• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where on the Timeline Should the Next Zelda Game Take Place?

The timeline of The Legend of Zelda series always used to be one of the greatest sources of mystery surrounding the franchise. That shroud, however, dissipated with the release of an official timeline endorsed by Eiji Aonuma in the Hyrule Historia book last December (which in the meantime has become a source of many theory arguments for some and a dark demon for others).

As we approach E3 2012 and our anticipation grows for the announcement of another Zelda game-most likely for 3DS-it's wise to wonder where Nintendo would most likely place a new installment. Or better yet, where on the timeline would you like for the next game to take place? Personally, I'd like to see a title on the "Hero is Defeated" timeline explaining the Sealing War that occurs before A Link to the Past. Not only would that provide an interesting story but also a scope which the series has never experienced. Be sure to tell me where on the timeline you'd like for the fifteenth mainstream Zelda title to take place. :)

If you need a refresher of the official timeline as detailed by the Hyrule Historia click here.

I hope they make one with a more serious story, like TP. As for where in the timeline it should be, i would have to agree with you and say it should be in the "Hero is defeated" section.

I would like to see something at the end of the timeline, as it feels this franchise only goes backwards. However i would like to see a sequal to links awakening in some form(maybe there already is one? lol)

I feel like something at the end of the timeline would be a nice breath of fresh air, also if possible a sequel to Skyward Sword would be awesome too. I'm very curious about what's going to happen after the timeline has been released, like I hope to see something and exciting. I feel if it were set somewhere between the timeline it wouldn't interest me as much as a new story.
So even though I know it might not happen I would love to see a progression forward.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I think any of the three timelines would be great.
Seeing that Nintendo has the backstories for everything cleared up. (mostly)

I'd like it placed far enough down the road that whichever the last game on that line has become a children's story.
I think we should see a new story emerge that has a new villain after the Triforce.
You could emphasize the fact that no-one believes the stories yet they are true aspect by having the hero acquire the clothes during the quest.
I think that could put a fresh spin on things.

Ocarina_Link said:
Normally the child timeline is dark themed,so the graphics on the wii u would look amazing on a dark themed game(like TP).

The tech demo graphics are not confirmed for the final Wii U Zelda product. Take the drastic alteration from the Spaceworld 2001 Zelda demo for Gamecube to the release of The Wind Waker in 2003.

feraldonkey said:
I feel like something at the end of the timeline would be a nice breath of fresh air, also if possible a sequel to Skyward Sword would be awesome too.

I felt that Skyward Sword was a consummate story in and of itself. Its purpose was to detail the origin stories of the Master Sword as well as Triforce and it did so very effectively. No additional story is needed.

I have no clue where they will decide to put it, but I would like a Zelda title in between Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap or in between Twilight Princess and Four Swords Adventures.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Hmmm... Interesting topic.

I'd like a 3D sequel to Zelda II, with a dark story, like Twilight Princess.

Last edited:

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Hmm... tough to say. I think they'll probably make the 3DS one at the end of the Adult Timeline, or with Miyamoto's recent interest in ALTTP's style, possibly one in the failed timeline. The Wii U will probably take place in either the child Timeline (before or after Four Swords + Adventures), or possibly between Skyward Sword and the Minish Cap.

Personally, I'd like to see one that would merge all three timelines back together... haha but I'm sure many a fan and space/time theorist wouldn't care for that at all.

If the next Zelda game were to occur at the end of a timeline i don't think it'd make much of a difference, it'd simply be another story to continue the timeline with a story and style all of its own that may not reflect the style of the rest of the timeline, so far perhaps it was coincidence that the the 3d games and the cel shaded games have their own timelines, i can't imagine that that had been nintendo's idea from the start when they go for gameplay first. I'd like a good cel shaded 3d adventure following Spirit Tracks, we have an entire new continent to explore, lets get on with it.

I would like to see the 3DS zelda to be a sequel to skyward sword and the next console game at the end of the time line with ALL the races that had been created in the games with the exception to the ones that had evolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom