• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where's the ShoutBox!?!?

XskywardX

Shadow Instruments
Hey all, Dlane_skyward here, and I just wanted to know where the hell SB is!? For some reason, for the past couple of days, it just hasn't been there! :O
Thoughts?????

Thanks,
Dlane

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It was probably removed due to the problems the site has been experiencing, whether or not the Sb is the cause of said problems is something I can't answer. However, I heard it was only a temporary removal I'm sure it will be back in a couple of days or so.

Clank

Hmm
Basically(from what I can tell, and this may be wrong), the database server is occasionally being overloaded with connections, thus causing it to reject new connections, when this happens you get a database error on the forums(there are other reasons for a database error, but this is what appears to be the case)

The shoutbox is being blamed because with the nature of the software it opens a lot of database connections, due to this it aggravates the problem.

There are only a few solutions to this problem, either fix the SB so that it properly closes the connections(assuming that it isn't, I mean might be, idk), edit a config file that they may or may not have access to, depending on the host(which they could always upgrade to a host that allowed it), or just simply ditch the SB and call it good.

Now, that whole post was based off of the limited knowledge that I have, and there are probably details that I am not privy to that would change the situation, but that is my outlook.

So, tl:dr, trust the guys in charge(aka Mases and Locke), surely they can figure it out.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Ya, everybody already answered.

Though, honestly, I don't see the problem with the lack of a SB. Forums are supposed to be for discussing topics and threads, yet a lot of people come here, make some spam posts, and spend all the time in the SB. Having no SB should theoretically increase discussion within the various threads that can be found within the many sections and subsections of this forum. Since I got back from the summer, my activity has been incredibly low, but it increased yesterday with the temporary removal of the SB.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo

Though, honestly, I don't see the problem with the lack of a SB. Forums are supposed to be for discussing topics and threads, yet a lot of people come here, make some spam posts, and spend all the time in the SB. Having no SB should theoretically increase discussion within the various threads that can be found within the many sections and subsections of this forum. Since I got back from the summer, my activity has been incredibly low, but it increased yesterday with the temporary removal of the SB.
However, activity dramatically decreased during the absence of the SB over the summer. I see what you mean but a forum is also a community, the SB brings the community together, people wouldn't have made acquaintances without it - people fail to realise this and target the shoutbox, but those same people use the SB, contradictory?

Anyway, I think the SB encourages activity rather than the former.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
However, activity dramatically decreased during the absence of the SB over the summer. I see what you mean but a forum is also a community, the SB brings the community together, people wouldn't have made acquaintances without it - people fail to realise this and target the shoutbox, but those same people use the SB, contradictory?

I agree with this. The SB shows when new threads and posts are made, so if something catches your eye, you can easily go to it and post. Plus people enjoy hanging out and having conversations in it. It seems to do a lot of good in my opinion. I think it's something to be kept around.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
SB has been removed because it causes strain on DGN's servers. The main host of DGN isn't that great - they suffer downtime in order to workout kinks, just like anyone else would. Be patient; it will return eventually.

The lack of an SB is not bad at all. We still have Blogs, Groups, and of course the main forum threads. If you really need an IM service, I suggest you look into Skype. It's superior to the SB in that it does not often go down at short notice. However, there is a distinct lack of rules, so gird yourself well should you walk into No Man's Land Skype's many group chats.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection

I think this is a prime example of the importance of the chatbox. I have been to Pokécommunity, Bulbagarden, Smashboards, Runouw, and Sonic Stadium, and none of these sites are as sociable and as involved as this one is (that MAY be an exaggeration). The chatbox really puts people together in a nice, if not chaotic, social environment. It also gives new users an incentive to post, so then they can earn thier right to the chatbox and chat with the active users.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Is there a specific skype chat made for the general populus of Selda Dungeon? It seems like something that would have already been established, but I don't know for sure.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I seem to be more active around the forums without the SB (as Mellow said), however I can see where it can both help and hinder activity. Some people just go about the forums in a different way, and some people are active when the SB is there, as others are more active when its not. It doesn't matter much, its just us poor fellas who are more active when the SB is down have to spend more time in inactivity then you other nuggets. :<

I agree with this; the chatbox is just a huge distraction to some, and...
I agree with this. The SB shows when new threads and posts are made, so if something catches your eye, you can easily go to it and post. Plus people enjoy hanging out and having conversations in it. It seems to do a lot of good in my opinion. I think it's something to be kept around.
...in some cases, the few people who respond to the new threads and posts that you mentioned are us chatbox regulars; in other words, us chatboxers are, like, the only people who use the chatbox. Overall, the chatbox isn't that popular. It has no effect on overall forum traffic/activity; rather, it's absence gives us chatbox regulars no option but to post more...

However, I shall withhold my opinion as to whether or not I care if it returns. (Hint: I don't.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom