• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When was the last time a game completely blew your mind?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Whether you play a lot of games, or only a few games a year, sometimes that rare moment comes. The one where you stumble upon a game, or get a game you've been waiting for for a long time. The one that just goes BOOM - and blows you away completely, leaving you stunned, thinking that oh my god, this is one of the best games I've played.

When was the last time for you when such a magical thing happened?

I'll go first - it was Tetris Effect, my game of the year 2018. I thought it looked fancy, and it was Tetris, so hey, let's buy it. I did NOT expect it to have such a killer soundtrack, beautiful visuals and overall be a mind-blowing, ethereal experience that really touched me.

Aside from Tetris Effect, a special tip of the hat to Sekiro, best combat ever.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Baba is You blew my mind.

Probably one of the most simple, yet clever ideas for a game I've ever seen, with so much potential.

The constant realizations of "wait, I can do THIS???" result in a game where you're constantly being amazed by what you're able to accomplish in situations where the task at hand initially seems impossible.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
The first Trails in the Sky game.

I had heard some friends over on SF hype it up as being great, but didn't bother checking it out until a couple months ago. Man, when I did though, it quickly became one of my favorite games I've played.

The thing is, it's not that Trails' writing is particularly unique or complex, but that the story and characters that are there are so well-written and likable that I was hooked and am now playing through the second game in the trilogy. I'll also likely keep playing the rest of the series over time, even if the later games don't match the quality of the original trilogy.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Persona 5 Royal. I had already played and loved Persona 5, and was excited to see what new they could do with it. The extra content was well worth it! I feel like it added a lot to the story and was really well done. It made me fall in love with Persona 5 all over again.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I guess I could say smash ultimate was the last time a game blew my mind, but that was mainly the trailers that did that. I already knew the game would be fantastic before I played it.

so just before that I’d say Doki Doki literature club. Yes, I know it’s a “fad” game, but it really does do its genre well

for the 3 people who find already know this; DDLC is a “game” that starts out as a simple dating sim, but about halfway through turns into a psychological horror game completely out of nowhere. I generally don’t like the horror genre, but DDLC does it so well that I can’t help but admire it.

If youve never played DDLC and know nothing about it, please do. Or you could just watch a let’s play, you’ll pretty much get the same experience with that.

Probably Persona 5. Totally not my thing till I tried it out and everything changed. Now I really like it.
Now I really also like Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom