• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Do You Prefer? Handheld or Console?

Handheld or Console?

• Handhelds (i.e. DS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consoles (i.e. Wii)

• Both equally!

• Total voters
Which type of gaming do you like better? Handheld gaming, like Gameboys and DS, or console gaming like Wii or Xbox? For me, it's a close draw. Handhelds are better for somethings like portability, and console gaming is better for stuff like online. I have to give the slight edge to handhelds, however, because what a small device like that can do is fantastic. I love my 3DS, and the portability of handhelds is great.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Really it just depends. I find console based games to be better than handheld games, though that is starting to change with better handhelds (PS Vita, 3DS) being able to handle console-length and console-quality games, examples being Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Metal Gear Solid 3D, etc.

Conor

the over analysing guy
Tough call, I like both very much, but at heart, at my very roots, I'm a handheld gamer, fire red, SMW and aLttP ports, Yoshi's island port, minish cap, smb 3 port, that's my childhood right there my friends.

Wow, I think that I have to go with handheld. I have much better memories of handheld games rather than console games. I mean, who doesn't love the GB, GBC, GBA, DS, or 3DS?

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Personally I like both equally. Handhelds are great for portability, but I also enjoy the console games, as well. I think that there is a good variety of games for both, so each is pretty different, and caters to different aspects of gaming.

Kybyrian

I've always enjoyed being able to sit at home and play the games that I love. It's nice on the move and everything... but it's really not the best situation. I don't like being in public and pulling out my SP or 3DS or anything like that. They're kind of tedious to play and really don't support long playing hours. My neck starts to hurt bending it and looking down at the system for hours at a time... and it's just something I would rather not do. Now that I drive I don't actually get a chance to play it in a car or anything, either. When I'm able to it really bothers my neck having to crane it down to the handheld for so long.

It just seems so much more comfortable being able to sit at home and play on the big screen, you know? It always seemed like such a better situation than playing on the go... and when I would play the handheld systems I usually did it at home, anyway. The added portability really isn't much to me, and they bug me a lot more than sitting in the comfort of your room with an actual controller being able to play easily for hours on end.

Djinn

and Tonic
I suppose I would have to say console even though I like the idea behind handhelds. I like a console controller so much more than almost every handheld out there plus I like playing on a large screen. Especially when it comes to something like an RPG. I don't mind most handheld games but definitely not an RPG. Handelds in my opinion work best when they are quick pick up and play for a minute then turn them off style of game.

Handelds seem like a great idea in theory, just bring out a small portable console and play it whenever you have the time no matter where you are. Only I never do that, even when I do have one on me. I almost never think to take out any handheld and actually play it in public at all. I'll play with my phone on occasion, and I have a few games on my ipod as well. But I very rarely play any games on it for more than maybe five minutes at the most. I often do not have many chances to play anything when out anyway, I am usually the one driving on a trip and I do not ride buses or trains often so I am not in a position where I have a lot of time to just waste while out to play a game. I normally just end up playing them at home, which in that case I would rather play a console on my tv.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I really enjoy having games to play on the go but there aren't a whole lot of handheld games that I really LOVE like I do console games.

Nayrulinkx

Japanese Wannabe
I like the handhelds, now. I liked console before, because of the sheer length and what can be in the console's big hard drive. But know the 3DS's cartridges can hold 8 GB, I think the games will match the console version (If there is one).

For me its definitely consoles.
One thing i do not like about handhelds is the screen is so very small.
And another thing is the fact handhelds use batteries even though they last a long time they need charged which im not a fan of.

Of course handhelds have their good points like being able to play them anywhere anytime.
They also take up very little space.

Last edited:
S

Snake

I have to say consoles. When looking at the large overview, comparing the two types of gaming, the consoles have more games that I like compared to handhelds. I also like playing while looking at a larger screen, as it's better for my eyes :P. Also, one can play longer while playing a console rather than a handheld, and I always hate the feeling I get when I get the battery low warning.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
It depends on which consoles and which handhelds. Anyone that knows me knows I don't much care for the Wii line of consoles. So if you mean of just Nintendo stuff, then yeah I prefer handhelds. But if you include all consoles and handhelds, then I prefer consoles. In my view, the PS3 and 360 are far superior to the Wii. I've got my reasons. Some heath problems that make the motion controls inaccessible to me, Nintendo's bad attitude towards third party developers, Nintendo's insistence on being different from everyone else despite what their consumers want, things like that. But Nintendo is still dominating in handhelds. They're still not very nice to third parties on it, but it's easier for them to make a profit because Nintendo's cornered the market on handheld gaming devices so it balances out Nintendo's bad attitude. (This attitude I'm talking about is the same reason it had a problem with third parties in the N64 and GCN, not just the Wii.)

I do like computer gaming a lot. But it's got one flaw that consoles win at every single time. Stability. Because of the wide array of possible computer setups, they can't develop a game that would work for all of them. But a developer has to make it stable when they know exactly what they're working with, in the case of a console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom