• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Where Did All Those Redeads Come From?

D

Deleted member 14134

I figure they're just the ones who are unlucky enough to make it out. The village isn't big enough to support the entire population of a city and I imagine when Ganondorf came into power there were casualties.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Maybe they have a weaker virus/venom/whatever that won't turn someone into them unless they're killed? OR Link's triforce piece prevents that from happening. Kinda like how in TP, everyone turned into spirits in the twilight, but Link having the triforce of courage allowed him to take a form that wasn't helpless, the wolf.

That would explain a lot. I can't remember any other situation where another character got attacked by a Redead. The only thing I know is Pamela's father who is half Gibdo in Majora's Mask. Gibdo's are the brothers of the Redead, only with some extra bandages. But they only mention he got cursed. Could be that he started turning because he got bitten.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
That would explain a lot. I can't remember any other situation where another character got attacked by a Redead. The only thing I know is Pamela's father who is half Gibdo in Majora's Mask. Gibdo's are the brothers of the Redead, only with some extra bandages. But they only mention he got cursed. Could be that he started turning because he got bitten.
I'm pretty sure he did get bitten and now he's becoming one. Since he has no triforce piece, the poor guy...nothing is stopping the zombie virus from taking over. It makes sense that an average joe getting bitten by a redead would suffer the same fate. Only they would become a redead instead of a gibdo.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Maybe they were people who didn't leave Castle Town in time before Ganondorf destroyed it. Maybe they were damaged by the magic he used, kind of as if he'd dropped a nuclear bomb and they'd become deformed, hungry and inhuman in the fallout. I think that keeps in with both canon, what we see in the game, SSB and retains the creepy atmosphere surrounding them. Idk though because you do see them in other places in Hyrule, like in graves and down the well etc. Saying that there are some in Ganon's Castle as you run through it as it's collapsing. They could have been Hylian guards who didn't die properly when Ganondorf took over and murdered/vanished/banished the king.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
People are acting like the G-man is the kind of dude who would just Randomly kill his citizens. Let us recall that this man has the mentality of a king. A dark king, but a king nonetheless. He wants to rule Hyrule, not destroy it. He'll kill those who stand against him along with those who fail him and he'll force people to bend to his will (like make them get out of his town) but there's no reason for him to just randomly lay waste to everything and everyone. The other parts of Hyrule were attacked because they were loyal to the old ways of Hyrule and Ganon needed them to submit, live in fear, or die. (Plus his pet dragon needed food) And, whether we like it or not, HH is considered canon and at this point in his life Ganondorf was the most sane he's ever been. It won't be til later that the triforce truly corrupts him. Given that, and the info about the SBB trophies, I think it's safe to say the redead are just something the G-man conjured up and not the residents of the town.

Last edited:
Here's my take...

Redeads are not the fallen townsfolk, as that would be too dark. Plus they would've rotted way too fast if that was the case. They're magical beings summoned by Ganondorf.

Are they contagious? No, plus they weren't ever humans.

So what happened to the rest of the Townsfolk who aren't in Kakariko village? I think they made it out of Hyrule.

So did anyone die? Yes, the guards and inhabitants of Hyrule Castle died, however their corpses were discarded into the burning lava.

Also, I always thought the Poe Collector WAS the soldier from the barracks, and that he was always a supporter of Ganondorf due to his secret infatuation with Poe souls...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would imagine they are just the townsfolk who don't make it to Kakariko. I have seen some sources say that they are simply shapes created by magic or even clay monsters however the sun's song description describes giving peace to the 'living dead' which means they have to be dead people. In Majoras Mask they are explicitly stated to be the dead inhabitants of Ikana. Burning a Gibdo's bandages off reveals a ReDead inside. There is literally no reason to mummify a clay monster and Ganondorf does not have any influence down the bottom of the well during the child portion of the game nor beneath the graves of Kakariko so I'm going to go with the evidence that suggests they are the bodies of the dead that have ReAnimated somehow.

My take on ReDeads:
They were summoned by Ganondorf, but he did not create them. They already existed elsewhere, and he simple summoned them from wherever they were before.

Remember how there were ReDeads in the Royal Family's Tomb? And in the Bottom of the Well in Kakariko?
My own theory is that ReDeads are Sheikah experiments with reanimation gone horribly wrong... or horribly right, depending upon what the Sheikah were trying to reanimate the corpses for.

We know that the Sheikah aren't strangers to doing the dirty work of the Royal Family, the Shadow Temple shows us that much... The Sheikah placed the failed experiments, the ReDeads, in the tombs and temples scattered throughout Hyrule to protect the Royal Family's secrets for all of time-- and possibly as trials to test the courage of the hero.
This is why you see them in places like Hyrule Castle (TP), the Earth Temple (WW), and of course, the Royal Family's Tomb and the Shadow Temple (OoT). You don't see ReDeads in SS because the Sheikah had not yet begun their experiments because no Royal Family yet, and in BotW... well, the experiments that created the ReDeads were probably the darker precursors to the process the Sheikah Monks used to mummify themselves so that they could help the hero across the ages. It's likely that there are still some of the failed experiments sealed beneath BotW's Hyrule, which is why we see them appear in TotK-- the sealed underground is open once again.

In these sacred places, the ReDeads remained... until ol' G yoinked them outside for his own purposes, of course. Why bother creating undead monstrosities yourself when you have a ready supply already foolishly stockpiled by your enemies?

ReDeads are Sheikah experiments with reanimation

I've heard a theory like this before and really liked it. Not only do you find them in the Earth Temple, but there's a giant statue of one as the main piece of the temple. And I believe the redeads in that game have shiekah tattoos on their bodies. Redeads might even be shiekah volunteers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom