• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Skittles

Rainbows!
Les Miserables...
still....
and I've only just met the main character...
I'm beginning to lose hope
It's a bit like a bottomless pit that just doesn't end
I will be trapped reading this book forever

The first part is like that...what I recommend for this book to get through it is learn to skim. There are some parts later on that you'll want to skim over especially the rather boring part about going to school in a convent. One of the things about reading Les Mis (last year) taught me was how to skim it and other sources to get to the really good and interesting stuff. You have to forgive Hugo, he was in a tough pickle being paid by the word and not by how many books he sold. If he was paid like most authors are today, Les Mis probably wouldn't be so long...

There are some exciting things in there though, but you just shouldn't give up. I admit it's a challenging read...but when I read it I was working on my first major research project and a lot of other higher level upperclassmen things for my Major. YOU CAN DO IT. ;)

Anyway, I'm reading the forums and supposedly reading Lord of the Rings again for the something-eth time. Such a dork, here...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well, I finished the Hobbit. I loved it overall, except the way Smaug was killed was incredibly disappointing. If there's anything in the upcoming movie I want changed, it's that.

The book I am currently reading is a book called "101 Marvelous Money Making Ideas For Kids." I got this book when I was little, and read through it. Now, I don't read a lot, and this book was just sitting in my closet, so I decided to take it out. I'm not reading for the tips inside, seeing as I already have a job, I just read it for the hell of it, and to see how the world has changed since it was written (in 1999). Please don't ask, I was really bored last night :P

Claire

The Geekette
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It's the second novel in her MaddAddam trilogy. It's sci-fi describing the near end to all humanity brought on by a desire to interfere with nature. If you like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, you'll like this. It maintains the same theme of what "bad" scientists are capable of when they attempt to harness natural forces. Similar to Frankenstein, there is creature creation, so you maintain that the "bad" scientist (Victor -> Crake) who is guilty of playing 'God.' You all know that usually means there is something grave as a result for such actions. It's worth checking out though, it's easy to read and modern. The third novel will be released later this year. For anyone who is interested, the first book is titled Oryx and Crake.

After finishing my maths exam today, I finally got to start reading The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa. I've been waiting to read this ever since I finished The Immortal Rules last August, so I'm really content. I only just finished the third chapter, but I look forward to reading it over summer break once it starts 9:13 AM on Tuesday. <3

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
The Diary of a Young Girl: Anne Frank

Edited by Otto H. Frank (her father), and Mirkam Pressler

It shines some new light of life during the Holocaust, and I've very interested in it. Sadly, my friend spoiled the whole book, and I don't even feel like reading it anymore :(

Necrosope by Brian Lumley.

Seems to be mostly horror although I think it dwells a lot on characterization too. People just call anything with grisly stuff horror when it comes to books, I guess. :P Very twisted story about psychics, necromancers and vampires. I'm only partway into the first book but I intend to go and read all three of the original trilogy. Maybe the later books sometime down the road.

ILU

i luv u
Art of War. For the 4th or 5th time. It's kinda amazing how well it applies to common life today.

The lost Land of Tamarind by Nadia Aguiar - Going through my second time. I'll give it a 10/10. It's about three kids and their marine biologist parents who get caught in a storm and thrown off coarse somewhere in Bermuda during a storm(the parents get thrown overboard) and eventually come across an uncharted island. On a search for their parents the kids meet many dangers as well as new friends.

I, Alex Cross by James Patterson

and Naked Prey by John Sandford
The other two I just started on so I'm not too sure yet.

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, and here is a little excerpt

THE HALL OF PUNISHMENTS

AT THE door of the new hall, Lord Gregory signaled one of the busy Pages.

"Bring Princess Lizetta here," he said raising his voice slightly. "Sit back on your heels, Beauty, with your hands behind your neck and observe all that's presented for your benefit."

The unfortunate Princess Lizetta was apparently just being brought in, and Beauty saw at once that she was gagged but rather simply so. A small cylinder covered with leather and shaped like a dog's bone was forced into her mouth and back so far between her teeth that it was rather like a bit, and apparently she could not have dislodged it with her tongue if she had wanted to.

She was crying angrily and kicking, as the Page who held her hands behind her back gestured for yet another Page to take her about the waist and carry her to Lord Gregory.

She was placed on her knees right before Beauty, her black hair falling down in front of her face, her dark breasts heaving.

"Petulance, my Lord," said the Page rather wearily. "She was to be quarry in the Hunt in the Maze when she refused to give her Lords and Ladies good sport. The usual nonsense."

Princess Lizetta tossed her black hair over her shoulder and let out a little contemptuous growl from behind the gag, which astonished Beauty.

"Ah, and impudence as well," said Lord Gregory. He reached down and lifted her chin. Her dark eyes evinced nothing but anger as she looked up at him and she turned her head so sharply that she was soon free of him.

The page gave her several hard spanks but she showed no contrition. Her little buttocks looked hard in fact.

"Double her, for punishment," said Lord Gregory. "I think a real punishment is in order."

Princess Lizetta gave several high-pitched groans. They seemed both anger and protest. She seemed not to have bargained for this, and as she was carried ahead of Beauty and Lord Gregory into the Hall of Punishments, the Pages quickly affixed leather cuffs to her wrists and ankles, each cuff with a heavy metal hook imbedded in it.

Now she was raised, struggling, to a great low beam that spanned the room, her wrists hung from a hook above her head and then her legs brought straight up in front of her so that her ankles were fixed to the same hook. She was, in fact, bent double. Her head was then forced between her calves, so that Beauty could see her face clearly. And a leather strap was bound around her, securely pressing her upturned legs against her torso.

But the most cruel and frightening aspect of it for Beauty was the exposure of the Princess's secret parts, for she was hung so that anyone could see her full sex with its pink lips and its dark hair even to the tiny brown orifice between her buttocks. And all this just below her scarlet face. Beauty could imagine no worse exposure and she looked down timidly, glancing up again and again to the girl whose suspended body moved slightly as with a current in the air, the leather links at her wrists and ankles creaking.

But she was not alone. Beauty realized that only yards away, other doubled bodies hung from the same beam just as helplessly.

Princess Lizetta's face remained colored with rage, but she had quieted somewhat and now she turned and tried to conceal her expression against her leg, but the Page nearby adjusted her face forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom