• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where do you stand on Skyward Sword HD?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
With OoT3D, MM3D, WWHD and TPHD there's an elephant in the Zelda remake discussion room.

"What about me?!" screams poor SS. :(

An already divisive title in the series, and the only one of the 3D titles without a proper remaster or remake.
Would you like one?

If so - reworked with traditional controls or should Nintendo do their wizardry to make the game work with the right joy-cons IR motion sensor?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
skyward sword I feel is the zelda game that has the most apparent problems, both in how it's integrally designed and just certain gameplay stuff, so while I don't think an hd remake or remaster will change everyone's minds, I think one that makes a lot of quality of life updates can at least help ease a few more people into the game
it wouldn't matter to me either way if one were made but I'm not the right person to ask

Meeeeeh....

I'd buy it and play it but I still probably wouldn't enjoy it. Even if the motion controls were reworked into analog controls it wouldn't change the terrible design that the game has at base.

Even adding some stuff wouldn't be much more fun since it wasnt a fun world to be in...

It would be nice if it looked better though. Putting Wind Waker HD's sky box in there would be awesome since SS's was fugly as hell, though SS's artstyle would probably wreck it.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Here's some images the Zelda team released of Skyward Sword in WWHD's engine.

Ds3UIh9XQAASUfW.jpeg

Ds3UECsWkAE9Rx2.jpeg

I personally think I'd like one, being someone who thinks SS is a good game, but I think I'd want it with motion controls. I know it may seem impossible, but if Nintendo could do RingFit Adventure, I'm sure they could come up with at least some kind of add-on that could simulate Wii's Motion Plus.

Here's some images the Zelda team released of Skyward Sword in WWHD's engine.

View attachment 42910

View attachment 42911

I personally think I'd like one, being someone who thinks SS is a good game, but I think I'd want it with motion controls. I know it may seem impossible, but if Nintendo could do RingFit Adventure, I'm sure they could come up with at least some kind of add-on that could simulate Wii's Motion Plus.

They do certainly look like nice screen shots... It'd be nice if it looked like that. Even BotW's cel shading would do well on SS, better than what it had originally.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
That would be great! I'm one of the first in queue to buy it. A great narrative gets a great gameplay.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would really love to have it. It's one of my favorite Zelda games and to be honest if I could stand to sit in front of my TV with my Wii longer I would probably replay it more than I have. Being able to sit on my bed and play it would be a game changer, motion controls or not.

I don't think the controls need all that much fixing, but I can see them adding some nice qol updates to them nonetheless. I also think they should touch up the sky a bit. I can't really imagine them adding much to it because it's a remake and they'd want to be a little faithful, I guess, but if Xenoblade's remake can get an epilogue expansion, I don't see why Skyward Sword couldn't get an extra postgame island in the sky or something.

Either way I'd definitely enjoy playing it on the Switch. I'd definitely buy it.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'd be against it. The problems with the game run far too deep to be solved with a new coat of paint and better/removed motion controls. The story, pacing, world design, enemy design, puzzles, dungeons, items, all of it is just terrible and the novelty of motion controls is the only thing distracting people from that in many cases. Removing them wouldn't make the game worse, it'd just make it clear to more people how bad it was in the first place.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's a terrible game and should only be brought to Switch if the intention is to remake it as completely as Capcom remade Resident Evil 2 and 3.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think if fans really want it in a few years, they should go for it. I don't know if I'd be buying it though because my issues with the game run beyond just the motion controls. I also wasn't too dissatisfied with the artstyle, at least with the concept on paper. You can't fix the story without making major changes, and at that point it'd be a reboot not a remake.

*clears throat emphatically* No. I paid 60 bucks for that busted piece of crap once. I wouldn't pay so much as a penny for it a second time. 3 good dungeons was not enough to redeem it.

Fans of the game will enjoy it though.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I’d rather have it than a port of WWHD or TPHD.

SS was incredibly flawed, but it was far from the worst game in the series. (Not that it’s hard to be better than Toilet Princess).

Personally I dont think the controls are the problem. The technology has come a long way since the Wii motion plus so keeping the motion controls wouldn’t be the worst thing ever. I wouldn’t mind the option to switch to a left handed grip however.

The major issue with the game is the world itself, but nothing about it can’t be fixed with a few tweaks. Make paths between the three provinces, add more islands and places to explore in the sky, add more heart pieces and extra items, that’s all that’s really needed.

Most of the other mechanics never really bothered me. I much prefer the stamina in SS to BotW as the world is built around using it instead of forcing you to upgrade it or get special food to go anywhere. The shield durability is fine, but I’d like the different shields to actually have special abilities instead of just being more durable then the last. I’d be fine with leaving these two mostly intact.

The bosses do need work. Get rid of ghirahim 2 (1 and 3 are almost completely different so they’re fine), imprisoned 2 and 3, and replace them with better fights.

Aside from that and some QOL, SSHD would be a great addition to the switch library.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
It needs some work. Personally, the motion controls don't feel as responsive as traditional controls.

And, a reworking of the graphics, specifically the texture work, shadows, and some designs would serve to improve the game.

The artstyle was designed to look like an impressionist painting, so something of this caliber:

1586228376537.png

Which I feel was bungled because the Wii just simply didn't have the graphical horsepower to get the deep shadows, the vibrant colors, and hatching that is the hallmark of impressionist art.

If the graphics was reworked to actually look more like a moving, impressionist painting as they had originally envisioned, then it would certainly help improve the game.

Next, they'd need to rework the controls to work on the Switch. Completely remaking the game at this point is what would be required to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the series.

Reactions: Dio
I'd be fine with SS dying a quiet death and being forgotten, even though there are parts of it that I liked. I am not keen on it returning in any real form. Mostly because whenever it makes a good decision it trips over itself making sure to bury it in nine bad ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom