• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Lanky Kong

borf
Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis. Really cool book about the history of the RHCP, but also a sad look into his heroin addiction. I'd recommend this to any music fan.

I'm about halfway through A Storm of Swords. I'm finally reading the ASOIAF books after enjoying Game of Thrones so much!
Ahh you still have a way to go, but just be glad you're not one of us who's been waiting for Winds of Winter for AGES now!

I'm reading The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin at the moment. Trippy 70s (I think) sci-fi, has themes of science, politics, sexuality and morality. Would recommend

Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve
How is this? I read Philip Reeve's Hungry City Chronicles and throughly enjoyed them. I haven't read his other books yet though.

I'm currently reading The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. Absolutely fantastic. It's a pulp fiction sci fi novel about knights in Medieval England who are attacked by aliens, but end up defeating the aliens and taking their spaceship. What do they decide to do with it? Well, use it to destroy France, of course. It's very funny and well written.

"Warbreaker" by Brandon Sanderson. Man, I love this book. I love most of the stuff he's written, but Warbreaker- its themes, magic system, characters, all of it- holds a special place in my heart. I originally read it (or listened, whatever) through Audible, and the narrator was fantastic. I loved the book so much I went out and bought the official Radio Drama from Graphic Audio (which is sort of like theater but with only sounds, so you've got actors and sound effects and background music and stuff). I'm loving it so far.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I finished The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. It was really good and I'm looking forward to reading more Stephen King in the future.

Since finishing it I have read The Girl in the Flammable Skirt by Aimee Bender. It's a bit of a mixed bag as far as short story collections go. Some stories are great, others fail to land. Worth a look for any fans of magical realism.

I also read The Man Who Wouldn't Get Up and Other Stories by David Lodge which was a nice little collection. Some great shorts in there.

I read Under The Skin by Michael Faber which was a great novel. Really drew me in because I never quite knew what to expect. I plan to watch the film this week (though I've been told it's very different to the book).

Today I finished For Esmé - With Love and Squalor by J. D. Salinger. It was a decent collection but I was a little underwhelmed. I think it's a case of another book (or more accurately, another writer) being oversold to me. It was worth a read, but nothing special.

Next on my pile is Dracula's Brood, another vampire collection edited by Richard Dalby. I like vampires :)

I read Under The Skin by Michael Faber which was a great novel. Really drew me in because I never quite knew what to expect. I plan to watch the film this week (though I've been told it's very different to the book)
Wow, didn't even know that was a book. Absolutely loved the film, thought it was one of the my favourites of this decade so far so I'll have to check that out.

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. Pretty good so far. Starts a tad slow but gets interesting about a third of the way through. He takes a very humanities-oriented approach to science fiction, something I normally wouldn't like if it weren't C.S. Lewis.

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. Pretty good so far. Starts a tad slow but gets interesting about a third of the way through. He takes a very humanities-oriented approach to science fiction, something I normally wouldn't like if it weren't C.S. Lewis.
Love those books. Please read through Perelandra, even if you end up not loving Out of Silent Planet. Perelandra is one of Lewis's best works in my opinion and is leagues better than Planet.

Din.Farore.Nayru

Extraordinary Machine
Still working on ASOIAF but also started the Ouran manga series. A local comic book store happened to have the box set and a 40% off sale on manga - it seemed like fate to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom