigger and more unified the majority of countries ended up using the same app. It's not as varied as it was years ago where you had some countries favouring a specific messenger like ICQ(oh wow it's still going), AIM, Yahoo Messenger etc.

I use Discord and IRC myself. I don't have a Facebook and I recently kicked Skype out of my life due to its constant blotation and useless features being added like stupid 4 second videos from some film. I didn't want to get a whatsaspp account due to it being owned by Facebook but I caved in the end.

Quin

Disaster Master
Your phone might as well not exist if you don't have whats app on it over here. So I use that very occasionally, but my main message platform as the pro gamer that I am is of course Discord.

ZeldaFan11

#TeamPhelps
Before my bf went to Rome to study abroad for the semester we used standard IMessage, but now we use FB Messenger. I also use Snapchat pretty frequently and i just made an account on discord yesterday.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In the Netherlands it's a bit like Facebook, whatsapp (for phones) and the same as usual. I mainly use Facebook. I don't use messenger at all. I'm horrible when it comes to chats. Skype, Discord, Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger, you hardly find me using those and if I use those I might say one whole sentence in 5 years or so.

Viber, and Skype for most friends now. That took a long time. Facebook Messenger for the folks who refuse to convert... Then standard texting for the really not close friends and my parents who can't be bothered to understand technology.

I use VoIP services mostly, that's very convy. I use UFONE provider with 3CX Pro Hosted plan. It offers the best quality VoIP services in NZ, and certified 3CX technical support and advice. No-one else can match this in NZ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom