• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which is better? Skyward Sword Vs Twilight Princess!

Re-D3ad

Majora’s Worst Nightmare, Hero of Time
Hey guys I’m starting a new series known as “Which is better?” Todays post is Skyward Sword Vs. Twilight Princess! Which game do you think is better!

Choice must have a valid explanation and make sense, also if you haven’t played the game why hate it?

I personally think Twilight Princess is the better of the two because of story plot and character design plus it has a dark tone like majoras mask (My favorite game)
But I admit Skyward Sword also has a beautiful atmosphere and compelling story with the beginning of the Zelda timeline.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are great games with memorable characters, fun gameplay, excellent music, and pleasant visuals. I love them both.

With that said, I would give the edge to Twilight Princess being the better game due to the lack of annoying motion controls, minimal tutorials (by Zelda standards), a better overworld to traverse, a more interesting story, and Midna being a great companion to Link, as well as some other reasons.

Skyward Sword is a good game. No matter how much I may criticize the game, I'll always feel that way about it. But its issues mar the game far more than TP's flaws do. Tedious quests in the final stretch of the game, an excessively linear world for Link to traverse, janky motion controls, Fi, etc. all hurt the overall experience more than anything TP did poorly.

I haven't had the chance to actually play either of them yet. However, I have listened to both soundtracks ad nausea, watched gameplay from both, and know the stories like the back of my hand. I have to give the edge to Twilight Princess, though. Artistically, it just looks way better. I know people criticize the graphics, but I think the somber glow that the game has is truly beautiful. Lighting aside, the design of the game is great, too. The details really sell it as a beautiful picture of Hyrule and its people. Skyward Sword, by comparison, has always looked annoyingly bright to me in many ways, and a little washed out. The artwork doesn't come close to Twilight Princess', especially in the character department. The music, too, I think is better in Twilight Princess than in Skyward Sword. I listen to its soundtrack way more than I listen to Skyward Sword's.
Most importantly, the story is far superior in Twilight Princess. It pays wonderful homage to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but still feels original. It contributes significantly to the lore without contradicting its predecessors, and the new stuff it adds makes the world that much richer. The war with the Dark Interlopers, in particular, makes the world seem that much richer and interesting. Skyward Sword, on the other hand, blatantly ignores things laid down in previous games like the origins of the Master Sword. Every game before it states that the sword was made by the ancient sages, and then Skyward Sword just said, "Nope, goddess Macguffin sword!" I love Fi, but Hylia's involvement completely overrode a bunch of important stuff in the prior lore, and just doesn't really fit with me very well.

@Azure Sage Saying that Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda game, and that it sucks, makes me seriously worry about the condition of your mental health.

Re-D3ad

@Time
I haven't had the chance to actually play either of them yet. However, I have listened to both soundtracks ad nausea, watched gameplay from both, and know the stories like the back of my hand. I have to give the edge to Twilight Princess, though. Artistically, it just looks way better. I know people criticize the graphics, but I think the somber glow that the game has is truly beautiful. Lighting aside, the design of the game is great, too. The details really sell it as a beautiful picture of Hyrule and its people. Skyward Sword, by comparison, has always looked annoyingly bright to me in many ways, and a little washed out. The artwork doesn't come close to Twilight Princess', especially in the character department. The music, too, I think is better in Twilight Princess than in Skyward Sword. I listen to its soundtrack way more than I listen to Skyward Sword's.
Most importantly, the story is far superior in Twilight Princess. It pays wonderful homage to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but still feels original. It contributes significantly to the lore without contradicting its predecessors, and the new stuff it adds makes the world that much richer. The war with the Dark Interlopers, in particular, makes the world seem that much richer and interesting. Skyward Sword, on the other hand, blatantly ignores things laid down in previous games like the origins of the Master Sword. Every game before it states that the sword was made by the ancient sages, and then Skyward Sword just said, "Nope, goddess Macguffin sword!" I love Fi, but Hylia's involvement completely overrode a bunch of important stuff in the prior lore, and just doesn't really fit with me very well.

@Azure Sage Saying that Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda game, and that it sucks, makes me seriously worry about the condition of your mental health.

Calm down, buddy

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm joking. Sort of. But seriously, how can anyone hate Twilight Princess so much? Even without having played it, I can tell you that it has a great story, great music, great visuals, and great characters.
Midna is a terrible character and has poorly-constructed character "development". The character designs are the worst in the series. The artstyle is hideous and did not age well at all. The music ranges from ok to ear-gratingly bad, especially in the twilight sections. The twilight sections themselves were tedious and poorly designed. All of the dungeons except the City in the Sky were also poorly designed and slogs. Same for the bosses. The item use is the worst in the series, most of the items are only useful in the dungeons you get them from and 2 or 3 overworld puzzles. The story is poorly constructed and tryhard edgy.

So yeah, there's very little I like about it.

Re-D3ad

But hey some people absolutely despise Ocarina of Time which is CRAZY! But it’s their opinion and opinions are different just like people, personally I hated the first Zelda game on nes but after playing it I’ve grown into it

Midna is a terrible character and has poorly-constructed character "development". The character designs are the worst in the series. The artstyle is hideous and did not age well at all. The music ranges from ok to ear-gratingly bad, especially in the twilight sections. The twilight sections themselves were tedious and poorly designed. All of the dungeons except the City in the Sky were also poorly designed and slogs. Same for the bosses. The item use is the worst in the series, most of the items are only useful in the dungeons you get them from and 2 or 3 overworld puzzles. The story is poorly constructed and tryhard edgy.

So yeah, there's very little I like about it.
You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion on the matter. I do, however, think that most of your claims are exceedingly subjective and you would have a hard time finding a lot of people who would agree with you.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion on the matter. I do, however, think that most of your claims are exceedingly subjective and you would have a hard time finding a lot of people who would agree with you.
You're preaching to the choir there. :P I only know a small handful of people who feel the same as me about TP. But that won't stop me from disliking it any less. As far as I'm concerned, it's a bad video game and the worst Zelda game.

You should give it another chance! You cannot reasonably say that it is the worst Zelda game when Phantom Hourglass exists, and PH isn't even a bad game!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You should give it another chance! You cannot reasonably say that it is the worst Zelda game when Phantom Hourglass exists, and PH isn't even a bad game!
I've felt this way for several years now. It's gotten more than its fair share of chances, lol. And I absolutely enjoyed PH more than TP. You can see my ranking in my signature under my posts.

All I can say is that you have issues if you honestly think a game as polished as Twilight Princess is anywhere near Four Swords or Phantom Hourglass. Then again, you have Spirit Tracks as your second favorite Zelda game, so you already have some unusual opinions on the series. I just think that disliking any Zelda game is utterly illogical.

Reactions: Pik

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom