• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Which is the Most Unique Link?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Even though each game features a different Link, he is essentially the same hero we all know what and love. Although he has somewhat of a similar character, there are slight differences here and there and maybe this applies to the more recent installments -- regarding Link being a character that is.

I feel Nintendo are focusing more on the story side of things and with this comes them focusing on Link's persona, so I think now we are starting to see more unique versions of Link. Given what I've said, which Link do you think is the most unique and why?

I think Skyward Sword Link is the most unique.

In other games, he's a detached hero saving the princess, but in Skyward Sword, Zelda is his long time childhood friend. Additionally, rather than grow up on a ranch or in a forest, he's an aspiring student. As the game progresses, Skyward Sword Link closer resembles a traditional hero, yet his unconventional upbringing swerves the story in a different direction.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think Wind Waker Link is the strongest contender for this. He had the most emotion and facial expressions, and he started his quest for a personal reason; to rescue his kidnapped sister, not to save the land. The cel-shaded and cartoony style of his character model also helps him stand out in my mind. He could also do things other Links couldn't, namely parry attacks and sidling. With the use of the Wind Waker, he could become a conductor instead of a musician like most other Links. That was another another thing I find unique about him.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They're all generic characters, so we have to look instead to the amount of relationships. TP Link by far has the most relationships with people; he's the hero of a land, not simply some chosen hero. He makes connections with the entirety of Ordon and is treated almost like a son of the village, always welcomed with open arms. His connections with people are also more personalized than any other Link. He makes Impaz happy by doing a simple goal. He helps Renado keep an entire village from an angry Goron onslaught. He saved a dead queen's son - who later on became a nice queen herself. And he's personalized Colin. TP Link is the most unique in that aspect.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
None of them. OoT/MM Link has no personality like the Links before him. TP Link is copied by SS Link. tWW Link is copied by FS, FSA, MC, and ST Link.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I find MC link one of the most unique Links actually, as far as his Pallet structure, and his game play abilities, brought back a lot of cool Hidden skills, some you have to combine with other items. like the roc cape for the downward thrust!

aside from that ALttP link does have the most unique story behind him though you got to admit!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I am torn between Skyward Sword Link and Ocarina of Time Link.

Sky!Link is definitely the most differentiated character as far as emotions and expression. This is largely due to the software allowing that kind of thing now, but it was also clearly a choice on the part of Nintendo. The "Link" to the games has always been a blank sort of character, with limited expression of his own, not just due to the software limitations of past games, but due to choice as the character is meant to be an almost-avatar for the player. Nintendo decided to make Sky!Link a little more of "his own" as far as characterization, clearly. It doesn't matter what you think of Zelda, Link makes the most anguished faces ever when she seals herself away. It doesn't matter what you think of an underwhelming treasure, he gets a crap-happy look on his face when he picks one up. It doesn't matter how industrious and caffineated you are when playing the game, you sit that boy down on a bench for more than a minute, and he's snoozing... Sky!Link definitely feels more like "his own" in regards to character than any of the other Links, and that makes him unique.

However, I also think the Hero of Time is unique, because, well... Way to go, Hero, you're the only one among your kind to BREAK YOUR UNIVERSE. I mean, his actions basically *broke Time* and created the split in the game-universe timelines. He also has the unique position and curse to sleep through half his childhood and to awake to being an adult, to live and fight as an adult and then to go back to being a child. Character-wise, I've always interpreted him as being a little messed-up because of that, confused as to his identity and so forth. A lot of the Links (including him, again, in MM) go through transformation experiences, but his transformation involved him jumping back and forth from unique life-positions. Then, of course, when he went back to his "own time" his heroism was presumably un-remembered. Living through another time and creating alternate universes with one's existence makes him unique. Again, none of the other Links BROKE TIME like he did.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
the Wind Waker Link definitely had the most personality. I mean most others are pretty blank, although the SS Link tries to do more. The WW Link still has the most to fight for, the most good facial expressions, and he actually talks a little. I'm not saying I like it, but he is the most unique.

Ragadash

Composer of the Sea's
I feel the hero of winds is unique. He does what he must, for his sister, his new friend tetra and the king of red lions, lot of emotion was seen in the characters, it made for the most memorable link

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think SS Link is the most unique. He is obviously much more personable to others than any other Link in my opinion- he expresses emotion, not just because the software allows it now although that's definitely a part of it, but because he demonstrates an obvious attachment to Zelda, his Loftwing, and other things/characters in the game. He also looks kind of different (not drastically, but still) from other Links, barring TWW Link. I don't know, I just think he has been characterised a lot better than any other Link. He has a personality.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The Wind Waker Link is probably the most unique. He has a lot of facial expressions and a lot more story to him than the other Links. The other Links just feel lifeless and puppet like. The Wind Waker Link actually feels like a character.

bunny

birb overlord
Well, as far as personality goes, I really can't decide between WW and SS Link, so I'm going to go with both. They both have a ton of facial expressions, and even though we never see either of them speak, you can still understand their emotions. I also think that both have the most interesting backgrounds. WW Link is pretty much the only Link with a close relationship to his family, and SS Link's relationship with Zelda gave a lot of charm to the game. That also motivated me to save Zelda even more; I almost felt like I was the one trying to rescue my childhood friend. As for design, I guess I'd have to give that to TP Link. He was the first Link to have that awesome chainmail under his tunic, and the designs imprinted on his gauntlets and boots are freaking slick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom