• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Game Do You Think Has the Best Graphics of All Time?

Visuals are an important part to the overall experience to any game, but of course, some games have better visuals than others, so which game do you think has the best visuals out of any game ever?

For me, from an art style stand point, Okami has the best graphics. The Japanese paint style really brings the lush environments to life, especially with the Cherry Blossoms.

But from a technical standpoint, there's no question, Crysis (the first one) has the best graphical presentation. It's amazing that this game was released back in 2007. I even think that this game surpasses Crysis 2 (which is running on a more up-to-date game engine) because of just how dang realistic the game looks, which is achieved through subtle lighting effects. The realism that the game brings really makes you feel like you are in the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The best graphics? I would say undeniably Battlefield 3 on PC on all ultra settings. No, pay no attention to the realism. Just look at the graphics:
[video=youtube;g7dQ8K5DRGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7dQ8K5DRGE[/video]

Absolutely freaking amazing, no?

minecraft...dem graphics are orgasmic to the eye xD

I have to say Rift (an mmo) on the highest setting such a beautiful looking game

[video=youtube;Q1D7YMxPYjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1D7YMxPYjY[/video]

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I must say. OoT/Majora's Mask.
Simply put- I love OoT/MM graphics.

I love the N64, and its graphics. But I think the Zelda N64 titles did exceptionally well, compared to other N64 games I've played.
I don't know, I guess they just work well together.... Or maybe I just show favoritism to MM :lol:

Anyway, the question simply asks of me what game I like the graphics the best, and well, to me, that's MM and OoT. (They essentially share graphics)

MW7

I don't play a whole lot of new games anymore so the game with the best graphics that I've played is probably L.A. Noire.

However, taking technological constraints into consideration, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Banjo Kazooie are two games that had absurdly good graphics for their respective times.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
If by "Best Graphics" we're talking about most ploys, highest definition textures and most frames per animation, etc. then two games I have personally played fit the bill.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, and Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2. Both games have their shortcomings (especially the latter) but for sheer realistic detail of the character models and environments they cannot be beat. Both have hands down the best facial modeling and animation, kinesthetics, poly count and texture definition of any video game I have ever played. Both games play cutscenes using the game engine. That is, the same graphics you see while running around playing are the same as you see in non interactive cutscenes or dialog segments.

For the most creative visual design, that honor goes to the games of Cyan Worlds, namely their popular Myst series and URU multiplayer spinoff titles, as well as Xenoblade Chronicles, which features the most impressive environmental vistas, massive seamless environments and drop dead gorgeous visual design of any game I have ever played.

Points go to Batman: Arkham City for its incredibly detailed and fully realized cityscape, right down to the smallest most minute detail, and unique visual direction.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
TP had some beautiful, but amazing graphics. The graphics were simply amazing. So HD and realistically on a Zelda game. I also think that New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. 2 had also some great graphics. Graphics is the one thing I look on a game. I think these 3 games had the most realistic and amazing graphics.

B

BobbilyWobbily

My favorite graphic style is Okami :D good graphics on less powerful systems impress me more than fancy HD shenanigans to be honest. There are some older SNES games which still look amazing... Megaman 7, megaman X, LTTP, Kirby super star and Yoshi's island all have fantastic art styles which still look lovely today :) also Final fantasy XII onwards, and Portal II :)

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Galaga.

But seriously, I think some of the best graphics I've ever seen were from Battlefield 3, Skyrim (on ultra, loved the Skyrim design) and the Arkham games (because he's BATMAN).

From a technical standpoint, no game... at least not for long. Technological power is something that is constantly evolving. I don't keep on top of which game is the most technically impressive at any given time, and doubt I ever will unless someone else volunteers the information; it's not something I care about.

In terms of style it's a similar story because it's all a matter of taste and preference... unless you want to get into the emotional and artistic merit of specific styles. If we're on that note, then I generally favor stylization as a whole over realism. Realism is nice and I definitely enjoy it sometimes, but I think that stylization is a superior aspect for visuals because it allows for variety in ideas, emotions, and creativity; you can find ideas you can't find in realism and a broader scope of looks and feels, and it just seems like better creative expression and, as a result, a better use of the artform.

Games that use high degrees of stylization still look good many years later. The most technically impressive Super Nintendo games still look beautiful. The Wind Waker's primitive visuals don't look bad, whereas some people were complaining about the graphical quality (not the style) of Twilight Princess the day it came out. Some would say that stylization is the easy way out, but I really don't care. Ease does not equal weakness, and in fact it can often be a sign of efficiency more than anything else. Either way, stylized games are visually timeless, or at least far more so than realistic ones.

As for the actual question, my favorite graphics come from the sprite-based Super Nintendo, PlayStation, and GameBoy Advance games (or really any high-quality sprite-based game). These games often had great colors, interesting style and perspective, and great animation and expression. I still adore sprites and want to see them more often. Animated paintings and digital art to represent the game's characters? Yes please! Muramasa: The Demon Blade on the Wii is one of the most fluid, gorgeous sprite-based games ever made, but going back to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation or even Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island or Super Metroid, you're still looking at a gorgeous, moving, interactive piece of art. All of them are as great to look at as any 3D game, and for me, far better.

It's also technically impressive to be able to communicate the environment and characters properly when working with these tiny images, and even more impressive to make them look good while doing it; every sprite in Muramasa is a high resolution painting scaled down. It's one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen, but going pixel by pixel and achieving high quality that way is no less laudable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom