• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead-George.
An Eskimo woman runs away from her abusive husband to meet her pen pal in San Francisco. She gets lost on the way and has to befriend a wolf pack to survive.
Really enjoying it.
(That synopsis is mine btw)

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I recently started reading through James Heisig's Remembering the Kanji with the goal of speeding up my kanji recognition and writing ability. The order of the kanji shown in this book is very different to what I have seen before but it is effective so far (I am writing out physical flash cards and trying to get through 25 each day while reviewing the ones I learned previously at fairly frequent intervals - particularly if I recently made a mistake).

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Karate-Do Kyohan: the Master Text. Reviewing my old forms from when I was a karate student as well as getting some insight from Funakoshi. He was a very wise, measured individual, and his autobiography is also a great read.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Currently reading Lie With Me by Philippe Besson.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40539136-lie-with-me?from_search=true&from_srp=HUgDacERlI&qid=1 said:
The award-winning, bestselling French novel by Philippe Besson about an affair between two teenage boys in 1984 France[...]

We drive at high speed along back roads, through woods, vineyards, and oat fields. The bike smells like gasoline and makes a lot of noise, and sometimes I’m frightened when the wheels slip on the gravel on the dirt road, but the only thing that matters is that I’m holding on to him, that I’m holding on to him outside.

Just outside a hotel in Bordeaux, Philippe chances upon a young man who bears a striking resemblance to his first love. What follows is a look back at the relationship he’s never forgotten, a hidden affair with a gorgeous boy named Thomas during their last year of high school. Without ever acknowledging they know each other in the halls, they steal time to meet in secret, carrying on a passionate, world-altering affair.

[...]Besson’s powerfully moving coming-of-age story captures the eroticism and tenderness of first love—and the heartbreaking passage of time.
Definitely one of the better books I’ve read lately in this genre. I also appreciate that this is geared towards an adult audience and at the point where I’m at doesn’t appear to be preachy in the same way YA novels are. It also doesn’t have an annoying humorous tone to it also present in most YA novels in this genre which I prefer.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
All school assignments:
Frankenstein.
Uncle Tom's Cabin.
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Among other things, but dang I need some less dark reads.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
All school assignments:
Frankenstein.
Uncle Tom's Cabin.
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Among other things, but dang I need some less dark reads.
Why do you only read for school assignments?

I'm currently reading Count of Monte Cristo (for fun :D), and Legend of the Galactic Heroes 5 (Sci-Fi book)

I recently finished reading 1984 by George Orwell (for fun :D), Animal Farm by George Orwell (for fun :D) Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1-4, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (for fun :D) and Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom