• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where BoTW Fits

I think I have a solid theory for where Breath of the Wild will take place and have a general idea of how it'll play out. Breath of the Wild is a sequel to Majora's Mask but a prequel to Wind Waker. Hear me out. Link finishes his adventure in Termina and is put to sleep for 100 years due to some event, possibly a longer version of what happens in OoT once you become an adult. Or maybe fiddling with time in Termina sends Link into the future 100 years. Anywho, Link awakens in Hyrule 100 years after Majora's Mask to Zelda telling him to open his eyes.

Link wakes up in Hyrule with no recollection of his past life. Soon after a great evil arises and attempts to subjugate the land. Link stumbles upon a massive tree, a living tree with a face and all. This is the Great Deku Tree sprout 100 years later. It sends Link on a journey to rescue Zelda and awaken the sages. Link awakens the sages who inform him that he must seek out the King of Hyrule. Links discovers the King, a younger man named Daphne Nohansen Hyrule. The man reveals Zelda's location and begs Link to save her. Link does his heroic stuff and rescues Zelda. The duo find their way back to the Deku Tree where it is revealed that Link is the Hero or Time, the same hero who disappeared 100 years ago and the evil is Ganon, the demon king who seeks to control all of Hyrule. Link gains the Master Sword and is finally ready to defeat Ganon once and for all. Link and Zelda navigate their way to Ganon and confront him/it/whatever Ganon seems to be this time. Link engages Ganon in battle and after a long, strenuous duel, Link is defeated.

All hope is lost, Ganon is sure to conquer Hyrule. But the sages and Zelda have one last trick up their sleeve. The sages tell some people of Hyrule to migrate to the mountain tops if they hope to survive. Zelda manages to seal away the Master Sword in hopes someone else may take it up one day. She and a few of her advisors seek out a mountain themsleves. It is then that the sages call upon the godesses and Hyrule Castle is sealed in time beneath a barrier. A great downpour begins and the land is covered by a great sea.

Few people know that the Hero of Time returned to Hyrule in a vain attempt to save it once more. Instead, they tell tales of the boy who saved their lands long ago and failed to return in their time of need. Legends of the sages, of the kingdom, of the princess, they are all slowly forgotten. The Hero though, his story remains, told time and time again to young boys all over the sea who aspire to be that hero and push back all evil that may present itself. On one island in particular, it is customary for boys of age to dress in green.

You guys think it holds up? I will admit, this hype fueled theorizing isn't the best but I do truly think the game is somewhere in the adult timeline. Discuss, ask questions, tell me I'm wrong, it'll help ease the hype we're all feeling.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I highly doubt it for two reasons:
1) Majora's Mask takes place in a separate timeline from Wind Waker. There is no continuity between the two.
2) In Wind Waker, they make a big deal about how there was no hero after the Hero of Time left.

It is a new idea though, and I always like seeing those, so good job.

Right, so I now have the theory that the timeline either doesn't exist, or BOTW is in some post alternate OoT branch where shieka stuff exists.

I mean seriously. Korroks exist, no Kokiri to speak of. The Great Deku Tree, Gorons, Original/*I guess more saltwater shark based?* Zora, Avians, 2 Hyrule fountains/ruins, ****ing machines, link being missing for 100 years, Ganon doesn't die, Wolf Link *which admits the Twili exist or have some presence*, an intact Temple of Time, Mastersword being placed right next to the Great Deku Tree, and a King existing/maybe-alive.

None of the timelines posses these traits.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Right, so I now have the theory that the timeline either doesn't exist, or BOTW is in some post alternate OoT branch where shieka stuff exists.

I mean seriously. Korroks exist, no Kokiri to speak of. The Great Deku Tree, Gorons, Original/*I guess more saltwater shark based?* Zora, Avians, 2 Hyrule fountains/ruins, ****ing machines, link being missing for 100 years, Ganon doesn't die, Wolf Link *which admits the Twili exist or have some presence*, an intact Temple of Time, Mastersword being placed right next to the Great Deku Tree, and a King existing/maybe-alive.

None of the timelines posses these traits.
------------/->WW>PH>ST>TFH
SS>OoT>MM>TP>TMC>FS>FSA>ALttP>OoX>LA>ALBW>LoZ>AoL>BotW

Boom. The shiekah **** was deep underground in basically time capsules from what we know so far so they and the machines get a pass for that, all the TP and retro references are almost instantly accounted for (FYI standard Zoras and Gorons appear in the classic era during OoA), the Koroks literally evolved from the Kokiri so there's no reason to assume that didn't also happen eventually after the child ending due to a similar catastrophe, the bird people strongly resemble the Fokka from AoL, we already know there's at least 2 deku trees and very similar Maku Trees, the temple of time's layout is identical to the layout the sanctuary has in albw right down to the placement of the Hylua statue (i mentioned this multiple times in other threads and I'm tired of getting into it lol) and the sanctuary is already implied to be a temple of time in the Japan script of ALBW anyway, the Goddess Statue first appeared (release order) in aol so zero questions there, and Ganon seems to be a specter in this form so that strongly alludes this Ganon had his body destroyed (cough cough LoZ1)

HH doesn't work but there is a timeline that still works with even less inconsistencies than HH and accounts for every single in game aspect and all content.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
@hwrdjacob Seeing as BotW Link is OoT Link, I highly doubt that the game sets after TAoL. The Great Deku Tree is literally the same one from OoT and he says the following to Link:

The Great Deku Tree said:
The look on your face tells me that you have no recollection of me however

Yeah, BotW setting after TAoL is pretty much impossible now. Not to mention the game is confirmed to be heavily connected to TP HD, with "Oh, I see" moments. And since this features OoT Link as a grown man, it can't set before OoT either. So the game has to be in the Child Timeline between MM and TP.

Zachie

Moo
I'm not convinced that it's OoT Link.. honestly I never thought it was. It makes 0 sense for us to be collecting memories of a Link we've already played. It makes more sense to me for it to be a Link that was a little bit after Skyward Sword, and then went to sleep for 100 years because he got really badly messed up in a fight.

I dont think we've seen this Link before at all.

BotW itself spans 100 years with the backstory to the present being those events that happened 100 years ago. So yeah, Hyrule has seen this Link before but we havent. He must shine on Hyrule once again like he did 100 years ago in BotW's own history.

I honestly doubt we've seen him before and i think BotW is doing more with the lore and timeline of Zelda than just taking up a slot somewhere

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
All I know is that it's in the Adult Timeline, after OoT and before WW. My theory is basically that this game is WW's backstory, but it is in the ADULT Timeline. Not Child. Adult.

But I mean come on, we have Koroks and Rito, but also Zoras Gorons Gerudo and Shiekah. We have a vast landscape with a Ganon sealed in Hyrule Castle, which somewhat matches the viewable but hardly accessible Hyrule seen at the bottom of the ocean in WW. We have a Link and Zelda shown mainly in clothing that matches Link's Outset Island clothes. We have Beedle. We have small packets of civilization that probably congregate at high altitudes. And most importantly, we have a Calamity Ganon that is breaking free from his imprisonment with all Dark Realm to break loose. The pieces are fitting together, this placement works completely for me. The only issue at all is Wolf Link, but he's warped in through Amiibo anyway, so it's probably just a Goddess' blessing/divine handwave.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This isn't OOT link. In the Decline timeline he was defeated by Ganon. The argument for it being him is that he was put in a resurrection chamber to arise 100 years later.

Problem is in BoTW's trailer we see a healthy castle town beng destroyed by Ganon posessed guardians. That couldn't have happened post OOT in the decline timeline because Ganon reduced Castle Town to rubble.

So we know two things 1) this isn't an ALTTP prequel 2) It also isn't OOT link.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I also think this is a Link we haven't yet seen, as there isn't yet much to connect him to other links. I think it's post SS pre OoT mostly because the voice in the beginning of the trailer is talking about the history of the royal family and Calamity Ganon being the same.

When I hear mention of it being time to tell link what happened 100 years ago, I'm imagining we'll get cutscenes about his past. And the scene where he opens up a pod with his slate tells me we're probably going to be awakening several companions. I think the Goron, Link, Zelda, one or both Zora, The Gerudo, and the bird guy are all put to sleep at some point to reawaken later to finish some mission. But it still doesn't explain how so many iconic locations and species from different time lines are present.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I'm gonna laugh when this game is officially confirmed to set in the child timeline. And yes, BotW IS OoT Link! It was strongly hinted TWICE! Vaguely once by a Nintendo Treehouse person at E3. And very strongly in the recent trailer. Anyone who said otherwise clearly did not see the recent trailer. It is literally confirmed at this point! And OoT Link was never killed by Ganon in OoT. HH is a lie!

Zachie

Moo
I've seen the new trailer.. A bunch of times. Also, if your "proof" is the Deku Tree here's my rebuttal: he's healed in all three timelines. :)

Also, Nintendo Treehouse people don't know about the games.. They just play them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom