• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which games would you drop from the Zelda canon?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So, Iguess the fact that the events of of OoT are constantly mentioned in TWW means nothing? Or the fact that Ganondorf, who is the very same one from OoT acknowledges the HoT?

Yes. If you look at tWW as a stand alone title with OoT being a "legend", then it works fine. But if you view OoT as a literal historical set of events, a lot of tWW doesn't make sense. Why is the pure evil Ganondorf who wanted to destroy Hyrule suddenly sentimental about it? How are the events of MM possible in tWW's timeline when this is on the adult timeline? Where did the Wind Waker come from? It wasn't relevant in OoT. Where did these two sages come from? They were never necessary to power up the Master Sword before and they never were again at any point of time.

But if OoT is a legend, it's easy to explain much of this away with OoT not being literal historical fact and items like the Wind Waker simply being the reinterpretation of the Ocarina of Time and tWW's Ganon being a sympathetic reinterpretation of OoT's Ganondorf.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Yes. If you look at tWW as a stand alone title with OoT being a "legend", then it works fine. But if you view OoT as a literal historical set of events, a lot of tWW doesn't make sense. Why is the pure evil Ganondorf who wanted to destroy Hyrule suddenly sentimental about it? How are the events of MM possible in tWW's timeline when this is on the adult timeline? Where did the Wind Waker come from? It wasn't relevant in OoT. Where did these two sages come from? They were never necessary to power up the Master Sword before and they never were again at any point of time.

But if OoT is a legend, it's easy to explain much of this away with OoT not being literal historical fact and items like the Wind Waker simply being the reinterpretation of the Ocarina of Time and tWW's Ganon being a sympathetic reinterpretation of OoT's Ganondorf.

He never wanted to destroy hyrule, he simply wanted to conquer it. The events of MM aren’t possible, they are on a separate timeline. They explain why the Windwaker exists, it’s not to far a stretch to say that it wasn’t mentioned in previous titles because it simply wasn’t important enough at the time given that it’s only abilities are to control wind. Same for the two sages, they are separate from the 7 sages in OoT, and they were necessary, you just never saw them because the master sword was already powered up and there was no need for new sages.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
He never wanted to destroy hyrule, he simply wanted to conquer it.

Then why did he completely devastate huge portions of it (Hyrule Castle, Zora's Domain, Lake Hylia, Kokiri Forest) and try to destroy the rest of it with Volvagia?

The events of MM aren’t possible, they are on a separate timeline.

Then why are they referenced multiple times in tWW?

Same for the two sages, they are separate from the 7 sages in OoT, and they were necessary, you just never saw them because the master sword was already powered up and there was no need for new sages.

But apparently killing those two sages depowers the Master Sword, so (based on the way it was represented) it would seem that you need these two sages at all times.

Overall though, I didn't get much of a feeling of "Oh yeah, I remember that!" from tWW. Instead, it was mostly a sense of "Wha--? Where the hell did this come from?"

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Then why did he completely devastate huge portions of it (Hyrule Castle, Zora's Domain, Lake Hylia, Kokiri Forest) and try to destroy the rest of it with Volvagia?

Because he's an idiot. He does something similarly dumb with the Sacred Realm in the Downfall timeline, plus what he does to Hyrule in that timeline before Link kills him off for good in that timeline. All of that plotting and scheming, only to lose the Triforce permanently.

Ganondorf was BSing. He wanted Link to lower his guard, as shown by punching him repeatedly once he did.

Ganondorf ingame even remembers the HoT; once he sees you in combat, having defeated Puppet Ganon, he says ''Surely, you are the HoT reborn'', as if he's saying that TWW Link and his combat skills remind him of the HoT.

Also, Aonuma has said that it's a sequel to OoT.

TWW being a sequel to OoT is fact, not opinion. It's that simple.

MM was only referenced in a Tingle Tuner sidequest, which was noncanon anyway due to requiring items outside the game, and besides that, the item was removed in TWWHD anyway.

We never saw those two sages in OoT because they not relevant, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist offscreen; the MS was most likely at its full power, and it wasn't until Ganon returned that they were killed.

Also...

KORL also mentions the Hero of Time travelling to a different land for a new adventure.

This was a mistranslation. The JP version says that he left Hyrule by travelling the flows of time.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend

Then why are they referenced multiple times in tWW?

But apparently killing those two sages depowers the Master Sword, so (based on the way it was represented) it would seem that you need these two sages at all times.

Overall though, I didn't get much of a feeling of "Oh yeah, I remember that!" from tWW. Instead, it was mostly a sense of "Wha--? Where the hell did this come from?"

He destroyed those parts so they would fight back. You can’t stand up to him if you can’t stand up. He left most of hyrule intact, hyrule field, kokiri forest, Lon Lon ranch.

When was MM referenced? All I can think of are the masks in the Nintendo gallery, but they were in OoT as well.

Yeah, you needed those two sages, but ganondorf didn’t kill those sages in OoT, so the master sword never lost power.

If that’s the way you felt about WW I don’t know what to tell you, maybe you aren’t looking hard enough, or even looking at all.

Let's say that you were in charge of cleaning up the Zelda canon.

Aonuma has let you keep and drop games throughout the timeline, whichever game you drop from the timeline will no longer be canon...

Which games would you drop from the canon?
MC FS FSA (I think these three should be in their own seperate timeline). Other than that I think that the downfall timeline should also be separated. I don't know how to describe it but I feel like it doesn't belong connected with OoT so it also deserves its own timeline.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
MC FS FSA (I think these three should be in their own seperate timeline). Other than that I think that the downfall timeline should also be separated. I don't know how to describe it but I feel like it doesn't belong connected with OoT so it also deserves its own timeline.

The funny thing is, prior to OoT being made the Downfall timeline was perfectly coherent and with almost no contradictions. OoT screwed that up.

The Downfall timeline is also the timeline with the most games in it (SS, MC, FS, OoT, ALttP, ALBW, OoA, OoS, LA, LoZ, TFH, AoL, and BotW if that one ends this timeline or ends all timelines). 13 out of 19 games are on this timeline. The other timelines have languished or been almost completely ignored by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom