• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Games Should Have Been Movies?

Gaming is ever encompassing the 'cinematic' feel and qualities of big budget Hollywood films with stellar set pieces, mostly intriguing and interesting characters, action scenes and cutscenes and quick-time-events and more cutscenes... and more quick-time-events.

A few modern games while looking stunning often wrench control from you and force you to play out scripted scenes with no two ways to go about them or force you to play exactly the way they want you to play by giving you quick-time-events before unleashing a cutscene on you (which may or may not have a QTE present).

So with the trend of games going the way its going, which games should have just been movies?
Which games should have forgotten the game part and just been movies?

With so many game publishers and developers moving into the realm of movies with Namco, SquareEnix and Capcom all releasing at least one film for ongoing video game franchises are they ignoring the interactive experiences that make games enjoyable?

I have a few to begin the list.
So, games i think should have been movies and not games are;

Final Fantasy 13

Resident Evil 6

Metroid: Other M (Actually, if you complete the game and choose to watch theatre mode it says 'Metroid: the movie')

Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4 (i loaded up Snake Eater and it was 20 minutes before i actually got to move Snake any considerable distance without being immediately interrupted after a single action)

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Final Fantasy XIII
Resident Evil 6
Zelda Skyward Sword
New Super Mario Bros 2

All IMO of course.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I would wanna see the Mass Effect Series and Valkyrie Profile Series made into movies, they'd be so cool. :yes:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think you've all managed to miss the point. Spirit isn't saying which games would you want turned into movies, she's saying which games may as well have been movies. All of her examples are games which basically play themselves for extended periods of time due to long and numerous cut-scenes and QTEs. It's not a case of 'do you wish there was a Metal Gear Solid movie?' what she's asking is 'should Metal Gear Solid have been a movie in the first place?'.

With that in mind, I'd immediately agree that Metal Gear Solid – any Metal Gear Solid – should have just been a movie. Kojima's interest with the series was to tell a baffling and terrible story and make some lame-brained commentary on war. It shouldn't have been stuffed into a game.

While I enjoy them immensely the Assassin's Creed games could have been movies. The bulk of those games is just you repeating the same few tasks over and over and very little of what isn't essential for the story is mandatory. In fact none of it is. Thinking of Assassin's Creed III in particular, that could have been a very good movie and making a video game was not neccesary for telling that story.

New Super Mario Bros 2

Genuinely have no idea what you mean with this one. Care to elaborate?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Genuinely have no idea what you mean with this one. Care to elaborate?

In my mind, NSMB2 was a video game wasted. The material was generic enough to create a subpar movie rather than the complete-yet-barebones video game we got. It's not so much that the game was filled to the brim with cinematics or a cinematic film, but that it was really nothing new so the talent could've been directed to another medium. That may not be completely in tune with the OP, but it's what I personally feel.

LOL

I'm deaf, For real
I don't know about that... It depends if the writer has a good imagination, feedback from fans. Most video games that were turned into movies didn't do so well such as Hero of Time, Resident Evil films and the Super Mario Bros movie. I wouldn't want to try and make a movie out of a video game, it could ruin the game.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
None, unless the game itself is 2-3hours long. I'd rather see games as mini-series.

But I'll humour you:
- Assassin's Creed; solely based on the fact that I am only on AC2 and haven't touched that game since August (school's keeping me busy). I'd rather watch the movie than continue playing the game after a 6 month hiatus (I forgot everything that was going on).

-Telltale's Walking Dead: Great game/episodes but could have been just as great as a movie since most of the game elements (sans the shooting) only slowed things down, IMO.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yeah, pretty much any 3D Final Fantasy game, especially XIII always struck me as something that would have been better off as a film. Square Enix should just make CGI films instead of "games" since their games tend to suck anymore.

I also thought Odin Sphere lacking in game aspects. The fighting, navigation, and mechanics of that game are simply atrocious. But man does it tell a great story with awesome characters! Should have been an Anime.

Dan

Majora's Mask seems like it could be made into a good or decent film.

Hell yeah, just make it even more so creepy! I could see it as a really deranged horror, Link goes around killing all the innocent beings and cutting off their faces while cello-taping it to his own. yes Hollywood you can have that one ;)
Personally I would like to see a movie about tetris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom