• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Finished reading the original Dracula. I liked it a lot, once you get a couple chapters in and you see some supernatural stuff happening it gets really interesting. The old-timey English can be tough to understand but once you get used to it it isn't that bad.
I started that last year but then we moved and I lost it, I have found it since but I'll probably just restart at this point if I pick it back up

I finished reading Jordan Peterson's Beyond Order the other day. It's the companion book to 12 Rules for Life so you should read that book first. I found the rules in this second book to be deeper like finding humility in your suffering and trying to create something positive for others even if you are in a dark place yourself. Some of the rules from the previous book are expanded upon, such as not simply making one's room clean but also beautiful, as a means to slowly start to build up towards larger goals of self-improvement. There are a lot of Biblical and mythological references once again as well. I highly recommend the read.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I finally got around to finishing Ask Iwata. I really enjoyed learning about Iwata’s journey and philosophy. I think there are some great pieces of advice on communication and being an effective leader to take from him.

I also recently started reading Tim Cook. The genius who took Apple to the next level. I am still less than half way through but one thing I have found particularly interesting so far is regarding how his upbringing and experiences in the south (USA) growing up have influenced his values. It’s also interesting to get to understand the difference in style of leadership between Steve Jobs and himself.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
The Catcher in the Rye. About a boy Holden Caufield who got kicked out from his school and spends time in New York

I honestly really like his character. You’re not supposed to side with him and it perfectly shows what teenage life is like at that age, speaking as a teenager. He’s an unlikable but really well written character

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Recently read Maps of Meaning, Little Women, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Little House on the Prairie, and Brave New World. I tried to start The Gulag Archipelago but realized it's... Really long. Like 600 pages or some such nonsense. I'll need to take a breath before starting it, it's touted as kind of the definitive treatise on the absolute depraved misanthropy and evil of Marxism so I probably need to read it. Still...that's a long stinkin' book. What's the longest book you've ever read? My longest is The Bible but Maps of Meaning is a 40 hours audio book and it is DENSE!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Well, a few books actually.
  1. What Does This Button Do? by Bruce Dickinson. Wonderful autobiography with Bruce's signature wit and introspection. Funny, and enlightening.
  2. Rereading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Classic of sci-fi.
  3. Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson. Pretty sure I could club someone to death with this codex...
  4. Hunger of the Gods by John Gwynne. If Vikings were in a fantasy story like the Witcher.
  5. Rereading the entirety of Tolkien's Legendarium, because I'm a huge Tolkien nerd that owns almost all of Tolkien's works, except Beren and Luthien. Been on the hunt for that one, actually, sucker for a good romance.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Finished reading the original Dracula. I liked it a lot, once you get a couple chapters in and you see some supernatural stuff happening it gets really interesting. The old-timey English can be tough to understand but once you get used to it it isn't that bad.
That is a great book, a classic of horror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom