• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which is better? Skyward Sword Vs Twilight Princess!

I personally prefer Twilight Princess. Most of you already know why, so I won’t go into detail. I’ll just say I love the plot more, it has some of my favorite characters in it, it was my first Zelda game, there’s a village full of super adorable cats, and it has the best companion in the series.

All of what I just said is my opinion. Midna can be the best companion to some or she can be the worst to some. People have different tastes in music, in characters, in art, etc. Some may be enthralled by the bright colors in SS, or the soft and eerie-like melodies of Twilight Princess.

So this argument going on is pretty much pointless.

The point of a game is for people to have a good time. If people don’t have a good time, whether it be bad controls or malfunction, it’s not a good game. Keep in mind I don’t mean art style or type of music, but the mechanics of the game, because there is a wide range of musical and artistic tastes.

People look at games differently, so some people may absolutely love a game, while someone else will say it’s the worst, and that’s great. SS was average/neutral to me, but I know people to love it. I also know people who hate it. There’s never going to be a perfect game that everyone in the world will adore and cherish. People are just too different.

But that’s fine, because I love to see unique opinions about stuff, it opens my mind to possibilities to combine different ideas to make a game almost everyone will love.

Motion controls are different for people. Some may love it, some may not. That is an opinion. It is not a fact that motion controls are the best. Just like it’s not a fact that motion controls aren’t the best. It is an opinion.

So how about we just respect each other’s opinions then?
Never said motion controls were the best. They do suck sometimes. But, at the end of the day, the story is good and that's all that matters.

No. It's your fault for turning what could've been a pleasant discussion into a rant about why you're right and everyone else is ignorant.
I never said that in anyway! All I said was that I don't...I don't understand why people trash it so much! The story, that is. It's a good story.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Never said motion controls were the best. They do suck sometimes. But, at the end of the day, the story is good and that's all that matters.

You didn’t? I must’ve misunderstood then, sorry, but I thought you said it right here though?

Maybe you sucked at using the motion controls..have you seen Chuggaaconroy man? That dude had more problems with the buttons! And every character was absolutely amazing! Maybe you didn't give it a chance. Get past the intro, and it is the best game in the franchise.
I ain't crying, first off. And it's not my fault you guys can't understand the only thing I've said (the motion control aren't bad)

But I guess ‘aren’t bad’ and ‘best’ are really different.

I never said that in anyway! All I said was that I don't...I don't understand why people trash it so much! The story, that is. It's a good story.

I like the story too, not as much as TP, MM, or BotW, but I still like it. But if people have had a bad experience with it so far, whether that be art style, music, mechanics, characters, and even the story, they might not like it as much as you do. If someone has a bad experience with a game, they most likely won’t look at the game in a positive light.

I do agree with giving stuff second chances. Sometimes if I don’t like a certain type of food, I’ll try it again in a few years, and sometimes I love it. That’s because my tastes in food change over the years, and I’ll find that something I used to not like I love now.

But the thing to realize is that with every game in the world, someone out there is not going to enjoy it for whatever reason they have. And we all have to learn to respect their opinions. And maybe we should listen to their opinions and figure out why they don’t like whatever bothers them in a game. You may not agree with it, but now at least you know why they don’t like it.

For example, maybe someone doesn’t like a plot of a game because they find it’s too generic, or they prefer games with darker vibes. Maybe the game just doesn’t suit them.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I like Skyward Sword. I think it is a really fun game with good music and a unique control scheme that just falls flat in certain areas compared to other games like Twilight Princess. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, whether you agree with them or not.

On the topic of motion controls, I played the game lying on my back on the couch so I never had much trouble with them. But I know people who did and you can't say they're doing it wrong, the controls just aren't perfectly responsive all the time. That's a natural problem with motion controls and it's totally valid for people to say they don't work very well.

I think both games were, and still are, on equal terms.
  • SS, had a HUGE amount of things to do, but at the same time, had limited areas to do such. TP was the polar opposite, huge map, but very little to do.
  • Both games had, what I feel to be, an even amount of memorable characters.
  • Both had good and bad bosses, TP had interesting mechanics, and the motion control in SS made for fun experiences.

Maybe you sucked at using the motion controls..have you seen Chuggaaconroy man? That dude had more problems with the buttons! And every character was absolutely amazing! Maybe you didn't give it a chance. Get past the intro, and it is the best game in the franchise.
I don't know who that is, but I have indeed seen walkthroughs. I assure you I would otherwise not be making such observations.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Watch Chuggaaconroy's walkthrough.

I don't think it works to point at people who struggled to get the motion controls to work and say, "Hey, you're just doing it wrong." I played Skyward Sword with two different Wiimotes using the external Wii Motion+ attachment, calibrated it constantly, and still struggled to get the controls to work. Part of it I attribute to the primitive motion controls of the Wii. You can't really improve those controls significantly without straight up changing how the Wii itself handles.

By comparison, my budget WMR VR headset from 2017 absolutely embarrasses both iterations of Wii motion controls. The Wii was just not capable of the level of precise motion controls necessary to make sword combat fun or precise.

I don't think it works to point at people who struggled to get the motion controls to work and say, "Hey, you're just doing it wrong." I played Skyward Sword with two different Wiimotes using the external Wii Motion+ attachment, calibrated it constantly, and still struggled to get the controls to work. Part of it I attribute to the primitive motion controls of the Wii. You can't really improve those controls significantly without straight up changing how the Wii itself handles.

By comparison, my budget WMR VR headset from 2017 absolutely embarrasses both iterations of Wii motion controls. The Wii was just not capable of the level of precise motion controls necessary to make sword combat fun or precise.
Alright. Then, maybe the console's bad. But Chuggaaconroy SAT DOWN WITH HIS WII MOTE UNDER A DESK, HIS MICROPHONE IN FRONT OF HIM SO HE COULDN'T GO UP WITH HIS REMOTE TOO FAR, and he STILL did really good. Maybe it was the Wii. So, if the game got ported, it wouldn't be as bad. Oh, and a misconception? Standing up! You DON"T HAVE TO DO IT!!!

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Alright. Then, maybe the console's bad. But Chuggaaconroy SAT DOWN WITH HIS WII MOTE UNDER A DESK, HIS MICROPHONE IN FRONT OF HIM SO HE COULDN'T GO UP WITH HIS REMOTE TOO FAR, and he STILL did really good. Maybe it was the Wii. So, if the game got ported, it wouldn't be as bad. Oh, and a misconception? Standing up! You DON"T HAVE TO DO IT!!!

The Switch's motion controls just aren't that much better than the Wii's. They still rely on relatively primitive gyroscope tech for their motion controls, which is why the console just doesn't know what to do if you make broad movements too quickly. Modern VR handsets just don't use gyroscopes. It doesn't work for precise motion and it's even worse when trying to do something quickly.

The Switch's motion controls just aren't that much better than the Wii's. They still rely on relatively primitive gyroscope tech for their motion controls, which is why the console just doesn't know what to do if you make broad movements too quickly. Modern VR handsets just don't use gyroscopes. It doesn't work for precise motion and it's even worse when trying to do something quickly.
Well, then maybe I change my mind. Nintendo needs to make a console specifically for PERFECT motion controls. Then, people can stop complaining about the controls.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I just want to clarify that the Wii Motion Plus controls aren't bad, they're just not advanced enough for the complex controls that a game like Skyward Sword is trying to create with its sword stuff. 's like how the Switch isn't a bad console just because it isn't as powerful as the Xbone and PS4, but it is worse if you look at it and say, "Yup, I'm going to use this console to develop a hyper advanced graphical powerhouse."

I just want to clarify that the Wii Motion Plus controls aren't bad, they're just not advanced enough for the complex controls that a game like Skyward Sword is trying to create with its sword stuff. 's like how the Switch isn't a bad console just because it isn't as powerful as the Xbone and PS4, but it is worse if you look at it and say, "Yup, I'm going to use this console to develop a hyper advanced graphical powerhouse."
Yeah, I see what you're getting at. I really do wish Nintendo would make a console powerful enough to handle Skyward Sword and its motion controls.

MW7

I think Skyward Sword is a bit better. Both games have extremely good dungeons which are the core of very enjoyable main quests. I think Skyward Sword made a few tiny improvements in areas that annoyed me such as the Silent Realms being more enjoyable than the Tears of Light quests. I think the biggest improvement came in side quests. Twilight Princess had some cool things like the hidden caves, but overall it felt like a step back in terms of side content from Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Skyward Sword didn't reach the heights of those two games in terms of side quests, but it came closer than Twilight Princess did. I enjoyed helping the residents of Skyloft and completing 100%. Skyloft isn't as great as Clock Town or Windfall Island, but it's pretty good.

One thing I would say is a clear differentiator, if not a positive or negative, is the motion controls of Skyward Sword. I enjoyed them a lot, but to this day kind of am annoyed when I hear people say that they were perfect. It's a fun experience, but I think it's also a barrier to play. I have replayed Twilight Princess many more times because it's been out longer but also because I need to be in the mood to use motion controls to play Skyward Sword. When I say that, I actually mean that I genuinely feel like I have to stand up to play the game and be comfortable staying in place for hours. When I play Twilight Princess I'd be sitting down with the Gamecube or walking around the room with the Wii U gamepad. I appreciate the motion controls of Skyward Sword, but I think it would be awful if every game had motion controls.

I think Skyward Sword is a bit better. Both games have extremely good dungeons which are the core of very enjoyable main quests. I think Skyward Sword made a few tiny improvements in areas that annoyed me such as the Silent Realms being more enjoyable than the Tears of Light quests. I think the biggest improvement came in side quests. Twilight Princess had some cool things like the hidden caves, but overall it felt like a step back in terms of side content from Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Skyward Sword didn't reach the heights of those two games in terms of side quests, but it came closer than Twilight Princess did. I enjoyed helping the residents of Skyloft and completing 100%. Skyloft isn't as great as Clock Town or Windfall Island, but it's pretty good.

One thing I would say is a clear differentiator, if not a positive or negative, is the motion controls of Skyward Sword. I enjoyed them a lot, but to this day kind of am annoyed when I hear people say that they were perfect. It's a fun experience, but I think it's also a barrier to play. I have replayed Twilight Princess many more times because it's been out longer but also because I need to be in the mood to use motion controls to play Skyward Sword. When I say that, I actually mean that I genuinely feel like I have to stand up to play the game and be comfortable staying in place for hours. When I play Twilight Princess I'd be sitting down with the Gamecube or walking around the room with the Wii U gamepad. I appreciate the motion controls of Skyward Sword, but I think it would be awful if every game had motion controls.
Thank you. And no, the motion controls aren't perfect, but a very popular misconception is that you have to stand up to play. You don't. You can very well sit down and play the game just fine (the only motion controls are the sword and when aiming, and of course flying that STUPID LOFTWING. They aren't perfect. I love them, but even I have experienced many, many troubles. But I love how you can use the sword anyway you please, instead of being limited. Personally, I think this game would be pretty good as a VR.

Reactions: MW7

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom