• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Enemy Ought to be Recognized as a -Blin?

Which are of the -blin variety?

• Goriya

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Goblin

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Camo Goblin

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Goblin, Goriya, and Camo Goblin have been at the tavern, sitting around a table and knocking back a few ice-cold bottles of mind altering... Chateau Romani. Anyway, you've been minding your own business at the bar but the trio have been growing steadily louder. They're arguing about whatever Hyrule's monsters argue about and they seem to be reaching a fever-pitch. Mr. Gorman seems not to notice (although he's certainly just ignoring it) and so stays being the counter shining a shot glass. A minor scuffle sounds to have started up and you can hear all three cretins exchanging fisticuffs and insults. You've just made up your mind to leave when a boomerang smacks you in the back of the head and that infernal beeping starts. You know, the one that lets you know you're low on hearts.

You thrust your fork into what's left of your octorok calamari like it's the Pedestal of Time and spin around on your bar stool wearing Blizzeta's smile. Stomping over to the table where the three are just starting to really get into it, you pull out your quake medallion and roar, "If you didn't have a real issue before, you've got one now!"

Goriya removes his fist from Camo Goblin's middle and disengages. "Crikey mate, we stopped in for a stubby when these two got my shirtfront telling me I'm no kin of theirs. I swung wide with my kylie, she'll be right." You don't know what this means but it sounds like there's some kind of a disagreement as to the relation of the three baddies. Goblin then speaks up. "He's a lying rat! Told me I ain't no -blin myself! Why I gots it right in me name!" Camo Goblin seems perturbed as he launches into an angry tirade. "SLORP GLOOP BLART PLFTH QUEEQU -BLIN SPLIMPF!" He sounds emphatic. All three begin yelling at each other simultaneously once again. You...

...wade into the fray, Sword of Evil's Bane sweeping. - Turn to page 13

...pull up a chair and have a nice chat about the finer points of what makes a -blin a -blin. -Turn to page 472

...don the Mask of Scents and sniff the running man's sandles. - Put down the book and rethink your life choices.

goriya_from_the_oracle_games_2_0_by_captainedwardteague_dewjw8s-pre.png
Goblin-ZG&W.png
LADX_Red_Camo_Goblin_Sprite (1).png

Last edited:
The Goriya is 100% a -blin, they look identical to Moblins in OoS and are simply bigger, grayer Moblins in Z2 promotional artwork.

Goblins are also 100% -blins because of their names.

Camo Goblins are related to the Chu and Vol families in Zelda, not the -blin families.

"Blue Goo Specters were referred to as Blue Camo Goblin in Link's Awakening DX.[2] However, as this contradicts the name given in Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, it is not considered Canon."

I would add that the Hinox from BotW are likely -blin variations.

Reactions: Dio

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Well, creatures of the -blin suffix are generally pig or bulldog looking.
Early Zelda Goriyas always looked more like terriers or badgers, but later more simillar sprites to the Moblins. I'd they are related sometimes, but now always.
And let's just agree that ALL enemies in the Color Dungeon are weird and doesn't make a lot of sense

moblin.pngOoS_Goriya_Sprite.pngOoS_Moblin_Red_Sprite.png
TAoL_Red_Goriya_Artwork.pngTAoL_Red_Moblin_Artwork.png

Just some reference images for the Goriyas vs. Moblins. The Goriya is on the left in each, the Moblin is on the right in each. In the manual artwork from Z2, it looks like Goriyas are just a white variety of blue moblins (much like the way that enemies are tiered in BotW). However, their individual artwork shows a greater contrast. And in Oracle of Seasons, Goriyas and Moblins are identical.

Attachments

• moblin.png
    moblin.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 1

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
But that can't be, because it's called a Hinox, not a Hinoxblin.

The taxonomy guys just need to update their name is all. The flying lemur isn't a lemur and can't fly for instance. So just because Hinox isn't called Hinoxblin doesn't mean it's not a blin. Purah needs to analyse the DNA and get to the truth of the matter.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
The taxonomy guys just need to update their name is all. The flying lemur isn't a lemur and can't fly for instance. So just because Hinox isn't called Hinoxblin doesn't mean it's not a blin. Purah needs to analyse the DNA and get to the truth of the matter.
I mean, you have a point, but the main reason I said what I did was because of the thread title implying that blin is a suffix.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I mean, you have a point, but the main reason I said what I did was because of the thread title implying that blin is a suffix.

I thought of it as what creatures should taxonomically be in the blin family which is why a creature on the list does not have blin in its name.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I thought of it as what creatures should taxonomically be in the blin family which is why a creature on the list does not have blin in its name.
I mean, I'd say that being in the blin family just means that the creature has a name ending in blin. Like Vikze said, they all share some physical characteristics and some non-blins do as well, but at the end of the day a blin is just a creature who's name ends in -blin.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I mean, I'd say that being in the blin family just means that the creature has a name ending in blin. Like Vikze said, they all share some physical characteristics and some non-blins do as well, but at the end of the day a blin is just a creature who's name ends in -blin.
Camo goblins don't share the characteristics though they are blobs more akin to Chu's.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I'm going to say that camo goblins are -blins. And the Blue Goo Spectre looks exactly like the two Camo Goblins but the Dreamer Art Book apparently decided to change his name. Somehow Rito evolved from Zora so...I also suppose Goriya are -blins but over alwaysliked how they were originally depicted as like a shrew. I think Zelda would benefit from Goriya returning as a man-rat instead of yet another -blin. I also think Hinox used to look much more human than beast and I prefer the distinction to his BotW look.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'd agree with the Hinox being able to be classified as a -blin. I think the only real trait that makes a monster a -blin is the pig-like snout/features, based on what we've seen so far in the series. The names may vary, but they all come from the same family of monster types, it seems.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom