• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Which LoZ Game is the Most Bloodthirsty?

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Hi guys!

I haven't played all Zelda games, so I can't answer this question myself:

---Which Zelda Game Features More Deaths?---

It's a simple question, although highly subjective: there are different kind of deaths, sort of speaking, and all the LoZ games have a bit of everything -wars, doom and destruction are common, everyday words in Hyrule. But not to rely on cold numbers, I'd differentiate between three kinds of death:

-"Potential death" the possibility of a massive slaughter hanging by a thread, which is actually the usual scenario in all games (You are the only one who can avoid the world's destruction!!). Includes possible wars, oncoming catastrophes, future apocalypses and so and so.

-"Massive death" Potential death made true, although maybe not as extensive as it was promised: great example in OoT, Ganondorf promised to exterminate everyone in all directions, but when Link awakens there is still a lot of people beyond Hyrule Wasteland (former Hyrule Field). Wars, invasions, anything that happen during the game even though we don't get to see it. This may include blood stains, graveyards and zombies, since we are told in the game that something deadly happened there some time ago.

-"Persoal death" The death of one concrete character, even if we don't know his/her name. Ghosts, apparitions, executions, fading enlightened deaths (and I'm not looking at you, SS Impa), etc. And we could even fit in characters not nearly dead but badly wounded, suggested to have been killed or disappeared -and therefore, maybe dead.

Personally, I'd give the "personal death" a bit more of importance, hence making MM the most bloodthirsty: we get to see three corpses, each of them serve Link as masks later.

Anyhow, which one do you think shows and implies more deaths? Which one feels more bloodthirsty?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Without a doubt, Spirit Tracks. Mainly because of Zelda herself. She looks so sweet, but honestly it's a good deal harder to STOP her from killing enemies. She'll kill anything in sight whether it need it for the next puzzle or not. This is possibly because of some anger issues she's developed from me whipping her in the back to make her speed up...which in itself is purely sadistic.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
I think the obvious one for potential death is Majora's Mask, as the moon is ALWAYS looming just over your head and the timer adds to the feel of haste and panic.

Massive death, I think, isn't really used as much in Zelda games. You could definitely argue that the 7 year time warp in OoT and what meets your eyes in the city could be labeled as massive death. You can only access one area of the city, the main courtyard, and it's full of redeads, which are basically zombies. The potential for massive death is in Majora's Mask, but that's still potential.

Personal death is in a lot of the games. Your uncle in A Link to the Past, the Great Deku Tree in Ocarina, the Goron babies father in Majora's Mask.

I would agree with you that Majora's Mask is the most "bloodthirsty" of all the games. You have the potential for massive death hanging over your head throughout the game, plus you have many personal deaths of characters who you barely get to meet yet leave a legacy behind. You live on as those characters.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Seriously dude, It's MM. I mean the entire world gets destroyed by the moon! I don't get no darker than that, boy! I mean technically it can be undone using time travel, but it still happens in game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom