• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I never read the Harry Potter series; I only ever watched the movies. But seeing as I'm writing a story about Sorcerers and my girlfriend's never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, I'm readin' 'em for a better background for my writing and a better understanding before I watch all of 'em again with her. So I'm trying to read them faster than I watch 'em and I am currently about a third of the way though the fifth book (which also happens to be the biggest and it's intimidating 'cause I've never really sat down and read a book in my life before all of this xD).

I finished reading Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee the other night. A lot of people seem to be slightly dissatisfied with the read, but to me it's one of the best books I've ever read, because its words ring so much truer than the all too perfect world set forth in To Kill a Mockingbird. In this sense, the two books are a beautiful way to contrast the acceptance of reality in adulthood with the loss of childhood idealism.

There admittedly isn't a lot of plot to the novel, but the questions it raises regarding the divide between generations and social classes, the relationship between father and daughter, and the perturbed view of the meaning of the Civil War in the South still ring true to this day. It's a deep philosophical approach that invites readers to question the foundations of interpersonal relationships and human morality.

My only complaints about the book are its tendency to occasionally resort to dull historical flashbacks, which is ironic considering the flashbacks about the main character's life are superbly written in comparison. Additionally, the few allusions to its prequel are sparse and lacking in detail. This, however, is understandable due to this second book being published in its unedited form.

There have been few books I've ever been so emotionally invested in. I cannot recommend this read enough.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Going to start getting deep into reading theoretical physics and futurism books. Two of my favorite topics.

Right now I'm reading "Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe", by Michio Kaku. It's a general theoretical physics book that focuses on the history of particle physics, unified field theories, and string theory, arguing that string theory is probably correct.

Dan

Just finished the Silmarillion.

Not sure what to do with my life now =(
Read fan fiction written by tumblr inhabitants based on Toiken's works. I'm actually currently reading Lady of the rings: breaking dawn. It's a cool politically correct version of Lord of the rings but with a cool Twilight crossover, I think you'll like it.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
"Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension", by Michio Kaku. Beyond Einstein and this book are companion volumes, with this one focusing more on the spacial and temporal implications of the ideas coming out of modern theoretical physics, including string theory.

Ball Four - Jim Bouton

Jim Bouton was a major league pitcher and this book, written in 1970, is his personal chronicles of the 1969 season as well as some of his earlier experiences. This book was massively controversial at the time as it revealed a player culture of sex, drugs and cheating. So controversial it basically got him black listed from MLB. It's among the most famous books written in the 20th century partly due to it shattering the illusions the MLB built up about it's players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom