• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which game genres do you not like?

I'll go with the generic response of sports games. I realize some people play these games to "capture" the feel of playing as professional athletes, since they can never reach that level themselves, but I'd rather watch or see a game or match in person than deal with hypotheticals. Also, playing the real sport has the benefit of burning calories that sitting on the couch playing games does not.

FPS-I know its my fault for not learning how to play it properly, but I like being able to see where my character is and whats around them and jumping is very frustrating for me.

Sports Games-I don't like playing sports in real life, why do I wanna play them on a videogame? My exceptions are Punch Out and Mega Man Soccer.

Racing Games-They're okay and I'll play em every now and again, but racing just isn't my thing.

Fighters-I don't hate em and I do play them now and then, but they're not my cup of tea.

Dungeon Crawlers-With the exception of Chocobo's Dungeon, I don't like this category.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
1. Sports games. Not because I don't like sports (for example, I love proper football, but I hate the FIFA franchise). The thing with sports games is that I don't think we have advanced enough A.I. to make the game good. Like in FIFA, no matter if you play against Barcelona or some 4th division Norwegian team, the A.I. will play the same. It's like playing the exact same team, but just with different colored shirts.

2. I think we are all saying FPS, but I think many of us are specifically talking about the online component of the FPS genre. I don't mind FPSs, but I abhor online FPSs. In other words, games like F.E.A.R. (that's so long ago!) I like, but games like CoD are utter trash. Games meant to be online shooters first are always crap, but a single-player FPS experience can be quite nice. There's a big difference between the two, almost as much as turn-based and action RPGs. The concept may be related, but the execution is completely different.

3. Simulators. As in, racing sims, flight sims, hunting sims, etc.. I think they're just boring. I don't mean like the Sim-series.

4. Modern Platformers. I love old-school 2D platforming games, like NES-SNES Mario, Metroid, Sonic, Megaman, etc.. But 3D platformers, to me, are just no good. They just don't work for me. I may be one of the few human beings alive who did not like Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy. I just ... there's an intangible element of the 3D platformer that I just hate. Don't get me started on DK64, the worst 3D platformer ever made.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
In general I do not like sports games. However I'll make an exception if it's got a special theme. I don't like american football, baseball, golf, soccer, wrestling, or racing games. But I'll play ones with a special fictional theme. For example, for racing games, I really liked Star Wars Episode I Racer (I wish I could get that working again), or the various Mario Kart games. And while I don't like any kind of football or soccer games, I did like the Harry Potter Quidditch game for the GameCube.

Other than that, the only genre I don't exactly care for is the platformer. I know it used to be the big deal and used to make up the majority of games, but today I just don't care for it that much anymore. Though like sports, I'm not incapable of liking it. I did like the 3D Mario platformers.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I don't really like RPGs, I've only played one in my life so far:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Third_Age
I hated it, I didn't like the concept of getting trapped into battle phases that I had to choose attacks from a list. The game was so linear, and overall I didn't even like it's plot. I only beat three quaters of the game but eventually just gave up on it. I figured that if all RPGs are similar than I probably didn't like the entire genre in general. I never played a RPG since.

Currently @TheRizardon and @Spirit have been trying to show more decent RPGs since I've never given the genre a chance, I took my opinion of one game and applied it to all RPGs. I will give the Genre one last chance.
I actually played that game and loved it. It was more of a childhood "like" however. The game is really flawed. It truly is.
I would recommend Chrono Trigger for a really amazing turn based RPG. You don't have to grind, the story and exploration are truly astounding as well.
I would also recommend Xenoblade(Or Xenoblade X). It isn't turn based, so it has that feel I think that you would like. Also as a Zelda fan to Zelda fan, the exploration is absolutely amazing, as is the story(On Xenoblade's part).

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I don't really like RPGs, I've only played one in my life so far:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Third_Age
I hated it, I didn't like the concept of getting trapped into battle phases that I had to choose attacks from a list. The game was so linear, and overall I didn't even like it's plot. I only beat three quaters of the game but eventually just gave up on it. I figured that if all RPGs are similar than I probably didn't like the entire genre in general. I never played a RPG since.
I actually really liked that game a lot. But it only barely has a plot to speak of. It definitely is not a game you should consider representative of all RPGs. Most are not like that. Well others have similar or identical turn based combat. But most are not as shallow and empty as that game. I'd consider the game a guilty pleasure. You know it's cheesy, you know its plot is ridiculous, you know it's half-baked, but you still have a lot of fun playing it anyway.

Absolutely give RPGs another chance. I have never played Xenoblade but I've heard enough praise for it that I'd say you might want to give it a chance. Also good choices are any of the Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout, or Elder Scrolls games. Those represent the absolute best of western RPGs. For JRPGs you're going to have to ask someone else because I have little experience with them. You are however more likely to run into turn-based combat in JRPGs than WRPGS. Turn based combat was abandoned by WRPGs in the early 2000s while it still exists in some form in some JRPGs. (though franchises like Final Fantasy have been drifting away from it and the next one will not have turn based combat at all).

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Turn-based RPGs. Just can't get into them. They may have amazing stories, but nothing is as boring to me as turn-based battles and grinding and all that. What's weird is that I love tabletop turn-based RPGs. Stuff like Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulu, RuneQuest, etc. A group of friends around a table with a game master, rolling dice, pencil and paper character creation, game mats and drawn maps, and guide books and stuff like that is super fun to me.

I'm not sure why, but when translated into video games it just really loses its appeal to me and becomes really boring.

:coolhecks:

Sports - I'm not good at sports, and I don't like watching sports... so, yeah, there's really very little reason why I would like the genre. (That being said, while I don't like golf, I've actually enjoyed the few golf games I've played.)

Fighters and FPS - Nothing against either. I just don't find either interesting. I'm not very good at them, so that's one factor, but even when I'm not dying constantly, I'm still bored silly.

RTS - I like strategy games overall, but I don't like feeling rushed.

WRPGS - I like linear stories in my RPGs... WRPGs are too open-ended for me.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Most First Person POV games (there are VERY few exceptions to this)

Generic shooters (I'm not generally a ranged person in games so most shooters just bore me)

Games with turn-based combat (I *hate* this kind of combat)

Horror games (I game to have fun, not to be scared)

Most Sports Games (Skating games are an exception to this rule)

"Realistic" Racing Games (make'em colourful and/or fantastic and I'm in, but make'em too realistic and I just don't care for it)

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I share the same dislike/disinterest in Sport games as many have already indicated here. Generally, I don't find sports interesting at all and I enjoy playing them as a video game even less than I enjoy playing them outside. Watching other's play sports games is even more boring to me.

Similarly, I don't really have any interest in FPS games. I don't really like guns at all and do not see any appeal in shooting people for fun, even if it is just in a game. Not that I have an issue with others who do enjoy this kind of game, it just really is not the type of thing I enjoy playing.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
First-person shooters and any kind of sports games. That doesn't mean I don't have exceptions for them...I really like FIFA and Zombie shooters. xD

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
I agree with Dan -- there's a game or two in every genre that someone could enjoy, even if they didn't like that style of gameplay.

I just cannot get into "Walking Simulators" at all. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed The Stanley Parable, Journey and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs so much. I like games with driving narratives, but when I'm just walking around and looking at the same scenery almost all the time looking for the next story bit, I can't get into it. There's no immersion and nothing else going on to break up the tedium of just moving around.

Realistic sports games. I just cannot understand why people like these games so much. Where's the giant hammers? Where's the goofy animations and downright outrageous gameplay? Where's the Democrats vs Republicans playing some B-Ball? BOOM SHAKALAKA? I want more games like Mario Sports games and NBA Jam. The same goes for racing simulators. I'm so used to a more fun and whimsical racing experience a la Mario Kart that customizing real life cars and then racing them (in games like Need For Speed and Forza) is a dull experience to me.

Definitely FPS for me. Not that any of them are horrible games, it's just I get really bad motion sickness whenever I try to play them. Racing games I could take or leave..some of them are kind of fun. :)

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
No matter how much I try, I just can't enjoy the online aspect of RTS games. Every single time I've played, it's been with people who are really uncooperative, who'd really prefer to flame anything and everything over the textchat, than actually try to play the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom