• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda When Will Potions Drain?

There is some potion draining in the series but its not a detail that appears very often, one example is in OoT 3D with milk which can be used twice, after one use the level of the milk drops to about half full and then to empty after another use, this is one of very few examples I know of with absolute certainty

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why? Explain why this is difficult. I fail to understand, it just requires some better animation is all.

Can you do this "better animation"? If not, there you have it. If it were "just better animation" as you say, you'd see many more games doing this in and out of the graphically-inclined-games realm. If you don't see prestigious companies like Rockstar doing it, then companies who are prone to having minimal physics in their games like Nintendo DEFINITELY won't do it.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Answer: Because the smaller thing is easier for them to do; it takes less time.

Taking in one sentence from a post rather than receiving it as a whole can really hinder the meaning behind the post. First of all, smaller things don't necessarily take less time. You'd be surprised how difficult something as simple as rupee physics can complicate game making, particularly in the coding. What seems like a small thing to people who don't work on the project can be a huge thing to those who do. Second of all, the entire point of my post was that there are reasons the little things don't always get worked on. One reason is that they may not matter as much as certain other details, another is that they make a game too much like real life to the point that it enters an uncanny valley, etc.

CPainter307

Lost Woods Explorer
Taking in one sentence from a post rather than receiving it as a whole can really hinder the meaning behind the post. First of all, smaller things don't necessarily take less time. You'd be surprised how difficult something as simple as rupee physics can complicate game making, particularly in the coding. What seems like a small thing to people who don't work on the project can be a huge thing to those who do. Second of all, the entire point of my post was that there are reasons the little things don't always get worked on. One reason is that they may not matter as much as certain other details, another is that they make a game too much like real life to the point that it enters an uncanny valley, etc.

This is true, but I don't know if simply making the potions drain would cause the game to enter "an uncanny valley." I mean, the potion draining doesn't bother me at all; I've hardly noticed it. But, a simple animation where the potion slowly vanishes as Link drinks it wouldn't be that time consuming or difficult, especially with some of the other things they did in the game. I'm certainly not saying that this is a flaw, or even something to get up in arms about. It wouldn't have hurt if they did it, and it doesn't hurt that they didn't.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
This is true, but I don't know if simply making the potions drain would cause the game to enter "an uncanny valley." I mean, the potion draining doesn't bother me at all; I've hardly noticed it. But, a simple animation where the potion slowly vanishes as Link drinks it wouldn't be that time consuming or difficult, especially with some of the other things they did in the game. I'm certainly not saying that this is a flaw, or even something to get up in arms about. It wouldn't have hurt if they did it, and it doesn't hurt that they didn't.

Are you speaking from experience? Again, there are many things about game making, or any type of craft, that are actually complicated but seem easy to do. One can't assume that just because it seems simple that it is. Professionals artists draw grand pictures every day, but some of them still have trouble drawing hands.
Here's a more relatable example. The Jak and Daxter series is a game that is filled with all sorts of great animations. People flying on crafts, explosions happening, great facial gestures, etc. There is one scene in Jak 3 where Jak pulls down his scarf before kissing a girl. If you play the commentary during that scene, the animators tell you that the girl was actually supposed to be the one to pull Jak's scarf off of his face before they kissed, but having two characters make contact with an object inbetween them is a rather difficult thing to do in animation. Something as simple as making one character touch a scarf on another character is difficult to pull off despite all the what we would call "difficult" things that have been accomplished.

And I'm not saying that potion draining alone would make Zelda enter the "uncanny valley" (though I'm not saying that's completely impossible either). But once you fix potion draining, whats to stop you from doing adjusting with all the other minor not-to-real-life inconsistencies that Zelda has. Why is potion draining special? Since you've done that, might as well fix the Epona teleporting problem... and the fact that Link doesn't have an animation of actually picking up rupees... and the fact that Link's iron boots only work when he puts them on. Sure you might think that potion draining would be a nice touch up to the game, but the next Person feels just as strong about the next unrealistic trait. If all these traits are met, you've diverged from what was once a game to what is now a tedious task that is almost just like real life, but isn't exactly real life.

I think people are missing the point of my post. I'm not saying that potion draining is necessarily a hard task, it might not be. I'm not saying potion draining, or any minor detail, will make Zelda enter the uncanny valley, it may not. What I'm saying is that it is highly likely Nintendo has justifiable reasons not to worry about certain details like this. If potion draining is added, I don't think it'll be the end for the Zelda series, in fact, I'd probably love it. And there are plenty of games that do minor details which I highly appreciate and even think make the game that much better. All I'm saying is that game companies have worthy excuses for ignoring some little things, and in the case of potion draining, I'm not mad at them for doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom