• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Game Has Influenced Zelda the Most?

Which one has influenced Zelda the most?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Adventure of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Seasons

• Oracle of Ages

• The Wind Waker

• 4 Swords

• 4 Swords Adventures

• The Minish Cap

• Twilight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Total voters

Rytex

Resident Netizen
OK, so I was on the ZD Facebook page, and I saw a post that said something like "Everyone's not jumping up and down for joy because of ST like they are for ALttP! Come on, guys! Remember how we peed our pants in excitement when it was announced?"

Well, that brought something to mind, after I replied that ALttP influenced Zelda over 20 years, not 2. So, which game do you think has influenced Zelda the most over its 25 years and counting of awesomeness?

Any reason is fine except "The first game, because without it, we wouldn't have the series." That is a huge "Duh."

I'm curious, so explain after you vote, please.

SwiftestPhantom

Ganondorf Incarnate
I'd say OoT, because it intruduced the series into 3D gaming, and also the better uses for items, and much better character development...but this is just my opinion. :)

For me its LttP.
Here are a dew reasons.
Firstly it was the first Zelda fame where you could travel between two worlds,the light and dark worlds.
It also was the first to have Kakariko village.
The first to have the Lost woods.
The first to have bottles.
The first to have pendants etc etc.
This was the game that got me hooked on Zelda.
I just cannot speak highly enough of this game.
For me still the best Zelda game and the one all Zelda games measure themselves against.

Here is a clip of the opening credits to this game.
http://youtu.be/iC0KIrKIEYM

Overall this game introduced us to places for the first time that are now regularly in Zelda games.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Oh, Ocarina of Time, definately. Everything we now know about Zelda comes from the aspects of that game. Now, we have the other games to thank for Ocarina of Time, but there's no way they (even A Link to the Past) outdo Ocarina of Time in influence. I mean, that game has influenced numerous other series. Zelda is the Metallica of the gaming world, and Ocarina of Time is its Master of Puppets (and "Black Album").

Ganondork

goo
Definately OoT. It was the big puzzle-adding game. There weren't half as many puzzles before (probably because they weren't in 3-D). It had in my opinion, superior weapons (other than ALttP's - which was a close second). It also had the best character development and made you love the characters more than you did in previous games.

germ1137

Lokomo Ninja
Phantom Hourglass, no contest. I know we all think the game sucked but I've been waiting FOREVER for the sequel of The Wind Waker to come out, and it's actually not that bad.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Ocarina of Time. Gave us MM, WW, TP, SS. Gave us more story, gave us character development, influenced a whole genre of games.

And I think some people don't understand the question. It's which influenced ZELDA the most, not which influenced you the most.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I would have to say A Link to the Past.​

If you don't agree, play a decent amount (3 or 4 dungeons) through A Link to the Past and then do the same with Ocarina of Time. There was a lot of influence between those two. Meaning, in technical terms, A Link to the Past was most influential. It also introduced a lot of Zelda-y attributes to the series, including: The Master Sword, Fairies (or Faeries), Empty Bottles, different types of Potions, a TON of music (Ganon's Theme, Kakariko Village, etc.), a decent layout of Hyrule that was used in later installments of the game, and quite a few more.

Djinn

and Tonic
Very hard to say, I might actually have to divide my vote between ALTTP and OOT

ALTTP created the current style of game play building upon LoZ, but keeping a few elements that were successful in AoL such as the magic meter, spells, magic hammer to remove obstacles, and townsfolk. While adding to that with the current three dungeon, master sword, seven dungeon, final fight setup. And created the mythology behind the game such as the three goddesses and the creation of Hyrule. In fact the entire mythology of the game and everything we know about the Triforce and Hylians in Hyrule was firmly established in ALTTP Many of the classic items like the bottles for keeping potions of fairies, the hookshot, and mirror shield. Even the traditional multiple worlds aspect, and Link venturing back and forth between them began with ALTTP. The underworld of LoZ somewhat began this but they are considered to be simply the dungeons of the game these days.

OoT formed exactly how a 3D Zelda game was to be played, in controls and items. While establishing the different tribes of Hyrule and gave an origin to Ganondorf. The rest was merely building upon the world that ALTTP established and gave more details into the origins of people and places. The game definitely took the Hyrule of ALTTP and made it into 3D adding a few more elements. However the gameplay mechanics of OoT have been repeated in every 3D Zelda ever since, especially when it comes to puzzle solving. Puzzles were rare until OoT and have now become a solid aspect of the series, now people expect to see several puzzled per dungeon. OoT also established the different "types" of dungeons that would be a pattern in each game to come after, such as the Forest, fire, water, shadow, etc dungeons. ALTTP did alittle bit of this but never made much of the elements or themes of each dungeon.

So the way I see it, ALTTP created the fundamentals that would be the foundation of a modern Zelda game. The traditional items that are expected to be seen in each game such as master sword, bottles, pendants/spiritual stones/goddess pearls, the concept that some of the monster boss fights that require a strategy, and the story aspects and mythology behind the game that are still used in all sequels today are ALTTP's contributions. While the entire 3D control scheme, puzzle solving, themed dungeons, and various tribes were inventions of OoT. So the world and the items used in it are attributed to ALTTP, while the means of using them and controlling Link in all games that came after are from OoT. I cannot make a solid decision which contributed more since every game after now requires the contributions of both or else they could not be a true Zelda game. Too many important elements would be lost.

Caeda

Keyblade Master
I'd say A Link to the Past. It introduced most of the game mechanics that we see today, like the idea of traveling through two intertwind worlds. It also introduced things that we see alot nowadays, like the Master Sword and the Hookshot, and it also made NPCs more important then before.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
When I read this question first without seeing the options from which you can choose, I thought of non-Zelda games which influenced the series, so my first thought went to Nazo no Murasamejō :)
But if it's about Zelda games defining the series, then I have to go with the following ones:
- LoZ: The Hyrule Fantasy. The first game already stood for a lot for which the series still stands today: Exploration, overworld/dungeon/boss system, different items, sword upgrades, the basic storyline and characters (Link, Zelda, Ganon and the Triforce), music, ....
- aLttP: This game really fleshed out the story and introduced a ton of things still used in most Zelda games today. To name just a few: the "three dungeons/Master Sword/new world/more dungeons/final battle" system, lots of items (bottles, heart pieces, hookshot, collectable fairies, gloves, mirror shield,...), music (Zelda's lullaby, Kakariko Village theme, Get Master Sword theme, Ganon's theme,...) and so on
- OoT: The first 3D engine is still basically the same in MM, WW and TP, with some upgrades.

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
I would go with OoT. Every 3D game in the series has used the same controls and basic plot since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom