• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Game Evoked the Most Emotions for You?

Big Octo

=^)
Halo Reach

Massive spoilers for those who haven't seen the ending:
After Noble 6 decides to stay behind on reach to defend the Pillar of Autumn, the impact begins. It hits the hardest on the final level, in which he fights to the death, with no other way to escape Reach. This, when topped onto his contributions and loss of previous team members, was a very emotional occurrence... for me at least.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I never knew how much I could actually care for video game characters until Gears of War 3. After experiencing Gears 1 and 2, seeing the world of Sera fall apart bit by bit...It was sad. Then there's the Dom situation. There's no better way to describe what happened to him and his wife other than to just show it to you guys.
[video=youtube_share;_lE03vrC9Rw]http://youtu.be/_lE03vrC9Rw[/video]
Dom wasn't your generic clone of first player type of character. He was just as important as Marcus Fenix. They were friends with two completely different attitudes and personalities. But Gears of War 3 is the one that really did it for me. I couldn't let it go. Since the very beginning of the game, they really let us know how bad these guys have it. They miss their lives and continue to fight in war just for food and other necessary supplies. But again, it was Dom that got to me.
[video=youtube_share;VVGbHOuxVI4]http://youtu.be/VVGbHOuxVI4[/video]
His death was executed so perfectly because it made us Gears fans feel something more. It took me a while to finally absorb what had just happened when I got to that moment. I was Dom throughout the entire trilogy. I was mad to see my character replaced by some random guy who hasn't even earned his stripes yet. From Marcus' reaction, to the music, to Dom's final words... it was perfect. Sad, but perfect. I have to admit, I almost did cry but I didn't. It took me a few days to get over his death. But the end was satisfying and I had to come to the realization that Gear of War 3 may be the very last Gears of War game, timeline wise.

Then there's Red Dead Redemption. You spend the entire game playing as John Marston. A changed man trying to leave his past life which the law won't let him escape. Being blackmailed to kill the members of a former gang he use to roll with that left him to die, he goes on a huge journey. Forced to get his hands dirty and get mixed up with a bunch of unusual characters as well as some respectable figures, John Marston becomes a legend among the land of Mexico and Texas. Doing everything that has been asked of him by the law, he is able to see his family again. After spending time with them and doing some chores around his farm...this happens.
[video=youtube_share;qKafS8zn5TI]http://youtu.be/qKafS8zn5TI[/video]
After spending so much time with this character, through hell and back. You realize just how good of a guy and a badass John Marston was.

R.I.P Dominic Santiago and John Marston

Last edited:

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Final Fantasy VII for me. Especially with a certain scene, but I"m not going to say what it is for spoilers sake. But if you've played it, you should know what I mean.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team. The bit where you just save everyone and you have to leave... sob... If anyone else has beaten this game, they will know what I mean, or... they have a heart of ice...

Time,Darkness and Sky have it as well but not as much as Blue and Red.

It must be SS for me. I cried many times in the game and when Link and Zelda was on the statue of the Goddess and Zelda was bending over him, maaaaan!

G

Gordon17freeman

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the only game I've ever cried at. However Shadow of the colossus came close.

Rare Addict

Site Staff
I hate to be Mr. No Surprises here, but, yeah -- it's Twilight Princess. The ending of that game in particular serves as the most heart-wrenching moment that I've experienced from a work of fiction. Even setting that scene aside, though, TP is full of emotionally-resonant moments, from Midna's Desperate Hour, to rescuing Colin, to Link and Telma's "conversation" in Kakariko Village, to the recovery of Ilia's memory. 'Tis great stuff.

That being said, there are other games out there with similarly powerful moments. Here are a few...

- Conker's Bad Fur Day (that ending -- what?!)
- Gears of War 3 (Dom's death)
- The Halo Quadrilogy (including Reach -- Kat's death and the ending of Halo 3 stand out, especially)
- Mass Effect 2 (the most accomplished that I've felt upon completing a video game)
- Mass Effect 3 (too many endearing characters died for me to list 'em
tongue.gif
)
- BioShock (Atlas' betrayal)

Oh, and Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword get props for being so freakin' whimsical.

Has to be the games from the Zelda series. In Twilight Princess, When Midna was sick, the music that played was really sad, and the scene was sad as well. In Skyward Sword, there are countless times that Link sees Zelda, but they are forced to seperate again due to destiny.

So Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword gave me the most emotions. Which one gave me the most emotions? I'd say Twilight Princess, due to the graphics and monsters (as well as Wolf Link) making all the scenes very scary and hopeless.

When I was a kid, Final Fantasy VII made me cry my little eyes out. When I replay it these days, I can't help but laugh at myself as it feels like a pretty shallow game now. It all feels so cliche and silly, but I guess I really loved those characters. I made them a part of me and I cared about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom