• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Where Did All Those Redeads Come From?

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
So in Adult Link's time, Castle Town is swarming with redeads and everyone who lived there is now in Kakariko Village. But why? Where did the redeads come from? Did Ganondorf use them to lay waste to the area, or did they just show up after he took over? If redeads are zombies, and I'm sure they are, they can probably turn their victims into more redeads. So are some of those redeads the people who didn't leave fast enough, originating from one or a few redeads that stumbled upon the town? I don't think the lady who asks you to find her dog as Child Link is in Kakariko after the seven years...neither is the soldier in the building with all the pots that becomes the poe collector's house. They could just be elsewhere, but I can't help thinking that they might have met a grisly fate.

Discuss.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I think they're the nameless characters (people standing at stalls, etc.) that died there long ago.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Well, this is is what was said in SSB melee about them: "Seven years after Ganondorf took control of Hyrule, ReDeads roamed the ruins of Castle Town, moaning. At first, Link was shocked at the state of the town, and the apparent lack of survivors. He later learned that the townsfolk had evacuated to safety, and that the ReDeads were just magic animated into hideous humanoid shapes." So I'm guess that probably means Ganny put them there as a "Keep Out" sign of sorts.

Well, this is is what was said in SSB melee about them: "Seven years after Ganondorf took control of Hyrule, ReDeads roamed the ruins of Castle Town, moaning. At first, Link was shocked at the state of the town, and the apparent lack of survivors. He later learned that the townsfolk had evacuated to safety, and that the ReDeads were just magic animated into hideous humanoid shapes." So I'm guess that probably means Ganny put them there as a "Keep Out" sign of sorts.

I prefer thinking of them as the town's dead, in that it makes the situation more dire. Ganondorf conquered Hyrule and left it in ruin, it makes sense that not everyone survived. I am not sure how much statements from SSB are canon but it does come from Nintendo so I digress.

Fig

The Altruist
The Redeads are probably the NPCs that inhabited Castle Town prior before Link pulled out the Master Sword from its pedestal. This would make sense since when Link slept for the seven years in the Temple of Time, Ganondorf then struck Hyrule and started to seek for the last piece of the Triforce, in this case the Triforce of Courage. The inhabitants were victims of Ganondorf's attacks and are probably a result of his dark magic.

Dragoncat

Wow, good find!

Big Octo

=^)
Addressing the SSB trophy, I recall that they're not considered canon.

I agree that they're probably the inhabitants of the Market that weren't able to evacuate to Kakariko Village. There's numerous NPCs that inhabit the Market when Link is a child and only a handful of them are alive in Kakariko. It only makes sense that they were slaughtered and reanimated. Ganon's a bad dude, and it is known that he's also a murderer, which Nabooru points out.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion

aw come on,i was...well,at least it's here

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I also don't agree with you zombie statement. Zombie's, as in the classical stereotype, are highly contagious everywhere you see them. In every movie, serie or comic I've seen or read about them, people get bitten and are always screwed. Link can get bitten by them and not turn at all. It scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, but it didn't have consequences. So, you can say they are dead, but it's not the classical zombie.

I think that the name should be taken literally. "ReDead", so I think it's just dead corpses that are reanimated by Ganon his dark magic. They never dwell in places where the living are, only in the Graveyard, Castle Town (adult Link time) and the Shadow Temple.

Well obviously what happened was all of the towns people who didn't make it to Kakariko in time (seven years is a short window to move 50 feet away) were attacked by Ganondorf who smothered them with his cape which turned them into redeads.

Eh, I suppose there are a lot of plausible explanations, but I've always imagined that a lot of these unworldly creatures were summoned from another dimension of sorts. I suppose my only support for that notion is Ganondorf exclaiming to banish Phantom Ganon to a place called the gap between dimensions, but... if he can send monsters there, then he can clearly open portals to other worlds and pull monsters from wherever he pleases. I guess. Something. Were they once people? Mmm... it'd be hard to say, but judging by the anatomy, they would've had to have been hardly humanoid. Or at least ended up getting extremely disfigured.

I am not sure how much statements from SSB are canon but it does come from Nintendo so I digress.

They ain't very canon because in SSBB, they said the seven sages forged the Master Sword, but apparently Lonk did that. And, yeah, most of the people who hung around the Market end up residing in Kakariko after the seven years.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Its obvious isn't it? You notice that when link wakes up after pulling up the Master Sword that not everyone who was in the castle town market is in kakariko village, I like to think they hung around too long, got killed, and Ganondorf used magic to turn them into redeads.

Dragoncat

Mandy said:
They ain't very canon because in SSBB, they said the seven sages forged the Master Sword, but apparently Lonk did that.
Seth said:
Well yeah, but it was that way when Melee came out, then SS retconned it.
He still didn't forge it, he just...made it better. Forging would mean he was the one who took the metal, heated it etc to make a sword. It was already made when he got it. The sacred flames just added to it. But yeah, it was retconned. The seven sages weren't around before SS and I'm pretty sure the sword that would become the master sword was forged by the goddesses.

Mask Salesman said:
I also don't agree with you zombie statement. Zombie's, as in the classical stereotype, are highly contagious everywhere you see them. In every movie, serie or comic I've seen or read about them, people get bitten and are always screwed. Link can get bitten by them and not turn at all. It scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, but it didn't have consequences. So, you can say they are dead, but it's not the classical zombie.
Maybe they have a weaker virus/venom/whatever that won't turn someone into them unless they're killed? OR Link's triforce piece prevents that from happening. Kinda like how in TP, everyone turned into spirits in the twilight, but Link having the triforce of courage allowed him to take a form that wasn't helpless, the wolf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom