• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where Are the Hidden Skills?

Skyward Sword's combat was fantastic and tons of fun, but somthing that I found to be upsetting is that (with the exception of the Finishing Blow and the Shield Bash) the Hidden Skills found in Twilight Princess were absent. The Hidden Skills were one of my favorite improvements made in Twilight Princess, and I was hoping they would become a staple in Zelda. I really hope that with the next installment of Zelda the Hidden Skills will return, and perhaps new ones. So what's your opinion? Agree/disagree? Did you miss the Hidden Skills? Didnt care? Comment Away!

I don't remember having to use the hidden skills that much in TP. I really liked how SS made you use your shield a lot more though. I actually had to pay attention to what shield I had equipped, and how to use it in battle in this game. Never had to worry so much about it in past games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Agree that the hidden skills should've become a staple of the Zelda series. Otherwise, it's nothing more than use your stereotypical sword that smites evil along with some "get from point A to point B" type items. I like differing ways to demolish an enemy, but SS doesn't offer a good amount of those.

I think that Zelda Wii U and Zelda 3DS could most definitely make use of hidden skills. There's nothing more the Zelda series can do with it's current setup, and only introducing new ways for combat such as those skills can be innovative in the formula. I mean, the concept of skills obviously isn't innovative since it's been done before, but different skills than those already within the Zelda series is easily innovative. I loved the Tiger Scroll skills in Minish Cap, I loved the Hidden Skills in TP (except Mortal Draw because it was rarely if ever useful, and was too short of an animation for my tastes), and I will love any other skills that the Zelda series produces. 1:1 swordplay isn't satisfying enough.

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I don't think they were in Skyward Sword because of the fact that it uses 1:1 motion control and doing fancier moves like the helm splitter or back slice would take away from that somewhat.

Theyre different games and i thibk it was good in TP but since its wii motionplus it would be hard to have 7 hidden moves since you cant really move the remote in so many ways

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I actually think it worked better this way. It allowed the game to focus on the swordplay rather than cool moves that only artificially enhance the combat. However, I think would have been cool to see them nonetheless, and I would like to see them in future titles.

Last edited:
I love the hidden skills so much, but they wouldn't have really fit in to Skyward Sword's control system, because the hidden skills were more button-oriented.

I don't think they were in Skyward Sword because of the fact that it uses 1:1 motion control and doing fancier moves like the helm splitter or back slice would take away from that somewhat.

Yes I also think that is why Nintendo decided to reject them from Skyward Sword, but I kind of disagree with their decision. The Hidden Skills offer a deeper, more immersive, and strategical combat experience. Plus Skyward Sword still could have figured out a way to make them into 1:1 motion. They managed to figure out a way with the finishing blow and the Jump Attack. So I believe if they wanted to they could do it with the rest.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
The skills were great in TP but they weren't really necessary in SS, the combat was great as it was. The skills added a nice edge to the combat in TP but due to the 1:1 in SS, they weren't needed

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Finishing blow-Unchanged
Great spin-Skyward Strike + Spin Attack
Would have been nice to see something like the back slice
Shield attack-Better
Helm Splitter- Would have been too hard to execute
Mortal Draw-They could have done it
Jump Strike-No, the closest hey had was charging a Skyward Strike, Z-targeting, jumping, and swinging the Wiimote while in midair, and it was still good for only one enemy at a time.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
The hidden skills aren't as necessary, nor as suitable to implement into Skyward Sword. Having motion controls makes the battle system of Skyward Sword very different from that of Twilight Princess. I don't think hidden skills could've worked out in the game. That's not to say, however, that they wouldn't be awesome in future Zelda games.

oshi_yoshi

Skyloftian Night Patrol
Most of them would have been really hard to execute, such as the helm splitter and the back slice. I hated the back slice as it is, and with SS's control system it would have been harder.
TP was really button based. All you had to do was press A to execute the finishing blow. In SS you slammed the wii remote and nunchuk down. It seemed so realistic. There was just too much you had to look for in SS. Looking for a spot to call upon the Hero's Shade would have been tiring.
Plus, if you believe the OoT theory of the Hero's Shade, he doesn't even exist yet. They would've had to dream up a new character to teach Link all these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom