• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When you play through a game, do you go for completion or do you just play to enjoy the game itself?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Especially with how long games tend to be nowadays, the list of collectibles and achievements can be quite intimidating (at least for me) to go about collecting or completing.

For many gamers, playing through the game and beating it is satisfying enough. But for some, completing a game involves getting every item, collectible, etc. that a game has to offer, even if it isn't essential to beating the game itself (BotW's Korok seeds or Mario Odyssey's Power Moons, for example).

I usually don't take the time to 100% most games because I don't have the patience to track everything down and I get a bit stressed if I focus on trying to look for everything. BotW was a bit of an exception to this in that I searched for and found all 120 shrines because I wanted the Of the Wild set. But I still won't be getting all the Korok seeds. It would take more time than I'm willing to give to it.

So how do you approach playing a game? Do you play to get everything there is to get, or do you just play through in a more casual way, enjoying the game without being concerned with getting 100%?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I do both. I do everything there is to do simply because it's there to be done. However, there are some cases where I won't do a thing if it's not fun. Sometimes I'll power through tedium but that's on a case-by-case basis. The point of a video game is to have fun, and for me, getting everything is part of that fun.

I always just play to enjoy myself but if I really love the game then I'll chip away at it over time to reach the 100%.

The 100% would happen naturally though, I wouldn't make a mission of it, I'd just be compelled to play the game and do more.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
It depends on the game, how much I get into it and how badly I actually want to 100% it. For several years I've definitely been more of a completionist when it comes to games and aimed to 100% a game if possible (and am kinda in the middle of doing so right now with Animal Crossing: New Horizons, lol), which did mean I'd just stay on the same game for a long time and not touch other games until I was finally 100% done with the game I was playing. Though when I started really going through my backlog last year, I cared more about finishing the game than actually trying to do everything possible in the game. Moving forward it'll definitely just be a case-by-case thing with each game I play.

I used to play games to 100% completion just to know that I had done everything there was to do & wasn't missing out on some cool Easter egg or extra content.

Now it depends on what 100% is to that game. If it gets too tedious/repetitive to the point its detracting from the enjoyment of the game then I usually won't bother.

It depends on the game. If 100%ing the game is reasonable then I'll aim for it. However if the developers pull a dickish move and put a grandmaster style level at the end of the game, well ***** that. I'll try it but I'll not grind it for weeks to beat it.
Nintendo is infamous for pulling stunts like this.

Quin

Disaster Master
Depends on how much I like the game, and if I wanna continue at it to get everything out of the game. With the excepetion being Zelda, as I try to 100% all of the mainline games, even the ones that aren't that great. (TFH is hell to 100%)

Ofcourse, a lot factors into this. I love Morrowind, but I'm not crazy enough to ever 100% that, even though I tried.
Trying to 100% Ghost of tsushima right now. Didn't expect to like it this much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom