• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which do you like? Hookshot or Clawshot.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
So there was that guy Re-D3ad on here a month or so ago, and he had that series which is better but that went bad, so he started which do you like. Anyway, he's gone inactive and I was playing OoT and got the hookshot, so I just decided to pick up this series to ask: Do you like the Hookshot or Clawshot in Zelda games better?

I consider the hookshot and clawshot to essentially be the same item; the one that is differentiable of this item family is the grappling hook. But to nitpick, I think I prefer the incarnations of the item that call it the hookshot (A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker), over the incarnations that call it the clawshot (Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword). The key difference being the offensive applications of the item.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Obviously the best one is the switch hook :right:

But in all seriousness, it really depends on what you mean.

In concept, the claw shot is easily the better of the two. The fact that you can cling on to what you hit for an extended period of time (as well as adjust the length of the chain you’re hanging from in TP) on paper makes it applicable to more situations.

however, in practice the clawshot has been nothing but situational. At no point in either TP or SS was there a time where the clawshot was the more practical of two options, instead only being used when the game forced you to. Now to be fair I don’t think the clawshots are inherently at fault here, as both games (TP especially) suffered from this design philosophy as a whole, but that doesn’t change the fact that the clawshots haven’t been utilized well.

The vanilla hookshot, on the other hand, has much more utility in its games (LttP, LA, OoT, and MM in particular). Not only is it used for puzzle solving and light platforming, but it’s also an incredibly viable mid-range weapon that is in some cases better than a bow.

In short: I like the idea of the clawshot more, but the hookshot is better in practice.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Personally I prefer the spiky one, the Hookshot! It looks better to me with a mighty arrowhead on the end of the chain instead of a claw-machine arm. It also feels more satisfying to shoot it at enemies

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Double Clawshots in SS were extremely fun to use and looked awesome to use. The stuff in the Lanayru Sand Sea and beyond using them was really cool, and as bad as TP's item usage was, the City in the Sky actually used the double clawshots well for traversal. I never found the hookshot all that exciting, at least not to the same degree, and I never bothered to use it in combat as it felt really clunky to do that for me.

MW7

I like the clawshots a little more. The hookshot was more useful for combat, but there's no reason that they can't add those aspects of the hookshot to the clawshots in future games. I think the ability to hang from things makes it more enjoyable.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I prefer the clawshots for both function and design. Being able to move from one grapple point to another without having to land on a platform was really fun in TP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom