• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Do You Prefer?

Do you prefer a relatively easy dungeon followed by a frustratingly difficult boss, or a frustratingly difficult dungeon followed by a relatively easy boss?

If it helps, I am thinking of the Skull Woods and Ice Palace Dungeons in Link to the Past, but this could apply to any game.

Djinn

and Tonic
Exploring all over a hard dungeon and figuring out the puzzles therein are a lot more fun to me. But I naturally love exploring and figuring things out anyway. The only thing is I hate it when all I need to do is find a very well hidden door or something just as simple. And I like fighting a boss that is as straightforward as the enemies in the dungeon. I have a sword and a shield, I want to use them on it.

Plus I hate it when it takes at least half an hour just trying to figure out how to hurt the boss, mush less kill it. Or if some weird gimmick must be done first to hurt them. This ruined God of War for me. I just wanted to attack it and be done. Not go through insane button combinations while under a time limit.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Personally, I'm a huge proponent of challenge, so I'd prefer hard challenge and hard boss. Not a boss difficult for hardness' sake, but a boss that is difficult because of its complexity in design, rather than one that is designed to be inherently difficult. I always enjoy a good challenge, because I love a close, heated battle; it gives the illusion of intensity and reality.

Pikacondon

Title.
I prefer easy dungeons because they don't kill my head like Lakebed temple did. I also like hard bosses, because Most bosses seem too simple or easy for me.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
The are both bad case scenarios (worst case would be easy dungeon and easy boss), but if I had to pick one, it would have to be hard dungeon and easy boss. Simply because usually, a person takes longer to complete a dungeon than to complete a boss, so the time the challenge is there is longer. Also, there is more you can do with a dungeon, but with a boss, you are limited in some ways.

Hard dungeon then easy boss. If I just spent three hours trying to find the Big Key, I want to be able to beat the boss with no difficulty whatsoever. Caveat - easy but FUN boss. Like, say, Armagohma from TP. I had great fun smashing her with those statues. ^_^ Also good examples of an easy-fun boss - Jalhalla of Wind Waker or Blizzeta of Twilight Princess. All much fun to beat, but didn't take more than 10 minutes to master.

Hard dungeons are pretty far and few between nowadays. If a crappy gamer like me can make their way through with no walkthrough, it's a pretty easy dungeon. In general, I'd like to see harder, more puzzle-oriented dungeons in modern Zelda games. So this is a win-win situation. Solving the boring boss dilemma and the easy dungeon dilemma all in one strike.

For me its both a hard dungeon and a hard boss.
Nothing more i like than trying to work out a difficult dungeon on my own with no help.
An example of this was the water temple in oot which took me five full days to work out.
But it was so satisfying when i did it.
For me the great bay temple in mm is a prime example of this.
Especially if you are trying to get all the fairies.

linkman8

True and Noble
The best I'd say is a balanced dungeon, but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd much rather have a decently easy dungeon followed by an extremely difficult boss. The Water Temple of OOT is a good example of Hard Dungeon, Easy Boss, and I don't particularly like that.

Din Akera

Sniper
Do you prefer a relatively easy dungeon followed by a frustratingly difficult boss, or a frustratingly difficult dungeon followed by a relatively easy boss?

Neither. Just give me da hard stuffs! lol.
I enjoy a challenge. It makes me feel like I have accomplished something when i do complete it. I would much rather have to pay attention of a bosses patterns to be able to beet them. That being you are killed several times and you have to learn each stage and what to do for each stage over just flailing and easily dropping the boss. My best examples of this are Gohma and Agerock (TP).

At the same time, i most enjoy a temple that challenges my thinking skills and enemies that I have to calculate movements to defeat. Mini-bosses especially. But temples full of puzzles and difficult thinking processes such as Snowhead, most water temples, and the twilight realm build up the suspense of the coming battle.

I love fighting bosses regardless of difficulty. But I'm not much for standing in one room for 30 minutes trying to figure out what to do, so I suppose easy dungeon followed by hard boss.

Zelda_Duh

Hyrule's Princess
Easy dungeon, hard boss. I like it when bosses are challenging, it gives me something to do. But when it comes to hard dungeons I get mad when I keep going into the same rooms trying to figure out what to do

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Since I can only pick from those two choices, I'd have to go with a hard dungeon and then an easy boss. To me, it's all about the dungeon and then to a much lesser extent, the boss. The dungeon takes longer and the boss is just there to top it all off.

For example... In Twilight Princess, I thought that the City in the Sky was the most annoying dungeon any Zelda game ever had. The boss, Argorok, however, was extremely easy and was also fun. :D But on the other hand, Twilight Palace was incredibly easy and had a somewhat challenging boss. Same with Hyrule Castle. :\

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
It really depends on the game, especially if it is 2D or 3D. If the dungeon is long and hard it really annoys me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom