• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Where Do We Go From Here?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Smash Ultimate. The name itself implies finality. Sakurai gonna Sakurai. Everybody's here (except a certain debonair dastard). Nintendo doesn't always make choices that I like but they don't usually milk series 'till they're dead the way many other developers do so we may have seen the last SSB.

If Ultimate isn't the final entry, what could possibly be done to make an SSB game worth playing after Ultimate? I've been playing since the 64 release so I have some different views than fans who got into the series later but maybe this'll give you an idea of where my tastes lie.

SSB
SSBB
SSBU
SSBWU
SSBM
SSB3DS

I liked the slower pace of Brawl and the OG. I feel that SSB has taken on an identity as being more frantic than it once was and that has brought both positive and negative aspects with it. It does inform my wishes for the next SSB though that I prefer SSB and Brawl.

I'd like the next game to have about 15-20 characters. You can't outdo "Everybody's here" so don't even try. Say the original eight, five fan favorites, and four wild-cards, all Nintendo properties. Give each character a high level of uniqueness and make each as different as possible. Ultimate did a good job balancing but a lot of the characters had similar mechanics. It's much more difficult to make disparate mechanics balanced but having only a handful of characters would make the task much more manageable.

Each character then has their own story either in-universe or out but they need to have a single-player story mode. With highly unique mechanics for each character, it ought to make a single-player story mode more engaging as each character's story can include challenges tailored to them specifically.

Then there needs to be at least a single co-op story in which several players can participate. It won't be as focused as the single-player stories but that's fine as long as it's accessible to several players.

This style of game would surely disappoint some players who prefer the expansive roster and core focus on online competitive play but I'd still prefer it. SSB: Gaiden.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Maybe integrate the story mode more, so that you have to go through a Subspace style map and story to unlock everyone and the traditional fight mode isn't the main focus.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I would prefer to have a campaign mode be the main focus of a single SSB game but I don't think most people would and I wouldn't want the series to lose fans either. It probably ought to continue to have a robust multiplayer element. Shoot, maybe go way over the top and remake levels from each character's games and string them together for the campaign. Like full 3D environments but only for the campaign. That may be too far off the mark, I don't think anyonewants SSB to go 3D and completely change its structure but it might be fun just for the campaign.

And I am a huge fan of marketing the game around Waluigi as the "main character". Make the whole campaign about Master Hand refusing to pick him in every subsequent game. Make a big deal about how "Everyone is Here" except for the Violet Villain himself and have him fight his way to an invitation.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
What about a very specific and direct campaign direction? I'm thinking like, a short campaign for each character (in a 15-20 character game) with there being a representative from several popular genres. Let's just say we've got the OG 12. I like the idea of having very few characters and each of them having an entirely specific set of rules and mechanics built around them.

So we have a short campaign (or segment of an inclusive campaign) for each of the OG 12. Then we have several more characters representing different genres. Let's try to round it off at 20. So 8 different genres. Let's say...(and these are not my finest work)

FPS: Master Chief - Halo (you knew this was coming)

Visual Novel: Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney

RPG: Ryu - Breath of Fire (This is my...I think it's my favorite RPG series of all time even though it's a dismal failure at the moment. Anyway, it's either Ryu or...whatever the dude's name is from the Legend of the River King. That would be a unique moveset)

Third-Person-Shooter: Leon - Resident Evil

Beat-Em-Up: Wart -Battletoads

RTS: Rabbid - Raving Rabbids (I've never played any of these games but I know the developers have a good relationship worth Nintendo and this could be an opportunity to advance the IP. It's either a Rabbid or like an Advanced Wars battalion somehow)

Puzzle: Mama: Cooking/etc. Mama

Spinoff Representative: Waluigi - Mario Spinoffs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom