• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Which Dungeon Had the Most Atmospheric Theme?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So I think one of the key elements to a dungeon is the atmosphere, as this sets the tone whether it be a puzzling tone, a creepy tone or even a light hearted one. The atmosphere inside a dungeon can make it feel like a more realistic experience, like you are putting yourself in Links position.

Now I think one of the main parts of setting the atmosphere is through the theme, by theme I mean the music theme. We have seen some great music themes in Dungeons throughout the series and this thread isn't to oost your so called favourite but it it to in your opinion whcih theme created the best atmosphere. Rhis could be just generally through a great atmosphere or to suiting the setting.

I am gonna keep it simple here with the Forest Temple theme from Ocarina of Time. Probably a popular choice and this dungeon probably had the best atmosphere to date and I think this was mainly due to the theme. The theme was quite spooky and creepy which really suited the setting as well it sounded quite puzzling and since the Forest Temple is certainly one of the more confusing dungeons it went together rather nicely.

OoT's Shadow, Spirit and Forest temples just oozed atmosphere as far as music goes, they were all very ambiance-y and really made you feel uneasy, these temples beat out anyhting from the rest of the games i've played in the series they were THAT atmospheric for me.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The Shadow Temple from OoT captured atmosphere perfectly. The weezing sounds combined with the freaky visuals to create something so scary that I never beat the game as a child. I simply couldn't bare to go in their. The horror. . . the horror.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
1. Forest Temple- OoT
2. Shadow Temple- OoT
3. Stone Tower Temple-MM (reverse theme fit perfectly)

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
(I've only watched my friend play Ocarina of Time, and Walkthrus on Majora's Mask)
Ocarina of Time: Forest Temple, Shadow Temple.
Majora's Mask: Stone Tower Temple. <-- Favorite temple!
Twilight Princess: City in the Sky, Lakebed Temple, Hyrule Castle. All three levels. Aww, to heck with it. All of them.
Skyward Sword: Skykeep.

I hope that I understood this properly!!

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I'm gonna have to say the Bottom of the Well. That place had the creep factor that not even the Shadow Temple had, in my opinion. I think its just the sheer lack of attack power that Young Link possessed that made me think I could die at any moment. The noises, the music, and Dead Hand, one of the spookiest mini-bosses in Zelda history. It gave me nightmares, I swear. You just walk in and there's a giant Bubble chasing you. the biggest Bubble you have seen or will ever see ever. Plus, the fake ground that sent you into basically the pit of hell, with all of the ReDeads and those freaky hands that reached out of that mysterious green liquid...

Gah, there's so many things to talk about that there's no real focal point. Its all just one big creepy place, and its always stood out in my mind, even to this day. It wasn't the most challenging place, nor did it have many complex puzzles, but the atmosphere was perfect.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Ha! Great question! Easy to answer too since Ocarina's Forest Temple is still one of my favorite locations in the whole series! It's the surrealism. This mysterious haunted ruined mansion deep within the lost woods. Everything about it is so confounding!! Who built it? Why would they build it in a place few dare to tread? Why is it haunted? I have often considered a fan fiction to try and explain all these mysteries but so far nothing I have thought of makes a shred of sense!!

The music lends a lot to its atmosphere, and I love the way that one hallway can twist itself about. The way nature is intertwined with the crumbling walls of this once magnificent structure is a fascinating aesthetic. Nature reclaiming what man built. I like how its facade looks like a mausoleum, then once you venture inside it's this twisting complex of carpeted halls, ornate chambers and bucolic courtyards. All infested with ravenous spiders, mutated plantlife and even the dead.

Other than that, the Snowpeak mansion ruins possess a captivating atmosphere for the same reasons. The whole snowpeak region itself is so beautiful and alien. I feel miles away from civilization at the top of the world on the fringes of a vast frontier. It is disappointing that Snowpeak was such a small, uninvolved region.

I'd say the Forest Temple from TP, the Shadow temple from OOT, and the Ancient Cistern from SS are the most atmospheric for me.

Damn, all these replies are spot on. Though, I'm gonna have to add the Fire Temple from Ocarina of Time.
The Chanting and ambience were just awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom