• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where The Heck Does MC Go...

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
it seems that the placement of MC on the timline varies a lot from person to person. there seems to be a huge 50/50 agreement on where it goes. many people say its the first game in the series and many people say that it is not the first game in the series, so my question that i want to be discussed in this thread is just where would you place MC on the timeline and what reasons do you have for placing it there?

i will answer my question and rather than having people debate what someone else says, i just want everyone to state what they think without bashing someone elses ideas. if you dont like what someone has to say, then dont argue with them, just state what you think.

so here is what i think:

i believe that MC is the first in the series for multiple reasons.

first of these reasons is the back story told at the beginning of the game. there is not a single mention of any great evil prior to this time period, only mention of a war that caused many monsters to fight for a great power and they were captured because of their wickedness. also, there is no mention of Link in the back story, but instead the hero of men known as gustav. there is no higher power evil, there is no Link, there is no legend told in the game that seems to be explaining any events in any of the other games.

reason number two why i think its first:

the clothing. in the back story when they talk about Gustav, he is not wearing a green hat but he is wearing a green tunic. also, he is no wielding the master sword but is instead wielding a sword created by a race that doesnt exist in any of the other games. during the game you eventually come upon a wizard who was transformed into a hat/duck mix (haha). after you save him he gives you a green hat saying that it suits you. in every other game you wear a green hat, start out with a green hat, or eventually get a green hat saying that an ancient hero once wore a hat like it, but in this game you get a green hat only because a wizard thinks it looks good on you. he never says an ancient hero wore a hat like it once, and since the game takes place in hyrule, i would think that if it was not the first game in the series than someone would have mentioned an ancient hero who used to wear the same hat.

reason number 3:

the enemy. the main bad guy in the game is Vaati. in the game he has his own back story and everything, just like Ganondorf in OoT. ganondorf is not at all mentioned anywhere or even hinted to in this game. this is the only game that takes place in hyrule that has nothing to do with ganondorf. this would lead me to believe that no one knows who ganondorf is and he has not come into the series yet. if ganondorf is not in the series yet, then this game would HAVE to come before OoT because that is the game in which ganondorf is introduced, and if MC comes before OoT then it is the first game in the timeline.

4th reason why it is the first game:

the different races in the game. there are only like one or two gorons, there are no zoras, and the piccori only appear in this game. now many people put this game after WW and PH, but this would make no sense, because the rito tribe is not around. the rito tribe was a tribe of flying creatures. in order for MC to come after WW then the rito tribe would to have died out sometime, but i would think that seeing as how MC has a bunch of land it would be easier for a flying tribe to exist. also with the piccori, i think at some point the deku tree is created or grown or whatever after MC takes place and turns the piccori who are forest protecting creatures into kokiri who are the forest protectors in OoT.

now it is time to discuss. as i said before, i dont want someone to just come in and start telling me whats wrong with my explanation. thats not what this thread is for. i just want you to state your ideas and after we have plenty of ideas presented then we can start arguing. thank you.

well I for one agree with you. I think Mc comes first. I think there is a quote even with Miyamoto saying its first,if i can find it ill edit this post. But it always hit me as before Ganon even though there are Moblins who are supposed to be his minons, where that came form is beyond me. But overall i agree with you.

well I for one agree with you. I think Mc comes first. I think there is a quote even with Miyamoto saying its first,if i can find it ill edit this post. But it always hit me as before Ganon even though there are Moblins who are supposed to be his minons, where that came form is beyond me. But overall i agree with you.

I would like to see that quote. Not because I don't believe you, but just because I think I have seen it myself before, but just don't remember well enough to agree. I for one do not think it comes first. Mainly because, although Zemen125 has some very good reasons, I just don't think theres enough there to support where it goes exactly.

My initial thought on the game was simple: Its look and design made me feel that it came after WW. I thought, whenever I had only played it for the first few portions, that the Hyrule in the game was the New Hyrule which Tetra and Link went looking for after WW. There was a quote in the game about Link and Zelda being "childhood friends", which made me think that they were the same Link and Zelda from WW, and that Tetra in finding this New Hyrule took on her true role as Princess.

I also do not believe that the "hat" think is very supportive. Just because the Link in this game recieves the hat at the end and every other Link carries the same trait dosen't lead me to believe that this game had to come before. It could have came after, and Ezlo could have said "It suits you" because of the previous hero's looks. Even though Ezlo didn't know of the previous heroes, he could have said that as sort of, one of those things that just seems right.

If it came after WW, then references to Ganon may be ignored by the fact that he was known to be destroyed and left in the previous Hyrule, and that he had never yet been a problem in the New Hyrule.

The intro of MC was very short, and didn't really say anything about a war, just that the world was on the verge of being swallowed by shadow. Which is when the Picori gave Gustav a sword to vanquish this evil. So it does make reference to a previous evil, and the picture shown when the story speaks of the world about to be "swallowed by shadow" depicts a creature which looks like a Moblin, or perhaps even Ganon himself (its a big pig-like-thing).

To me, the intro to MC dosen't give a lot of information as to what exactly it is referring to. It dosen't actually say the guys name was Gustav, but that was apparently revealed later on. It would be a huge stretch to say that the story was actually referring to the original game, LoZ. The reason I say this is because the one thing that I catch more than anything else that the story says is "With Wisdom and Courage, the hero....". The original Zelda saw Link gathering the Triforce of Wisdom, and you could assume that he already had the Triforce of Courage since its not really mentioned, but has to be there somewhere. So if Link, by the time he reached Ganon, had gathered the Triforce of Wisdom pieces, he would be in possesion of both Wisdom and Courage, and upon defeating Ganon would have saved Hyrule and its people.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Myamoto never said that MC was the first in the timeline... what he said was that Four Swords(for the GBA) was the first game in the timeline(and that was before MC came out, so, you see Loki's point, cuz MC has to come before FS)

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
if myamoto says that FS comes first (before MC came out) then MC would have to be the first game. also, the back story of MC was about Gustav. you dont find that out til later on in the game. this is a HUGE hint that it does not come after any game that we know of.

if we have a back story about Gustav, and not Link, then there should be no argument that MC is first in the timeline. every game has had Link being the hero and has told a story about a past hero (that we know is Link) saving the world but this is a back story about Gustav. just beacuse there is a picture of a creature that looks like ganon does not mean it is ganon. if there was one specific evil trying to take over the world it would have been mentioned in the back story. also, moblins look very similar to Ganon only smaller so it could very well have just been a moblin.

i feel that the fact that he recieves his hat is a big hint too. like i said before, in every other game you start out with the hat, or someone gives you that hat saying that a hero once wore a hat like that, but this is just someone giving him a hat as a gift. the hat had to have come from somewhere and this is a perfect set up as to why there is a hat.

also the monsters were released by the chest. in the back story it says that the evil was sealed away in the chest with the piccori sword but when vaati destroys the sword and releases the monsters in the chest, there is no ganon. only a bunch of other monsters.

also there was mention that Zelda and Link are childhood friends in MC. this is not a very solid theory as to why its not the first game. Link is supposedly a descendant of a royal hylian knight so it would make sense that his family is close with the royal family. also, in many other games in the series, Link knows Zelda in one way or another prior to his adventures.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
you are repeating yourself... But I have to agree with you in that... Also, the picture of the Ganon-like thing is in fact, a Spear Moblin, if you look to it and look to the Moblin's Sprite, you'll see that Moblin's are more Ganon-ish in this game, wich doesn't mean that Ganon already existed.
I think that MC is set before Ganondorf was even born

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
i wasnt repeating myself on purpose. i was repeating other ideas i stated in order to introduce new ideas that tied in with the old ones, but yes, that creature looks more like a moblin than it does ganon, also, ganon does look like all of them anyway so who knows if it is him or not, but i believe it is not him because there is no mention of him, and like i said, there is no mention of ONE evil creature in the back story but instead a group of evil creatures.

Ok, so I will change my initial argument, and say that MC comes first. Not because of the hat, but because now that I am trying to make my own timeline, thats basically the only place I can put it. Four Swords Adventures gives more insight into Ganon and his power. Since he does not have the Triforce in this game and we see him get the Trident for the first (historical) time, it must come before ALttP. Four Swords is somewhat of a sequel to Minish Cap in the way that Wind Waker was to Ocarina, so taking all of that into consideration, MC can be placed first, followed by FS, and FSA coming sometime later.

I think that the Minish Cap and the rest of the Four Swords take place in there own timeline,which I call the bad Zelda games timeline.

I always kind of thought that MC and the other Capcom games (Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, Oracle series) didn't follow the normal timeline.

After all, not only were they made by a different creator, but a different company.

C

cpunerd96

I haven't played MC but I know for a fact that Shigeru Miyamoto said OoT came first.

A

Ando

Can I just add real quick here that (even though this might just be developer oversight) The Minish Cap characters speak in The Wind Waker Hylian? If you were to take that as law, it would be clear that The Minish Cap comes AFTER The Wind Waker (or at least after Ocarina of Time, on the adult timeline, depending on when [in-game] the language was developed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom