• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Been reading a bunch the last couple of weeks, including (but not limited to):

The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom
The Magicians by Lev Grossman
The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury
Counting Stars by Keris Stainton
Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne
Career of Evil by Robert 'I'm Totally Not JK Rowling' Galbraith

Currently I'm reading The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge.

All of these books have been pretty good. Pretty good indeed.

City and the Stars by the one and only Arthur C Clarke

22388041._UY200_.jpg

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Right now, I'm reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón on a friend's recommendation. I'm also reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling intermittently. It feels like I've been reading My Immortal with proper grammar and punctuation. I just... I can't take it seriously.

I've also ordered a few books: Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue by John McWhorter; She-Wolves by Helen Castor; The Art of Language Invention by David J. Peterson; The Fifth Season, Obelisk Gate and The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. I'll be kept busy for a bit when they get here.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I will be reading Breakfast At Tiffany's by Truman Capote. I've read the novella had quite a few things changed for its film adaptation due to the Hays Code, so looking forward to seeing what those were.

Ambient Nomad

Home Starmy
The Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson. I've been reading several of his books lately with a friend, and we're both having a great time.

Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson

It's not quite effective. I mean sure, a page and a half diversion about orbital mechanics is potentially interesting, but putting something in depth and technical in the middle of eg. a tense situation where a protagonist is trapped in a space capsule that's just been punctured does not do what Stephenson wants it to do. The subject is too detailed to allow the tension of the character's situation (about the first time a character had actually been in a tense situation, odd given that the world had just ended) to extend through the diversion, and makes your eyes want to skip over to where the tense situation, itself not much longer than the diversion in the middle of it, gets resolved.

I haven't read a Stephenson book since I think Cryptonomicon, and I'm not sure I'm going to fill in the gaps based on this one.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The last couple of weeks I've read a few books including:

Giant Thief by David Tallerman
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
Working For The Devil by Lilith Saintcrow
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
Midnight Sun by Jo Nesbo
Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw
Savages by Don Winslow

Currently reading The Bone Dragon by Alexia Casale.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Finished The Bone Dragon (it's good) and then read The Last of the Spirits by Chris Priestly. It's based on A Christmas Carol by Dickens and is a kids book. It's good, but I would have gotten a lot more out of it if I were younger. It did remind me a lot about A Muppets Christmas Carol, though, so I had fun.

Started The Killing Lessons by Saul Black. Much to my dismay, it's a work of fiction, so my education is on hold for now. Mrs Webster across the road gets to live another day.

ToxicWolf1132

Super High School Level Despair
I just finished reading Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, and oh dear god did that suck.
It's basically Back to the Future, Harry Potter edition. Rather, it's like the ending chapters of Book 3 with the time turner, except if the characters kept screwing up each time they went back in time, so they go back in time to fix their mistakes, except then they screw up again, and it gets to the point where you wonder why the hell these morons have a time turner. I was disappointed. Also, the main villain sucks

Currently I'm reading 13 Reasons Why, which is about a girl who committed suicide because of 13 people. Before she died however, she created mixtapes explaining the stories of the people and why they caused her to commit suicide. She tells the 13 people to pass the tapes along among each other, or else a second set of the tapes will go to the police to incriminate them, and the story takes place from the view point of one of the 13 people getting the mixtapes, listening to the stories and trying to figure out more about this girl, and why he's on the tapes. It's pretty good, though I wouldn't recommend if you don't like subject matter that can be kinda dark.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I am rereading 1984 as well as reading The Patriot Act

That's some hard core reading.

I just (trying to >.>) started Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils, book two in a Forgotten Realms series by Erin Evans.

What's weird is the first book in the series is out of print. Released in 2011, it won't sell for less than 70$ (the cheapest I've seen it on amazon). I wish I knew what accounts for this. I even dealt with a used book seller who couldn't fathom.

I really wish Wizards of the Coast would stop being bonkers and print it.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Have your read the Legend of Drizzit books or the Cleric Quintet?

I've read the Icewind Dale trilogy and it is good.

I tried reading the Dark Elf trilogy but got bored somewhere around book two(ish) and kinda stopped reading. Actually that was what I was reading before I picked up this one. Reading the whole Legend of Drizzit series is definitely still on my to-do list so I'll probably get on with Legacy of the Drow onward some day but I'm a slow reader and this series has freaking 30 books in it so if anyone's got any suggestions on which ones to read first I'm all ears :)

No I have not read Cleric Quintet. Heard of it but don't know anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom