• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Game is the Most Over-rated?

My question is this: Which Zelda game do you hear everyone talk about and think about how that game wasn't THAT good. For me it's Skyward Sword. Now don't get me wrong, SS is one of the best games of all time, But I think some people just get really exited over it (looking at you Axel;)). Nah, I'm kidding, I love the Curiosity Shop.

Heh, fluffy beast.

Honestly, I think Ocarina of Time is the most overrated.
Don't get me wrong it is an amazing, revolutionary game, however, while people still consider it the best zelda game of all time and say nothing will ever compare to it, is quite silly.
It was the best game of its time and remained so for a while, but since then many new Zelda games have been released and in my opinion are better than Ocarina of Time.
I think it is so overrated because people are too afraid to let go of the past and the memories they have with the game. Everyone has a special connection with something, and for many people it is Ocarina of Time, so it is hard for them to admit and realize that it's no longer the 'best zelda game' because if it would be relased right now, exactly the same as it was in 1998, people would just laugh. It is an amazing game, and nearly perfect, but it is very overrated.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Ocarina of Time is easily the most overrated game out of the bunch. It doesn't even need to be said that I consider the game to be unparalleled in its plane of existence (though MM exists on a separate plane that parallels it, imo). It doesn't need to be said the game is flippin' amazing according to its ratings, which are the highest ever. The game is just overrated period.

A good candidate for runner up would be Skyward Sword, people have unconditional love for that sorry game, it makes my heart cringe. So much praise and most is because it is simply a new 3D Zelda -- the same people praising the game like mad have done the same thing for 3D Zeldas since TWW. It's awkward, lol.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Probably Majora's Mask. I never really understood why this game gets so much praise (especially now, not really back then), and this games doesn't really appeal to me as much as the other titles.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ocarina of Time. Do I even need to say why? It really seems that when the question "What is the best [insert game aspect here] in Zelda?" is asked that people will instantly say "OCERINA OF TIEM!!1!" without even thinking about it. To add to that, these people often can't provide actual reasoning for it. The logic is quite often literally "because Ocarina of Time". Yeah, Ocarina does have some qualities about it that are the best in the franchise, and, yes, it's one of the greatest games ever made and a series' elite, but it's still insanely overrated.

Close seconds would be Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker.

Skyward Sword. Inb4 JuicieJ.
A good candidate for runner up would be Skyward Sword, people have unconditional love for that sorry game, it makes my heart cringe. So much praise and most is because it is simply a new 3D Zelda -- the same people praising the game like mad have done the same thing for 3D Zeldas since TWW. It's awkward, lol.

I don't think you can fairly say that a game that receives both lots of praise and hate is overrated. That just doesn't fit the description.

I wouldn't say Oot was over rated, considering the time that it came out, it exceeded all expectations of game play, it changed the world of Zelda completely. If Oot did not exist im sure none of us would be on ZD. To say it is over rated because everyone loves it, what is there to hate about Oot other then Navi? I don't really think any Zelda game is over rated more then over hyped.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
OoT hands down, I love the game but it doesn't deserve the praise it's getting. At the time it was for sure the best game of the year, But out of the series?
Maybe, Depends who you are asking.. A hardcore Zelda fan or a casual gamer.

SS is also not far behind, This game just had way too much hype pre-launch and didn't live up to most expectations. It was a decent game, But there were lots of overhyped early reviews that claimed godlike things about the game.. Just like Modern Warfare 2 for the CoD series, Sure they were both decent games but there was lots of hype that never got lived up to. While OoT didn't have as much hype at the start it became bigger with the times, So it's kind of reverted for OoT. It was a great game at launch, But with the years people have been claiming it to be the best and because of those claims some gamers don't find it to be as great.

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
Ocarina of Time hands down. The Zelda game that changed everything. 3D graphics, lock on targeting, an epic storyline, sidequests and massive dungeons with ominous bosses. Ocarina of Time gained SO much praise that Zelda fans every where still bath in its glory.. Every Zelda fan knows of it and people who don't even play Zelda know about it. Not only is it considered the best Zelda title but it is also considered one of the best video games ever. With todays standards though for Zelda gaming and gaming in general it's a surprise that so many people still cling to this game like a holy magnet of goodness. Ocarina of Time is considered by many to be the best and it definitely is in my heart but the truth is that a lot of other games dominate it on many different aspects ( Even though OoT still wins on a lot of aspects too ). THAT, it why Ocarina of Time is the most over-rated Zelda game.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Ocarina of Time is the most over-rated Zelda game of all time and forever will be.

Yes, it's a good game but honestly, every single 3D Zelda game is better than it and so are most of the 2D ones. A Link To The Past, Oracle of Ages/Seasons and The Minish Cap are all superior to it, in my opinion.

People always talk about how Ocarina of Time changed gaming and while I won't argue that (because it's true) I will say that as far as the Zelda series goes, a lot of the things people credit Ocarina of Time with had already been done by A Link To The Past. Ocarina of Time was fairly close to 'A Link To The Past in 3D' in my opinion.

As I said, Ocarina of Time is a good game. A Link To The Past, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, The Wind Waker, The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are great games.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Honestly, I think Ocarina of Time is the most overrated.
Don't get me wrong it is an amazing, revolutionary game, however, while people still consider it the best zelda game of all time and say nothing will ever compare to it, is quite silly.
It was the best game of its time and remained so for a while, but since then many new Zelda games have been released and in my opinion are better than Ocarina of Time.
I think it is so overrated because people are too afraid to let go of the past and the memories they have with the game. Everyone has a special connection with something, and for many people it is Ocarina of Time, so it is hard for them to admit and realize that it's no longer the 'best zelda game' because if it would be relased right now, exactly the same as it was in 1998, people would just laugh. It is an amazing game, and nearly perfect, but it is very overrated.
This...

I personally believe A Link to the Past is the most over-rated Zelda game. Don't get me wrong, it's a masterpiece but it's not as great as some make it out to be. While the extraordinary creativity and difficulty of its predecessors remains intact, ALttP appeared to be a more mundane installment even with the dual overworld twist.

I've noted a lot of people stating Ocarina of Time is the most over-rated installment in the series but it truly deserves all of the honors it receives. Why are some calling it the worst 3D console installment? That's an entirely subjective matter and if you love SS for being the most involved and innovative title in awhile I have no qualms with that although I may disagree.

Within its historical context OoT was a remarkable achievement. It showcased how to properly use analog control in a 3D adventure environment and further refined the experience through introducing lock-on. Although it may be the most primitive 3D release, it by far exceeds many games on the market market with its stellar dungeon design, intriguing incorporation of musical elements, and efficient transportation via Epona and ocarina warp songs. Moreover, this archaic structure surpassed the formulated overworlds of contemporary Zeldas by not limiting the player to a specific progression; dungeons can in large part be done out of order, personalizing the experience from player to player.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Majora Mask, as much as i loved OoT it really didnt liveup to it, it was pretty much a carbon copy of OoT, and a bad one at that, many people want it on 3ds, but i dont really see why.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I've noted a lot of people stating Ocarina of Time is the most over-rated installment in the series but it truly deserves all of the honors it receives. Why are some calling it the worst 3D console installment? That's an entirely subjective matter and if you love SS for being the most involved and innovative title in awhile I have no qualms with that although I may disagree.

I could be wrong and it's not really my place to speak for everyone else, but I didn't get that impression from their posts. I don't think they said OoT was overrated just because they don't like it as much; I think they were making a genuine point that it's simply overrated. I definitely agree with what you said later in your post – historically, OoT is totally the best game. It certainly shaped the series into what it is today. However, I have to say that I think that every other 3D console game has improved upon Ocarina of Time's original concept in some shape or form, no matter how small. In that sense, it's overrated; it's still considered the 99/100, even though that was its score in 1998. Ocarina of Time 3D didn't get that score, and it had improved graphics and an added boss mode.

And, I mean, think about this: isn't the whole entire concept of an overrated game subjective, anyway? How do you objectively decide if a game deserves it or not? I'd nominate OoT as the most overrated simply because it's a 99/100, and I'm kind of getting tired of everyone claiming it's the greatest game on earth ever to exist for all eternity. I love the game – and you know what? Maybe it IS the best console Zelda, or the best video game, or whatever. But it being the best or the worst has nothing to do with whether it's overrated or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom